The Student Room Group

How do you revise?

Right now I’m revising and I can’t process any information in my mind. I’m doing my GCSE’s next year. How am I supposed to revise to get 6-9 grades for science? Please any tips
hiii
so revision is something i have struggled with a lot.
what i would say is to start by watching videos and reading textbooks to understand the information, this is the most important part especially if you dont understand whats going on in class half the time (which is me lol). once you feel as though you understand now, make notes but not usual notes. i think you should turn the notes from the textbook or wherever you get your content from, and turn them into questions for yourself. you can put these on mindmaps, flashcards or in a list format. repeatedly test yourself over these questions and make piles. the testing yourself part is crucial so for example, test yourself on like one flashcard, if u get it put it in the next pile up and continue to do this repeatedly as often as you can leading up to your exam.
remember to take regular breaks.
good luck :smile:
I suggest writing a timetable, I'm currently creating one for the Easter holiday. Although I'm not taking any major exams this year, I have autism and anxiety, and having a timetable where I can see what I'm doing and when really helps me. It relaxes me and it means I don't stress about not doing enough work/revision as I know that I have put it in a specific time. It means I don't get behind and although it could seem a bit strange to start the timetable it really helps over the long term. I hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Imsosad123
Right now I’m revising and I can’t process any information in my mind. I’m doing my GCSE’s next year. How am I supposed to revise to get 6-9 grades for science? Please any tips

Read over your textbooks multiple times and make notes with the book closed and then fill in what you missed with another colour and repeat until there are no blanks left in your knowledge.

Past papers are also your best friend! And ask teachers for help - you have the right to understand every topic they teach you so ask them to go over things you don’t understand.

Stay organised from day one!
Reply 4
Original post by ameelia.xo
hiii
so revision is something i have struggled with a lot.
what i would say is to start by watching videos and reading textbooks to understand the information, this is the most important part especially if you dont understand whats going on in class half the time (which is me lol). once you feel as though you understand now, make notes but not usual notes. i think you should turn the notes from the textbook or wherever you get your content from, and turn them into questions for yourself. you can put these on mindmaps, flashcards or in a list format. repeatedly test yourself over these questions and make piles. the testing yourself part is crucial so for example, test yourself on like one flashcard, if u get it put it in the next pile up and continue to do this repeatedly as often as you can leading up to your exam.
remember to take regular breaks.
good luck :smile:

Thank you so much this was so helpful! I started making the flash cards after reading this :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by hxnnxh_13.11.06
I suggest writing a timetable, I'm currently creating one for the Easter holiday. Although I'm not taking any major exams this year, I have autism and anxiety, and having a timetable where I can see what I'm doing and when really helps me. It relaxes me and it means I don't stress about not doing enough work/revision as I know that I have put it in a specific time. It means I don't get behind and although it could seem a bit strange to start the timetable it really helps over the long term. I hope this helps :smile:

Omgg I have really bad anxiety so this could help because I feel like my life is really disorganised lol. Thank you so much!
Reply 6
Original post by Peony123
Read over your textbooks multiple times and make notes with the book closed and then fill in what you missed with another colour and repeat until there are no blanks left in your knowledge.

Past papers are also your best friend! And ask teachers for help - you have the right to understand every topic they teach you so ask them to go over things you don’t understand.

Stay organised from day one!

Thank you!!
Original post by Imsosad123

hey pm me and i will help you with it xx
I have one tip to add: try explaining concepts or facts to other people once you understand them. This really helped me retain knowledge.

Also, you might find learning podcasts useful - I particularly liked some which are made by Seneca as they explain something to you and then ask questions to test your knowledge, but it still feels quite relaxing as you’re not sitting at a desk. If you just search on Spotify “Revise GCSE Chemistry” (or whichever subject) then you can find them.
Good luck with your revision! :smile:
I want to revise like what I’ve said below, but I don’t because I’m lazy and tend to cram :emo:

I think there are two aspects to revision:
1) Learning and understanding the content
2) Exam technique

So basically, for the first one, I try to make flashcards in advance and do them on a regular basis. And if I don’t understand a certain topic, I go on YouTube or ask my teacher etc. I think understanding the topic is so so important as it makes revising content so much easier, ie. you don’t have to memorise things rigorously as you already have a grasp of what going on. I also try to use active recall: I read a page of a textbook/revision guide then close it and write everything I just read on a plain piece of paper. And then I see what I missed out. Flashcards don’t work for certain subjects so I just read and understand and then move on to the second point.

Exam technique is crucial. You may know everything about something but you might not know how to get full marks on that exam question. I hate markschemes and how picky they are but hey ho. For this one, just loads and loads of past papers and practice questions and then marking them.
Original post by summerberry19
I want to revise like what I’ve said below, but I don’t because I’m lazy and tend to cram :emo:

I think there are two aspects to revision:
1) Learning and understanding the content
2) Exam technique

So basically, for the first one, I try to make flashcards in advance and do them on a regular basis. And if I don’t understand a certain topic, I go on YouTube or ask my teacher etc. I think understanding the topic is so so important as it makes revising content so much easier, ie. you don’t have to memorise things rigorously as you already have a grasp of what going on. I also try to use active recall: I read a page of a textbook/revision guide then close it and write everything I just read on a plain piece of paper. And then I see what I missed out. Flashcards don’t work for certain subjects so I just read and understand and then move on to the second point.

Exam technique is crucial. You may know everything about something but you might not know how to get full marks on that exam question. I hate markschemes and how picky they are but hey ho. For this one, just loads and loads of past papers and practice questions and then marking them.

Plain sheet of paper method, aye. I see you :smile:
Original post by CaptainDuckie
Plain sheet of paper method, aye. I see you :smile:

:five:

Quick Reply

Latest