Healthcare students - what happens in this situation ?

Watch
pink00
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I’m a first year nurse and don’t know much and just trying to work out this scenario for an upcoming placement

If someone with a severe drug addiction (eg.heroin) was rushed into hospital for an unexpected stay, how do they combat the withdrawals ? Do they just let them have heroin, or give them methadone or something else ?
Tracey_W
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by pink00)
I’m a first year nurse and don’t know much and just trying to work out this scenario for an upcoming placement

If someone with a severe drug addiction (eg.heroin) was rushed into hospital for an unexpected stay, how do they combat the withdrawals ? Do they just let them have heroin, or give them methadone or something else ?
You wouldn't give them more herion to treat there overdose of it - the doctors will prescribe the best course of action for the patient with perhaps methadone.
As a student nurse you'll be watching & learning from experience staff on this and if you went into say A&E or work a ward as a qualified nurse you'll then be able to treat the patient like you described with the prescribed medications stated by the doctors that treating the patient.
I attached a abstract from the NHS website on this.
I am nurse with NHS Scotland ( midwife ) .
You do deal with all sorts of patients as part of the job x
Research the NHS website on this as you'll learn more on this from there.

Name:  Screenshot_2021-03-28-13-54-38.png
Views: 7
Size:  277.9 KB
Last edited by Tracey_W; 2 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (82)
26.03%
England (108)
34.29%
Belgium (27)
8.57%
Germany (37)
11.75%
Spain (5)
1.59%
Italy (28)
8.89%
Netherlands (10)
3.17%
Other (Tell us who) (18)
5.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise