og-icon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
This questions is to anyone who got a grade 8 or 9 in GCSE History!

Hello, I am in Year 9 and have chosen GCSE History, I need you to recommend the best book for GCSE History, do mention if certain book are useless or a waste of time
Topics: AQA

Paper 1: Understanding the Modern World
- America: Oppurtunity and Inequality: 1920-1973
-Conflict and tension: Interwar Years: 1919-1939

Paper 2: Shaping the Nation
-Health and the people: 1000 to the present day
-Elizabethan England: 1568-1603

So this is what we are going to learn about

I have heard that the GCSE History CGP guide is not good
Can you guys tell me what revision guides you lot got and found useful and which ones you did not really like.

Also I want to do good in History GCSE, any tips/ tricks would be really appreciated

Oh and also I would like to say Thank you if you are reading this, appreciate it!
thekingellie
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by og-icon)
This questions is to anyone who got a grade 8 or 9 in GCSE History!

Hello, I am in Year 9 and have chosen GCSE History, I need you to recommend the best book for GCSE History, do mention if certain book are useless or a waste of time
Topics: AQA

Paper 1: Understanding the Modern World
- America: Oppurtunity and Inequality: 1920-1973
-Conflict and tension: Interwar Years: 1919-1939

Paper 2: Shaping the Nation
-Health and the people: 1000 to the present day
-Elizabethan England: 1568-1603

So this is what we are going to learn about

I have heard that the GCSE History CGP guide is not good
Can you guys tell me what revision guides you lot got and found useful and which ones you did not really like.

Also I want to do good in History GCSE, any tips/ tricks would be really appreciated

Oh and also I would like to say Thank you if you are reading this, appreciate it!
I somehow got grade 9 at GCSE in 2019 (I took actual exams), so here's what I'd advise: chose the revision guide that your teacher recommends - providing it matches with the exam board! GCSEs are just content. If you know the content, you can do pretty well. So make revision resources (flashcards, mindmaps, quizlets etc whatever works best for you - I recommend experimenting!) as you learn the content. So after class you find the bit of the topic you've just studied in class, in your textbook and condense that section down into revision resources. This consolidates the knowledge from the lesson and when you come round to exams/revision, you won't have to waste time making revision resources, you can just revise from them. I recommend doing this for all your subjects. Have every topic condensed down into revision resources. I wouldn't worry about essay writing until much later on in year 10 and 11 - I'm sure your teachers will go through how to answer essays later on. There's no point trying to write essays unless you know the content first. History's content heavy, so don't get behind. TBH you'll be fine, I didn't start making revision resources until year 11 (my biggest GCSE-related regret) and winged it, so the fact you're thinking ahead now is great.
Last edited by thekingellie; 2 months ago
og-icon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by thekingellie)
I somehow got grade 9 at GCSE in 2019 (I took actual exams), so here's what I'd advise: chose the revision guide that your teacher recommends - providing it matches with the exam board! GCSEs are just content. If you know the content, you can do pretty well. So make revision resources (flashcards, mindmaps, quizlets etc whatever works best for you - I recommend experimenting!) as you learn the content. So after class you find the bit of the topic you've just studied in class, in your textbook and condense that section down into revision resources. This consolidates the knowledge from the lesson and when you come round to exams/revision, you won't have to waste time making revision resources, you can just revise from them. I recommend doing this for all your subjects. Have every topic condensed down into revision resources. I wouldn't worry about essay writing until much later on in year 10 and 11 - I'm sure your teachers will go through how to answer essays later on. There's no point trying to write essays unless you know the content first. History's content heavy, so don't get behind. TBH you'll be fine, I didn't start making revision resources until year 11 (my biggest GCSE-related regret) and winged it, so the fact you're thinking ahead now is great.
First of all i would like to say a big thank you for replying, means a lot!
So does that mean i cant really do anything in Year 9
thekingellie
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by og-icon)
First of all i would like to say a big thank you for replying, means a lot!
So does that mean i cant really do anything in Year 9
Yessss, if you haven't started any content you can't really do anything. I guess if you have the time and you've bought the revision guide you can do some pre-reading, or find a book on that topic to read - but extra reading isn't necessary until A-Level.
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You can browse the Bitesize page, if that would interest you at this stage.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/examspecs/zxjk4j6
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (21)
30%
No (49)
70%

Watched Threads