can anyone answer this A level politics question URGENT!!!!!!!!

Watch
k.kk
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Source 1 is adapted from a report by Dr. Mike McCarthy; he reflects on the impact of the
Human Rights Act and the response and reaction of governments to its introduction,
including some of the criticisms that the Act has faced.
Source 1

The Human Rights Act 1998 (HRA) has not worked well for everyone in the UK. High
profile cases involving terrorists and prisoners have been lost by UK governments,
fostering the notion that it gave rights to the wrong type of people. These cases
often made tabloid ‘Europe bashing’ headlines and the Conservatives promised in
their 2015 manifesto to replace the HRA with a British-based Bill of Rights, firstly to
satisfy Eurosceptics in their party and then secondly to symbolically kill off a key
piece of New Labour’s legislation. The HRA has caused controversy not only between
parties but within them. Furthermore, many feel that rights outlined in the HRA such
as the right to privacy, family life and education are all too vague and sometimes
contradictory.
Crucially the problem with the HRA is that it fundamentally stresses rights and it
should also acknowledge that being a member of a democratic society also entails
responsibilities. There are limits to a rights-based culture which the HRA does not
address; but how strong is the demand from the public for change?
(Source: adapted from: http://www.civitas.org.uk/pdf/ThePro...HumanRightsLaw.)
Using the source, explain why the Human Rights Act has been controversial.

(10)
In your response you must use knowledge and understanding to analyse points that are
only in the source. You will not be rewarded for introducing any additional points that are
not in the source.

....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Peony123
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Start by picking out the key points of the source and reflect on whether you agree with them - if so why? Support with other facts
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (144)
42.73%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (39)
11.57%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (28)
8.31%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (72)
21.36%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.09%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (20)
5.93%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise