The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial College London Physics Offer Holders 2021

I haven't seen any threads about offer holders for physics so decided to make one myself. I thought it would be a good idea for us to get to know each other before October.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by efefeee
I haven't seen any threads about offer holders for physics so decided to make one myself. I thought it would be a good idea for us to get to know each other before October.

Yes I think that’s great.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Einstein 100
Yes I think that’s great.

Hi! Are you international or home?
Reply 3
Hey, not an offer holder, but was wondering if u guys could give some tips and info on ur experience, and where you think you did well, and not so well. Thanks :smile:
Original post by efefeee
Hi! Are you international or home?

International
Reply 5
Original post by user342
Hey, not an offer holder, but was wondering if u guys could give some tips and info on ur experience, and where you think you did well, and not so well. Thanks :smile:

well for this year it's hard to say since we didn't do interviews. however i think it was my personal statement that really gave me the edge, and that's off other people's opinion too not just mine. I don't think grades mattered as much due to the fact that pretty much everyone has svery similar grades
Original post by efefeee
well for this year it's hard to say since we didn't do interviews. however i think it was my personal statement that really gave me the edge, and that's off other people's opinion too not just mine. I don't think grades mattered as much due to the fact that pretty much everyone has svery similar grades

Yeah I totally agree. I’m quite sure it was my personal statement that tipped me over the edge as well (and some luck too lol). Obviously you still need to have the right grades but everyone does
What were some extracurricular activities or extra things that you did (outside of your qualifications) related to Physics? Anything that might’ve set you apart from other applicants?
Original post by efefeee

Original post by awesome54326
Yeah I totally agree. I’m quite sure it was my personal statement that tipped me over the edge as well (and some luck too lol). Obviously you still need to have the right grades but everyone does

What do you think made your personal statement stand out?
Original post by appima080

Umm I guess I did the normal things like talking about books I’ve read, I also brought up a summer camp thing I did on quantum cryptography and my physics YouTube channel. I also focussed on maths and talked about the maths club I made with a friend and the competitions we’ve done (not that I did particularly well at them). I briefly mentioned I was learning python and talked about my physics extended essay (sort of like an EPQ but the IB equivalent) on shuttlecock drag. Maybe I said some other things that weren’t physics/maths related but I can’t remember anymore…
Reply 10

for me, I'd say the books I've read which kind of took me from A level to undergrad. I completed an EPQ that was related to physics and I mentioned the physics and maths olympiads I took part in. I also briefly talked about the new skills i was learning such as coding. i'm definitley missing something out but that's the most of it!

I would say 80 or 90% of your personal statements should be about academics (physics(as a subject) , competitions, also it would be nice if you add your own perspective ( in a theory or idea that is related to physics)
For me personally it was the above plus the 10% where I talked about art (painting) and how it helped me show (any idea in mind - specially physics ideas) to people.
Original post by awesome54326
Umm I guess I did the normal things like talking about books I’ve read, I also brought up a summer camp thing I did on quantum cryptography and my physics YouTube channel. I also focussed on maths and talked about the maths club I made with a friend and the competitions we’ve done (not that I did particularly well at them). I briefly mentioned I was learning python and talked about my physics extended essay (sort of like an EPQ but the IB equivalent) on shuttlecock drag. Maybe I said some other things that weren’t physics/maths related but I can’t remember anymore…

Original post by efefeee
for me, I'd say the books I've read which kind of took me from A level to undergrad. I completed an EPQ that was related to physics and I mentioned the physics and maths olympiads I took part in. I also briefly talked about the new skills i was learning such as coding. i'm definitley missing something out but that's the most of it!

Original post by Einstein 100
I would say 80 or 90% of your personal statements should be about academics (physics(as a subject) , competitions, also it would be nice if you add your own perspective ( in a theory or idea that is related to physics)
For me personally it was the above plus the 10% where I talked about art (painting) and how it helped me show (any idea in mind - specially physics ideas) to people.

WOW! I can see why you guys got offers - amazing work! Congratulations! What do you guys hope to do in the future? Anything in particular you want to research or get involved with or place you want to work?

I guess I'm just trying to figure out why I was rejected (I am a home mature student so perhaps that might have something to do with it) considering that I applied having already gotten my grades for my Advanced Highers (Physics, Mathematics and Chemistry) got all A's plus I've done IB and AP qualifications as well (got the highest possible grades in all of them).

I've done engineering and biotech internships and placements, completed courses online for physics and computer science (including Imperial's own online Mathematics and Further Mathematics courses), read books on pure mathematics and classical physics, and tutored students in Physics and Mathematics (all of which I included in my personal statement and my referee included this in their reference along with additional volunteering and charity projects that I've been involved in).

I've reached out to Imperial for feedback but just continue to get the same generic reply of "We receive many more applications than we have places to offer. As such, the level of competition for places is extremely high. The admissions panel judged that your application wasn’t considered sufficiently competitive to receive an offer of admission on this occasion. We thank you for your application and interest to pursue our programme.".

In comparison to some of those who received offers I can't help but feel as though I'm either as competitive or in some cases more competitive than them and would just like clear justification from Imperial for their choice to not give me an offer.
Reply 13
Current student for physics if you want to ask anything :smile:
Reply 14
WOW! I can see why you guys got offers - amazing work! Congratulations! What do you guys hope to do in the future? Anything in particular you want to research or get involved with or place you want to work?

I guess I'm just trying to figure out why I was rejected (I am a home mature student so perhaps that might have something to do with it) considering that I applied having already gotten my grades for my Advanced Highers (Physics, Mathematics and Chemistry) got all A's plus I've done IB and AP qualifications as well (got the highest possible grades in all of them).

I've done engineering and biotech internships and placements, completed courses online for physics and computer science (including Imperial's own online Mathematics and Further Mathematics courses), read books on pure mathematics and classical physics, and tutored students in Physics and Mathematics (all of which I included in my personal statement and my referee included this in their reference along with additional volunteering and charity projects that I've been involved in).

I've reached out to Imperial for feedback but just continue to get the same generic reply of "We receive many more applications than we have places to offer. As such, the level of competition for places is extremely high. The admissions panel judged that your application wasn’t considered sufficiently competitive to receive an offer of admission on this occasion. We thank you for your application and interest to pursue our programme.".

In comparison to some of those who received offers I can't help but feel as though I'm either as competitive or in some cases more competitive than them and would just like clear justification from Imperial for their choice to not give me an offer.

Thank you very much!! I hope to complete a Ph.D. after my degree and want to solve problems and develop pre-existing theories (so basically becoming a full-time physics nerd). And as for your application, by the looks of it, it sounds amazing and I'd expect someone like you to have an offer. But I also think due to last year a number of people are deferred entry which added to the level of competition. I saw an email in the original thread where someone received an email as to why they were rejected and it seemed very informative and talked about the strengths and weaknesses of the applicant which in my opinion is a much better response than the usual "the level of competition was high this year...". But I do wish you the very best in your future!
Reply 15
Original post by Sinnoh
Current student for physics if you want to ask anything :smile:

Hi! I can't help but ask, what would you suggest we should do from now and whilst we join in October to ensure we can achieve grades such as a first. I want to be as prepared as possible and make an impression on the teachers if you understand. Thank you
Reply 16
Original post by efefeee
Hi! I can't help but ask, what would you suggest we should do from now and whilst we join in October to ensure we can achieve grades such as a first. I want to be as prepared as possible and make an impression on the teachers if you understand. Thank you

The course starts from the very basics so you don't need to start busting out the maths books before you start to get a first, what I would recommend though is getting comfortable with using Python.

If you are going to be buying textbooks, wait until you start - the lecturers may be able to get you discounts, or you might not have to buy them at all since a few of the big ones are available online for free to students.
What were some extracurricular activities or extra things that you did (outside of your qualifications) related to Physics? Anything that might’ve set you apart from other applicants?

hi! i think the main thing that stood out was probably that i set up a physics club at school - i did a few presentations and led demonstrations for everyone! i’m also doing an EPQ on quantum gravity, which i linked to the books ive read. i attended lectures as well. i think it was all partially down to the luck of the draw too:,D
is anyone else worried about how high their offer is?! i definitely feel like i can’t relax at all until a level results day
Original post by sophiehann
is anyone else worried about how high their offer is?! i definitely feel like i can’t relax at all until a level results day

Yeah I totally agree. My IB conditional offer is insanity (42 out of 45 points). A lot of my friends going to the US have totally relaxed now but I’m stuck continuing to stress

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending