Sport Specific Exercises

Watch
RicerDalemon
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi all, First time poster! I was wondering if people would be interested in starting a thread of what exercises various athletes in different sports (Weightlifting, gymnastics, football/soccer, basketball, boxing etc..) actually do. We all know about squats, deadlifts, benchpress and rows but I wanted to see what other exercises do people use when training for these sports.I believe it would provide a different insight as to what people think professional athletes do for their training. These could exercises related to off-season, warmups, strengthening, conditioning and whatever one would think would be ideal.I play semi-pro football but was always interested in what other sports do in their training and if there are any exercises I could do that would transfer well onto football.I would love to hear your thoughts!Since I'm getting a few responses, what I was looking for is more if we could build a list of exercises that people can look for, maybe they want to start a new sport and wanted to see what the work would be like. This is not for me per se but more in general advice .
Last edited by RicerDalemon; 3 weeks ago
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I’m in.
Nutritionist
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I like this idea
illusionz
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You might like to read some stuff from Chad Wesley Smith. He's an ex shotputter/powerlifter but coaches various athletes. He's a big fan of jumps and throws as well as the standard barbell lifts and the prowler.

The Juggernaut Method is a good read. It's paid but you can find it free online if you're that way inclined...

Unilateral work is also pretty important for athletes and sportsmen.
Last edited by illusionz; 3 weeks ago
nickofernandes
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi, I went to the gym for several years to keep fit and I can say many football players train there. They train different muscle groups depending on what position they play. You can do cross-lifting, powerlifting, or CrossFit. I can recommend one training program-Torokhtiy, that can help you in your purpose, it will help you gain muscle mass and you will become more athletic on the football field.
Last edited by nickofernandes; 2 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (159)
4.88%
Uncertainty around my education (476)
14.6%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (365)
11.2%
Lack of purpose or motivation (458)
14.05%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (152)
4.66%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (197)
6.04%
Loneliness (280)
8.59%
Financial worries (114)
3.5%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (132)
4.05%
Exposure to negative news/social media (149)
4.57%
Lack of real life entertainment (179)
5.49%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (293)
8.99%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (306)
9.39%

Watched Threads