Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi! I'm currently trying to decide whether to firm LSE for Sociology or Durham for Combined Honours in Social Sciences (for politics, IR, and sociology) - I really can't make up my mind. I think I'd prefer Durham in terms of the financial aspect and living situation, but I'm more impressed by the quality of LSE's research (even if I wish their Sociology degree was more interdisciplinary). Would anyone be able to offer their opinion on where I should go? Thank you in advance
Hensin
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi! I'm currently trying to decide whether to firm LSE for Sociology or Durham for Combined Honours in Social Sciences (for politics, IR, and sociology) - I really can't make up my mind. I think I'd prefer Durham in terms of the financial aspect and living situation, but I'm more impressed by the quality of LSE's research (even if I wish their Sociology degree was more interdisciplinary). Would anyone be able to offer their opinion on where I should go? Thank you in advance
Both are exceptional universities, so it makes sense you can't decide! I'd recommend you look into a few things, e.g. how students felt about their time at these universities, what it's like to live in the area, and more importantly future prospects. If you want a future many companies will be impressed by, both are good options, but LSE might be slightly better in some regard. However, that isn't to say Durham isn't good either. If you can, try and contact some professors over at these universities, and ask them about the course, what it's like, and what to expect. Compare and contrast, and finalise based on which one you'll regret not going to more.
Tashax2
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
LSE, Durham seems very elitist ( have a search on YouTube and search for why I dropped out of Durham by Gracie Smith). I watched it out curiosity and it doesn’t seem like a great place. LSE seems more a diverse place and it’s in a great city with great connections!
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Hensin)
Both are exceptional universities, so it makes sense you can't decide! I'd recommend you look into a few things, e.g. how students felt about their time at these universities, what it's like to live in the area, and more importantly future prospects. If you want a future many companies will be impressed by, both are good options, but LSE might be slightly better in some regard. However, that isn't to say Durham isn't good either. If you can, try and contact some professors over at these universities, and ask them about the course, what it's like, and what to expect. Compare and contrast, and finalise based on which one you'll regret not going to more.
Thank you for the great advice! I'll definitely try to get in contact with some of the students and lecturers if I can
(Original post by Tashax2)
LSE, Durham seems very elitist ( have a search on YouTube and search for why I dropped out of Durham by Gracie Smith). I watched it out curiosity and it doesn’t seem like a great place. LSE seems more a diverse place and it’s in a great city with great connections!
Yeah LSE does seem more diverse in many ways. Thank you for responding!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (136)
4.83%
Uncertainty around my education (413)
14.67%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (316)
11.22%
Lack of purpose or motivation (395)
14.03%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (127)
4.51%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (171)
6.07%
Loneliness (245)
8.7%
Financial worries (101)
3.59%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (113)
4.01%
Exposure to negative news/social media (131)
4.65%
Lack of real life entertainment (152)
5.4%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (248)
8.81%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (268)
9.52%

Watched Threads