The Student Room Group

What is optometry really like?

Hi, I’m currently studying a levels (yr 12) and also I will be applying for uni in a couple of months. I want to do optometry but I have heard so many people say that it’s all about sales. The reason I want to do optom is because I really like learning about the eyes so if it is really all about sales I don’t think I would enjoy it. I want a job which I would enjoy and also which pays well (40- 50 k). My other option would be to do medicine and become a dermatologist but I think with medicine I would have to study really hard. So if you guys had any advice and tips then that would be really helpful :smile:
Reply 1
Thank you and any advice or tips on dermatology would be useful too regarding work load, pay etc.
Original post by Optom_12
Hi, I’m currently studying a levels (yr 12) and also I will be applying for uni in a couple of months. I want to do optometry but I have heard so many people say that it’s all about sales. The reason I want to do optom is because I really like learning about the eyes so if it is really all about sales I don’t think I would enjoy it. I want a job which I would enjoy and also which pays well (40- 50 k). My other option would be to do medicine and become a dermatologist but I think with medicine I would have to study really hard. So if you guys had any advice and tips then that would be really helpful :smile:

Optoms have a lot of sales targets that need to be met but it all depends where you work.
Reply 3
Original post by Optom_12

If you’re interested in medicine, Ophthalmology is a specialty option.
However, I would caution so say just because you like one area of medicine before starting. Peoples interests generally change a lot whilst at Med school. Might stay the same but I’m Just saying what happens to the majority of people in my experience.
That’s not a reason to not apply though. If you’re passionate about it go for it!
Reply 4
Original post by Jamie1231
Optoms have a lot of sales targets that need to be met but it all depends where you work.

Thanks but I want to know if sales target is a big factor in working as an optom or not because if it is I don’t think I would like it as a career.
Reply 5
Original post by Gregor99
If you’re interested in medicine, Ophthalmology is a specialty option.
However, I would caution so say just because you like one area of medicine before starting. Peoples interests generally change a lot whilst at Med school. Might stay the same but I’m Just saying what happens to the majority of people in my experience.
That’s not a reason to not apply though. If you’re passionate about it go for it!

Thank you, I’m still deciding whether or not to do medicine. I feel like the workload would be too much for me as I get distracted really easily.
Reply 6
Thank you this was really helpful. I’m still considering whether to do optom or dermatology. They both have pros and cons to them.
Reply 7
Thankyou

Quick Reply

Latest