The Student Room Group

Best unis for film (joint degrees)?

I'm in year 11 and I want to do film at uni, but I want a course that has a focus on production/the practical side.

My head of sixth (who's also my English teacher) suggested I look for joint degrees, most of which happen to be film studies with whatever subject. As I said before, I want a course with a practical element, since it would be more useful to me, but I can't find many. I'm not entirely sure about doing a joint degree anyway, but it wouldn't hurt to look I suppose.
Original post by sophieisdecent
I'm in year 11 and I want to do film at uni, but I want a course that has a focus on production/the practical side.

My head of sixth (who's also my English teacher) suggested I look for joint degrees, most of which happen to be film studies with whatever subject. As I said before, I want a course with a practical element, since it would be more useful to me, but I can't find many. I'm not entirely sure about doing a joint degree anyway, but it wouldn't hurt to look I suppose.

Really you need to decide what you other subject would be. Could it be something like history of art and film, or french (if you do a language) and film. Maybe even English and film. Lancaster is generally good for joint honours degrees as they have tonnes of options.

Exeter too maybe?? Ik a Glasgow film student

A really really cool film degree is at the Arts University Bournemouth which has a huge focus on making films. Some good directors have gone there and the facilities will probably be better than most ‘normal’ unis. The downside to that I gues (or maybe a positive depends on who u r) is that you will be at a uni for basically just arty types. There are some architecture and more maths based students but on the whole it will be a unique arts experience. This may be good for you or maybe not idk. The link for AUB is https://aub.ac.uk/course/film-production

Hope this helps and it’s by no means definitive
R.
Original post by sophieisdecent

Hi!

Current Film Production student here!!
When I was looking at Universities I looked at both film studies and film production and found film production to be a much more practical based course than film studies. From what I understood, film studies is a more theory based course that teaches you about the history of films and the analysis of them. Film Production teaches you more about how to make a film and the practical aspects of doing so.
I would suggest having a look at some film production courses and comparing them to film studies courses to determine which course would suit you best and which you think you would enjoy more.
I was similar to you in that I wanted the practical aspect but I also wanted some of the theory behind filmmaking too. The University of Portsmouth Film Production course is very hands on and practical but still offers the theory that lays the foundation for your filmmaking.
There are plenty of Universities offering both courses so I would do some research into Film Production to see if the course is more suited to what you are looking for.

Good luck with the search and please let me know if you have any other questions!

Michaela - UoP Rep :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending