Beckyx234
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hey guys!! ive got a 6 marker to complete and to be honest i simply dont get it, ive used revision notes, online resources and my brains gone blank im really struggling, the question is "Explain how change can have short term and long effects on ecosystems"
please could someone write me a summary of what to write and ill expand on the points. thank you x
Shy oreo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m studying geography for GCSEs so I’ll try my best:
- climate change will alter how species live and interact. they will have to learn how to mitigate with extreme events/disturbances like droughts floods and droughts. (Which is happening in Australia)
- Extreme fishing : can cause a huge disturbance in the food chain. utrients such as nitrogen (N) and phosphorus (P) are critical for supporting the productivity of plants and micro- organisms at the base of aquatic food webs. Fish play an important role in nutrient cycles because they store a large proportion of ecosystem nutrients in their tissues, transport nutrients farther than other aquatic animals and excrete nutrients in dissolved forms that are readily available to primary producers.
It’ll affect growth of algae and cause long term problems
Ðeggs
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This question is very broad so I would focus on one type of change (short-term climate change, long term climate change, land-use change etc). I'll use the example of a salt marsh here.

Short-term diurnal tidal changes at high-tide and low-tide expose or inundate different regions of the salt marsh which influences the distribution of species within the salt marsh, plants which can tolerate high amounts of salt (halopyhtes) are located in the lower marsh and seaward areas with brackish water where the freshwater and saltwater mixes, whereas species or plants that can't tolerate a large amount of water are located in the higher and landward areas of the salt marsh. The long-term impact of rising sea levels will slowly inundate more salt marsh and high-tide, which will change the composition of the vegetation and habitable zones for ground-nesting wader birds for example.
Beckyx234
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Shy oreo)
I’m studying geography for GCSEs so I’ll try my best:
- climate change will alter how species live and interact. they will have to learn how to mitigate with extreme events/disturbances like droughts floods and droughts. (Which is happening in Australia)
- Extreme fishing : can cause a huge disturbance in the food chain. utrients such as nitrogen (N) and phosphorus (P) are critical for supporting the productivity of plants and micro- organisms at the base of aquatic food webs. Fish play an important role in nutrient cycles because they store a large proportion of ecosystem nutrients in their tissues, transport nutrients farther than other aquatic animals and excrete nutrients in dissolved forms that are readily available to primary producers.
It’ll affect growth of algae and cause long term problems
thank you!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (8)
9.2%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (57)
65.52%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (12)
13.79%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (9)
10.34%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
1.15%

Watched Threads