UCL Mathematical Modelling MSc vs LSE Operations Research & Analytics MSc

Watch
maths00
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi, I have offers for UCL Mathematical Modelling MSc and LSE Operations Research & Analytics MSc but struggling to choose between the two.

I'm in my final year of a maths undergrad degree, and enjoy applied maths, also really enjoy programming in Python. Pretty sure I don't want to go into academia/research after this, most likely will want to get a grad scheme for a finance job.

Anyone got any advice on deciding between these courses? Both in terms of job prospects/course content as well as what it's like to do a postgrad at either uni (student life etc).

Has anyone here done either of these courses who could answer a few questions?

I know the UCL course covers 8 single-term modules, whereas the LSE course covers 6 longer modules, and both have the dissertation afterwards, also there seems to be a greater choice of modules for LSE. However I'm very interested in modelling too, and I feel like the UCL maths department is supposed to be better than LSE's? Although I don't know how much that's changed in recent years.

Thanks!
doley789
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Can i ask why the masters if you want to go into employment?
maths00
Rep:
?
Partly because I'd quite like to experience another uni while I have the chance (don't want to give up student life just yet lol), also I haven't been able to get a grad scheme this year, I'm still not entirely sure what job I want to go into (got an internship this summer so I can try one out) and finally I hope a masters would open up more roles I wouldn't otherwise have been considered for

also both courses sound really interesting so I think I'll enjoy it
maths00
Rep:
?
Also if anyone has been to either UCL or LSE for a different MSc course, especially for a maths-related MSc, I'd appreciate any info about life as a Masters student at that uni, or about the strength/reputation of their maths departments
maths00
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
bump
vinnie63
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
heyy
I received my offer for MSc ORA from LSE recently..
which one did you finalize?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (20)
17.09%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (37)
31.62%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (12)
10.26%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (13)
11.11%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (5)
4.27%
I think it's an unfair expectation (28)
23.93%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
1.71%

Watched Threads