easytiger09
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi,

I applied for student finance as a mature student who will be 'living away from home' as I am currently living in Kent. I received notification that I am eligible for full maintenance.

However, come September I will need to end my tenancy to move either to uni halls or somewhere closer to uni because I won't be able to cover the cost of my flat which is 320 miles away from uni- so i guess technically I will have no fixed abode.

Outside of term time I will most likely be living in temporary accommodation back in Kent or with friends but no idea yet. So my question is am I considered as 'living at home' if I move to the area of my university? I can't find much information as I doubt many people make themselves intentionally homeless to attend uni but I know I would be entitled to less maintenance if 'I live at home'. Can anyone help please!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by easytiger09)
Hi,

I applied for student finance as a mature student who will be 'living away from home' as I am currently living in Kent. I received notification that I am eligible for full maintenance.

However, come September I will need to end my tenancy to move either to uni halls or somewhere closer to uni because I won't be able to cover the cost of my flat which is 320 miles away from uni- so i guess technically I will have no fixed abode.

Outside of term time I will most likely be living in temporary accommodation back in Kent or with friends but no idea yet. So my question is am I considered as 'living at home' if I move to the area of my university? I can't find much information as I doubt many people make themselves intentionally homeless to attend uni but I know I would be entitled to less maintenance if 'I live at home'. Can anyone help please!
The question isn’t “do you live at home” the question is where will you live “with your parents” or “away from home/in my own home”. It doesn’t matter if that’s your long term home/pre university home or halls/a shared flat and you aren’t asked at all about where you live outside term time (except for making sure that SFE have a reliable postal address to send letters to). If you’re not living with your parents then you’ll be eligible for the “away from home” amount.
easytiger09
Rep:
?
Yes, but if I decided to move in with my partner for example within the next few months then won’t they need to assess his income aswell? When my address changes my circumstances essentially change too so I don’t know where that leaves me really.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes, but if I decided to move in with my partner for example within the next few months then won’t they need to assess his income aswell? When my address changes my circumstances essentially change too so I don’t know where that leaves me really.
Unless your partner is your parent (ew) then it doesn’t change your status in terms of “live at home” “live away” during term time.

You say you’re a mature student: how mature?
easytiger09
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Unless your partner is your parent (ew) then it doesn’t change your status in terms of “live at home” “live away” during term time.

You say you’re a mature student: how mature?
I’m 33
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I’m 33
then yes as an independent student your partner's income would be asked for as part of your household income assessment if you move in together
Lianaoc
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Helpful thread. Thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (190)
5.06%
Uncertainty around my education (552)
14.69%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (420)
11.18%
Lack of purpose or motivation (517)
13.76%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (187)
4.98%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (224)
5.96%
Loneliness (315)
8.38%
Financial worries (138)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (145)
3.86%
Exposure to negative news/social media (168)
4.47%
Lack of real life entertainment (213)
5.67%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (335)
8.92%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (353)
9.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed