The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial College London Physics Offer Holders 2021

Scroll to see replies

Original post by awesome54326
Yeah I totally agree. My IB conditional offer is insanity (42 out of 45 points). A lot of my friends going to the US have totally relaxed now but I’m stuck continuing to stress

my offer is 3 A*s!!! it’s so stressful because i need an A* in further maths too, which is notoriously hard work and i’m in a class w some other people who are great at it too, so i’ve just got my fingers crossed at this point!:,(
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by sophiehann
my offer is 3 A*s!!! it’s so stressful because i need an A* in further maths too, which is notoriously hard work and i’m in a class w some other people who are great at it too, so i’ve just got my fingers crossed at this point!:,(

Yeah good luck. I’m worried cause not only would I need 7s in maths, chemistry and physics but I’d also need a 7 in either French or English, which I’m no good at.
Reply 22
Original post by Sinnoh
The course starts from the very basics so you don't need to start busting out the maths books before you start to get a first, what I would recommend though is getting comfortable with using Python.

If you are going to be buying textbooks, wait until you start - the lecturers may be able to get you discounts, or you might not have to buy them at all since a few of the big ones are available online for free to students.

Thank you I've noted that down! And what would you suggest is the best way to do so? Would youtube videos be good enough?
Reply 23
is anyone else worried about how high their offer is?! i definitely feel like i can’t relax at all until a level results day

My offer is A*A*A which I guess I should be thankful for since I've seen people with 3 A* offers. I think the A*A part of the offer is fine but I need an A* in maths which i need to bust my ass for.
Original post by awesome54326
Yeah good luck. I’m worried cause not only would I need 7s in maths, chemistry and physics but I’d also need a 7 in either French or English, which I’m no good at.

good luck to you too! i hope it all goes well for you:,D it’ll be a bit tough for us all but i’ve got my fingers crossed
Original post by efefeee
Thank you I've noted that down! And what would you suggest is the best way to do so? Would youtube videos be good enough?

Since I’m doing python I would say YouTube is full of great tutoring videos + “learn python the hard way” book was such a great help ( it starts at the vert basics)
Reply 26
Original post by efefeee

Yeah there is a lot there on youtube to get started with. Object-oriented programming only really starts from second year though so you don't need to go too advanced.
Original post by appima080
WOW! I can see why you guys got offers - amazing work! Congratulations! What do you guys hope to do in the future? Anything in particular you want to research or get involved with or place you want to work?

I guess I'm just trying to figure out why I was rejected (I am a home mature student so perhaps that might have something to do with it) considering that I applied having already gotten my grades for my Advanced Highers (Physics, Mathematics and Chemistry) got all A's plus I've done IB and AP qualifications as well (got the highest possible grades in all of them).

I've done engineering and biotech internships and placements, completed courses online for physics and computer science (including Imperial's own online Mathematics and Further Mathematics courses), read books on pure mathematics and classical physics, and tutored students in Physics and Mathematics (all of which I included in my personal statement and my referee included this in their reference along with additional volunteering and charity projects that I've been involved in).

I've reached out to Imperial for feedback but just continue to get the same generic reply of "We receive many more applications than we have places to offer. As such, the level of competition for places is extremely high. The admissions panel judged that your application wasn’t considered sufficiently competitive to receive an offer of admission on this occasion. We thank you for your application and interest to pursue our programme.".

In comparison to some of those who received offers I can't help but feel as though I'm either as competitive or in some cases more competitive than them and would just like clear justification from Imperial for their choice to not give me an offer.

In future I’m aiming to continue with physics till the very end, the best thing about physics is that it challenges you always so you are never bored or satisfied.

The things you’ve done are amazing and your application seems to be very competitive ( I can’t seem to know why they didn’t make you an offer) but you know what, it really doesn’t matter which uni you go to, a great physicist will still be great no matter where they studied. All the best for a bright future.
Reply 28
does anyone know when the offer holders event is going to take place?
Original post by efefeee

I think in June, check this out https://www.imperial.ac.uk/events/131476/undergraduate-study-undergraduate-virtual-open-week-imperial360-live/
Original post by efefeee

I’ve just received an email from imperial regarding the offer holders day.
Reply 31
Original post by Einstein 100
I’ve just received an email from imperial regarding the offer holders day.

Yeah same I just finished booking the date. Still sucks that we didn't get to see the university in person
Original post by efefeee
Yeah same I just finished booking the date. Still sucks that we didn't get to see the university in person

Yeah it’s too bad
Reply 33
Hi,are you hoping to get in this october??I'm so glad i found this thread I was so worried that i wouldn't know anyone on my course.
Reply 34
is anyone else worried about how high their offer is?! i definitely feel like i can’t relax at all until a level results day

YEEEESSSS, I've looked into Imperial and all of the clubs and the societies so much that now I'll be so upset if i don't get in but that just means that I'm now so worried about the grades they almost feel unreachable.
Reply 35
Original post by Sinnoh
Current student for physics if you want to ask anything.

Did you find it really hard to go from doing A-levels to studying at uni? How are their teaching methods.
Reply 36
Original post by Afsha5
Did you find it really hard to go from doing A-levels to studying at uni? How are their teaching methods.

Initially it's not bad at all - a lot of the content in the first term will be familiar to you if you've done A-level further maths. But the difficulty sneaks up on you, and I found myself pretty unprepared for the first exam in January. It's very tempting to just skip the early problem sheets because you've done it before, but really you need to get in to some good habits early on.

Teaching's alright, I think? But independent work still matters the most. The lecturers in the first term are a mixed bag, some are good, some send people to sleep. The pace picks up in the second term.
Seminars are two hours, once a week, with a quarter of the year group (~60 people) at a time. You're in groups of 4 or 5 working through problems.
Academic tutorials are one hour, once every two weeks where you're in a group of no more than 5 with a lecturer just going over whatever you're finding difficult in the course at the moment. They're very useful provided you're up to date on lectures.
Reply 37
Thank you that's exactly what I was looking for I normally tend to stall it I think I understand the subject the work is on so I'll try not to do that.
Reply 38
Original post by Sinnoh
Initially it's not bad at all - a lot of the content in the first term will be familiar to you if you've done A-level further maths. But the difficulty sneaks up on you, and I found myself pretty unprepared for the first exam in January. It's very tempting to just skip the early problem sheets because you've done it before, but really you need to get in to some good habits early on.

Teaching's alright, I think? But independent work still matters the most. The lecturers in the first term are a mixed bag, some are good, some send people to sleep. The pace picks up in the second term.
Seminars are two hours, once a week, with a quarter of the year group (~60 people) at a time. You're in groups of 4 or 5 working through problems.
Academic tutorials are one hour, once every two weeks where you're in a group of no more than 5 with a lecturer just going over whatever you're finding difficult in the course at the moment. They're very useful provided you're up to date on lectures.

Could you recommend any revision books/materials for first year or in general? It would mean a great deal!
Reply 39
Original post by efefeee
Could you recommend any revision books/materials for first year or in general? It would mean a great deal!

the two main ones that are mentioned are Young & Freedman's University Physics with Modern Physics and Mary Boas' Mathematical Methods for the Physical Sciences.

Don't buy them yet - your lecturers will be able to get you discounts, and they're free in the library anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending