HomerSimpson1
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Does this ever annoy any teachers?

I was secondary maths; I hate it by the way.

Went to music (I can also teach music).

All pressure is off in some schools.

Even more annoyingly, I looked at the national curriculum, it is loose and 6 pages long.

Maths about 40 pages long. I'm I doing NQT in music, or SEN, or PRU. or primary maths.

The people leaving must be maths and English.
Last edited by HomerSimpson1; 2 weeks ago
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The people leaving are very much Maths. That's why Maths get the jobs. And due to the increased demand from the government on Maths and English SLTs are usually discriminative (not in an illegal sense) between Maths and English and "options" subjects like Music.
HomerSimpson1
Rep:
?
Discriminative?

I went to music, GCSE was optional and the lesson very relaxed (we just did band practise).
The pupils were allowed to mark their own papers... what a difference? I was mathematics!!!
hotpud
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by HomerSimpson1)
Does this ever annoying any teachers?

I was secondary maths; I hate it by the way.

Went to music (I can also teach music).

All pressure is off in some schools.

Even more annoyingly, I looked at the national curriculum, it is loose and 6 pages long.

Maths about 40 pages long. I'm I doing NQT in music, or SEN, or PRU. Or primary maths.

The people leaving must be maths and English.
Absolutely. Maths and English also count for double in the Progress 8 score. That said, in music, you always have the sword of Damocles hanging over your head. If kids don't choose it you are in a sticky position and of course there is always the chance the cash strapped school might invest elsewhere.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by HomerSimpson1)
Discriminative?
Yes. For instance I know a school where, over lockdown, teaching staff were asked to support the children of key workers on a shift basis. Most teachers needed to do this 3 times as often as core teachers (Maths, English, Science). The reasoning was that these core subjects were covering more zoom lessons than the other subjects. Hence there is discrimination between teachers of different subjects from SLT in this instance.

I'm not saying that the decision was right or wrong, the point is staff are sometimes treated rather differently depending on which subject they are delivering.

PE Teacher? Could you cover this Geography class every week because the timetable is short? You wouldn't see an English teacher get asked that.
HomerSimpson1
Rep:
?
I am currently looking for music, i'll see how it goes, I am optimistic. I (may) go back to secondary mathematics part-time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (171)
41.71%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (61)
14.88%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (170)
41.46%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
1.95%

Watched Threads