GCSE English Literature Unseen poetry

Watch
soularius01
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hiya I am currently studying for unseen poetry (Love and relationships) in College, I can do poetry analysis fairly well but I am struggling greatly when it comes to structuring and planning out my essays-compare 2 poems. My questions are
How many quotations per paragraph, how do you plan out essays, what should a paragraph structure look like, How many words per paragraph, How to get a grade 9 essay.
Last edited by soularius01; 3 months ago
nishi_6780
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hey, I'm not in college but I'm studying English literature GCSE and I actually have a pending essay on poetry comparisons and I have a few tips that can help you.

The examiners love to see detail and contextual information. It's not necessarily quantity but quality but the preferred "amount" is around 4 paragraphs. The structure would be:
poem 1
poem 2
poem 1
poem 2

If you have any more questions I would love to answer them.
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
how many quotations per para, well, however many support the point you make.
Whether it's 2 or 4 quotations, if these support 1 individual point, put it into a paragraph. One point per paragraph, not x quotes per paragraph. If it is only 1 quote supporting your point though, make sure you explain it very well to ensure you get max marks

Essay structure: The writer (does whatever) through (add in adverb of admiration to sound a lil fancier) making use of (insert structural/language device) as detected in the quote "insert quote". The (device) can be interpreted as (put in interpretation, like what you think it means but very well written). The use of this device (explain what the device does, perhaps for the character or how they're presented, their state, their feelings/internal monologue etc. That is if it's a character. If it's a setting, it's usually to set the mood for the current environment or future) allowing for the reader to (insert what it does for the reader if asked), effectively (what you think the writer intended to do). Next para, new point. It might sound a lil mumbo jumbo, idk but it certainly gets me high grades. Also, ALWAYS DESCRIBE THE QUOTE because you get extra marks for pointing out the device.

For how long your paragraph should be, do a thumbs up in front of your face an open your fingers, your four horizontal fingers should be half a paragraph - more so the first part of your point if you're comparing poems.

I totally agree with the person above.

Planning essays: find a quote with good context. Then (in relation to the question, link it!) Point (but don't include your explanation. including even the slightest explanation makes it harder to explain later for reasons such as repetition, lack of words to rephrase with. Just write the point).
Evidence (your quote - if it says language or structure then state the device! unless your teacher says not to) Explanation (what's the quote doing and how is it doing what it's doing?) Conclusion (--of the paragraph. not the .. you know, essay. that'd be very short. Add a little flair by praising the writer e.g. ", resulting in the poet/writer/author of the poem rather cleverly (doing what the question asks or if not, what you think he did)".

When in doubt or even panicking, look for colours in the poem. Blue, red, black - these are easy to interpret because you know, blue is like sad (but always be fancy in essays, say melancholic). Yeah. Adverbs, nouns, use these until you regain composure and look for the bigger things if you haven't before. I'm talking sonnets, haikus, contrast, metaphors, colloquialisms, etc.

Hope that helps
soularius01
Rep:
?
(Original post by nishi_6780)
Hey, I'm not in college but I'm studying English literature GCSE and I actually have a pending essay on poetry comparisons and I have a few tips that can help you.

The examiners love to see detail and contextual information. It's not necessarily quantity but quality but the preferred "amount" is around 4 paragraphs. The structure would be:
poem 1
poem 2
poem 1
poem 2

If you have any more questions I would love to answer them.
This has been really helpful, today I just did a essay so its been a life saver
soularius01
Rep:
?
(Original post by 165283)
how many quotations per para, well, however many support the point you make.
Whether it's 2 or 4 quotations, if these support 1 individual point, put it into a paragraph. One point per paragraph, not x quotes per paragraph. If it is only 1 quote supporting your point though, make sure you explain it very well to ensure you get max marks

Essay structure: The writer (does whatever) through (add in adverb of admiration to sound a lil fancier) making use of (insert structural/language device) as detected in the quote "insert quote". The (device) can be interpreted as (put in interpretation, like what you think it means but very well written). The use of this device (explain what the device does, perhaps for the character or how they're presented, their state, their feelings/internal monologue etc. That is if it's a character. If it's a setting, it's usually to set the mood for the current environment or future) allowing for the reader to (insert what it does for the reader if asked), effectively (what you think the writer intended to do). Next para, new point. It might sound a lil mumbo jumbo, idk but it certainly gets me high grades. Also, ALWAYS DESCRIBE THE QUOTE because you get extra marks for pointing out the device.

For how long your paragraph should be, do a thumbs up in front of your face an open your fingers, your four horizontal fingers should be half a paragraph - more so the first part of your point if you're comparing poems.

I totally agree with the person above.

Planning essays: find a quote with good context. Then (in relation to the question, link it!) Point (but don't include your explanation. including even the slightest explanation makes it harder to explain later for reasons such as repetition, lack of words to rephrase with. Just write the point).
Evidence (your quote - if it says language or structure then state the device! unless your teacher says not to) Explanation (what's the quote doing and how is it doing what it's doing?) Conclusion (--of the paragraph. not the .. you know, essay. that'd be very short. Add a little flair by praising the writer e.g. ", resulting in the poet/writer/author of the poem rather cleverly (doing what the question asks or if not, what you think he did)".

When in doubt or even panicking, look for colours in the poem. Blue, red, black - these are easy to interpret because you know, blue is like sad (but always be fancy in essays, say melancholic). Yeah. Adverbs, nouns, use these until you regain composure and look for the bigger things if you haven't before. I'm talking sonnets, haikus, contrast, metaphors, colloquialisms, etc.

Hope that helps
Thank you so much it helps massively, I really appreciate it.
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by soularius01)
Thank you so much it helps massively, I really appreciate it.
I'm glad you pulled through it! I'd really like to know how your essay went when you get your results.
Wish you the best
nishi_6780
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
This has been really helpful, today I just did a essay so its been a life saver
no worries, hope it went well!!
soularius01
Rep:
?
(Original post by 165283)
I'm glad you pulled through it! I'd really like to know how your essay went when you get your results.
Wish
Hiya
Today I was finally given my Poetry Essay results back which I have been nervously anticipating tbh. But to be complete and utter surprise..... I got 28/30 marks!
And again thank u so much couldn't gotten this grade otherwise.
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hiya
Today I was finally given my Poetry Essay results back which I have been nervously anticipating tbh. But to be complete and utter surprise..... I got 28/30 marks!
And again thank u so much couldn't gotten this grade otherwise.
Hi!
I just saw your reply and I really can't express how proud I am of you!!!!
I am so happy that you've done so well. You should be most proud of yourself for all the hard work you've put into this.
I'm really, really glad everything worked out and I hope you've done well across the board too. I wish the best for you in the rest of your exams.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (41)
5.87%
Uncertainty around my education (80)
11.44%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (74)
10.59%
Lack of purpose or motivation (90)
12.88%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (38)
5.44%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (40)
5.72%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (75)
10.73%
Financial worries (43)
6.15%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (31)
4.43%
Exposure to negative news/social media (42)
6.01%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (23)
3.29%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (67)
9.59%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (55)
7.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise