What are the hardest topics in a level physics and chemistry?

Watch this thread
Reginald2004
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm studying physics and chemistry next year, I jw what the hardest parts are about each subject. What type of stuff do you learn in astrophysics
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
My impression is in chemistry usually organic ends up being the biggest hurdle, as it ends up being a lot of memorisation due to how they structure the A-level as I understand? In physics not sure, however the electronics/electricity and magnetism content seems to be universally neglected or poorly understood as it was the area that needed most catch up for people who had done A-level Physics when I was doing engineering.

Sinnoh or CheeseIsVeg may be able to give some insight into the A-levels as they experienced them?
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 year ago
Reginald2004
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
My impression is in chemistry usually organic ends up being the biggest hurdle, as it ends up being a lot of memorisation due to how they structure the A-level as I understand? In physics not sure, however the electronics content seems to be universally neglected or poorly understood as it was the area that needed most catch up for people who had done A-level Physics when I was doing engineering.

Sinnoh or CheeseIsVeg may be able to give some insight into the A-levels as they experienced them?
Thanks 👍🏻
14t
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
My impression is in chemistry usually organic ends up being the biggest hurdle, as it ends up being a lot of memorisation due to how they structure the A-level as I understand? In physics not sure, however the electronics content seems to be universally neglected or poorly understood as it was the area that needed most catch up for people who had done A-level Physics when I was doing engineering.

I think it's v subjective! most of my class love physical and hate organic but personally, I suck at physical and I'm good at organic. depends on where ur strengths lie
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I do both Physics and Chemistry Reginald2004.

For Chemistry, everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. Personally, I agree with artful_lounger, Organic has the most memorisation and that’s probably why I find it the most difficult!

As for Physics, I find electricity difficult. It seems to require a lot of application of knowledge as well as use of calculations. The multiple-choice usually involves more than one topic and so that also seems to be difficult for me.

I don’t do the option Astrophysics so I can’t comment.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Reginald2004)
I'm studying physics and chemistry next year, I jw what the hardest parts are about each subject. What type of stuff do you learn in astrophysics
Electricity is a surprisingly difficult topic in A-level physics. On the face of it there's not much which is that new, but it's hard to conceptualise what's going on.
However I think magnetism is harder. Particle physics topics are mostly reliant on memorising info so they're not too bad.

Astrophysics in physics A-level involves some optics, like learning about telescopes and observations, properties of stars and some basic cosmology like redshift and Hubble's law. Again, you can mostly get by just by memorising things (and you kind of need to anyway)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (22)
31.43%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (26)
37.14%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (4)
5.71%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
4.29%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
5.71%
I’m starting to consider my university options (9)
12.86%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.43%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.43%

Watched Threads