Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi! i got accepted to, Leeds, CSM, Slade, Newcastle, GSA but I am having a really hard time making a choice.
I got into the Fine arts and history of art bachelor at leeds, I have read about their program and I think it is really interesting to study art but also have the possibility of having a real campus uni experience. also it is cheaper than London. However I am worried that the facilities may not be that good for art, or that the professors may not be as good as other unis, anyone that knows about this would be of great help!
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi, I've moved your thread to the Art and Design uni courses forum Hopefully you might be able to get some advice from people studying such a course soon! In the meantime PQ might also be able to offer some recommendations on what to look for in making a decision. Remember you don't need to make a decision until June 10 at the earliest, so take the time to consider your options!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi! i got accepted to, Leeds, CSM, Slade, Newcastle, GSA but I am having a really hard time making a choice.
I got into the Fine arts and history of art bachelor at leeds, I have read about their program and I think it is really interesting to study art but also have the possibility of having a real campus uni experience. also it is cheaper than London. However I am worried that the facilities may not be that good for art, or that the professors may not be as good as other unis, anyone that knows about this would be of great help!
For fine art it's important to find somewhere that works for you as a creative environment. The best professors in the world can't help you if the studio space is unsuitable for you to use or you're mentally exhausted after commuting across the city or you're physically and mentally exhausted from working long hours to afford your rent. Your choices are all quite limited in terms of the range of art & design courses they offer (they're old fashioned universities that have "kept" an art school with fine art and maybe one or two other disciplines (apart from GSA) rather than more industry focused art universities with a range of creative and design courses available) - so you're not likely to have much option to switch to a different course (like illustration) if you find it's not a good fit like if you'd applied to UAL, LAU, AUB and UCA.

Have a look at the online graduate shows from 2020 to get a feel for the variety and types of art that the different courses support. If you're a painter and a course concentrates mainly on installations or sculpture (and there's no clean studio available to paint in) then it's not going to be a good fit. Likewise if you're interested in ceramics and there's no kiln available then you'll be struggling to thrive. Or if you want to include printmaking or photography or film in your work and there's no physical printroom/presses, dark rooms or cameras available to loan.

If you can see if you can visit (in person or virtually) the studios and try to talk to current first, second and third year students about what studio space availability and resources are like.

There's no single right answer - you just need to find the course, university and place where you think you'll thrive and be able to do your best work.
MaRad4
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hey, if it helps at all I have a friend who does fine art at Leeds and she loves it, thinks the facilities are great and is really glad she came here. The fine art building is beautiful. I also have a friend who does history of art and she thinks the course is great and super well rounded: she doesn't do art, but knows a lot of people who do the dual honours and really enjoy it. I get the sense that fine art and history of art would really enrich each other, and Leeds definitely aims to draw them together.

Leeds on the whole is great, much much cheaper than London and has a really nice campus. It's a Russell Group, so realistically the facilities, resources, and professors are still going to be very good and of a high standard. Leeds is actually 5th in the UK for art and design: from your list I think only Newcastle is above (they're 2nd) but obviously I don't know the course details.

I hope this helps at all!
lolita1234
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thank you!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (126)
4.9%
Uncertainty around my education (381)
14.83%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (285)
11.09%
Lack of purpose or motivation (362)
14.09%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (120)
4.67%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (155)
6.03%
Loneliness (218)
8.49%
Financial worries (94)
3.66%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (106)
4.13%
Exposure to negative news/social media (120)
4.67%
Lack of real life entertainment (135)
5.25%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (225)
8.76%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (242)
9.42%

Watched Threads