How's does someone get on the property market

Watch this thread
richard10012
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Property prices are crazy in the south. How's are you meant to buy a property? I seen alot of share ownership which I could afford but I would never been able to afford a property outright.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Save up or don't buy a property in the south.
Shay.124
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by richard10012)
Property prices are crazy in the south. How's are you meant to buy a property? I seen alot of share ownership which I could afford but I would never been able to afford a property outright.
Yeah I think a lot of young people are in the same boat. Buying a house by yourself is nearly impossible these days on a normal salary. Shared ownership looks like a promising route into the housing market.
Reue
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sharaaa)
Yeah I think a lot of young people are in the same boat. Buying a house by yourself is nearly impossible these days on a normal salary. Shared ownership looks like a promising route into the housing market.
It's always been nearly impossible to buy a house in the south on your own. Partner up, whether that be romantically or just financially.
Smeraldettoi
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
A) Become a multi millionaire
B) inherit
C) you can’t; move up north where houses are cheaper
Kutie Karen
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Wouldn't recomend shared ownership. It is a big stretch and you might have to save save save.
richard10012
Rep:
Why are houses in the north cheaper than the south? The government is investing in the north
Smeraldettoi
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Why are houses in the north cheaper than the south? The government is investing in the north
The economy is generally worse up north, less higher paying jobs etc
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Most of my friends who live in the south either inherited the property, bought a small leasehold flat (which can be cheaper than freehold depending on the number of years left on the lease), or bought property with their partner/a family member. No one I know has bought anything bigger than a flat by themselves if they were a first time buyer.
Last edited by PhoenixFortune; 1 year ago
richard10012
Rep:
But won't all the investment that the government are doing increase properties prices in the north and midlands?
spanker
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Don't buy shared ownership, you will end up paying more overall plus some places refuse to let you ladder up 100% ownership.
Quady
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
But won't all the investment that the government are doing increase properties prices in the north and midlands?
What investment in the North....?

3,000 jobs at HMT? yeah that'll really move the market for the 1,000,000+ homes in Yorkshire
HumbleBee_x
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I'd never get on the property ladder single
neal95
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Make your money work for you/ Maximise the income you do have - Don't just keep it in a current account or cash ISA with lousy interest rates, put it in a solid vehicle, such as a balanced investment trust with different types of companies.

Therefore, over a period of time, your money will compound, and a portion of this can then be used for a deposit for a house or if you want to then you could probably buy somewhere outright (although this is not a very efficient use of cash unless you have loads of it).

So over the 3/5/10 year time period that it would take you to save, you will have promotions or job moves and also your compounded money to count on. Its not easy and takes research rather than just throwing money in individual shares or average passive funds, but it can be a great way to turbocharge your disposable. Its not an overnight process however, and should only be done if you have spare money, on top of your living costs, and if you are comfortable with things not increasing in a linear fashion.
Last edited by neal95; 1 year ago
Quady
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by neal95)
Therefore, over a period of time,
What period?
neal95
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Quady)
What period?
as mentioned in the final paragraph of my post, 3/5/10 years
Quady
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
as mentioned in the final paragraph of my post, 3/5/10 years
Interesting

why is the total return of City on London investment trust down over the last three years? A cash ISA would've done better over five years.

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-s...-trust-ord-25p

FYI, that's the only investment trust I own.
neal95
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Quady)
Interesting

why is the total return of City on London investment trust down over the last three years? A cash ISA would've done better over five years.

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-s...-trust-ord-25p

FYI, that's the only investment trust I own.
I just checked out the trust, it looks very "old world" and 20th century, relying on holdings like tobacco and oil which are less likely to have capital growth but more likely to be favoured by pensioners and pension funds because they produce a reliable dividend. I think it said the yield is 5.02 %, so it won't really shoot the lights out in terms of share price growth, but is steady and reliable. British investors are famously conservative, especially retail investors, and so as long as they get reliable dividends each quarter then i don't think they care too much about the share price.

However, lots of pundits at the moment seem to think that old world companies such as these will see somewhat of a resurgence as the economy starts to kick back into life, particularly aviation and oil stocks.

I lean more towards Consumer discretionary companies + Tech + Bioscience companies + Health etc. The trust focuses more on Capital growth and only has a yield of 0.75%, as most of the companies are focused on growth and therefore don't pay a dividend like the old school established companies. The trust im in launched in March 2018 and is up 201% in those 3 years (obviously last year was a crazy year and no doubt skewed the figure massively).
Quady
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I just checked out the trust, it looks very "old world" and 20th century, relying on holdings like tobacco and oil which are less likely to have capital growth but more likely to be favoured by pensioners and pension funds because they produce a reliable dividend. I think it said the yield is 5.02 %, so it won't really shoot the lights out in terms of share price growth, but is steady and reliable. British investors are famously conservative, especially retail investors, and so as long as they get reliable dividends each quarter then i don't think they care too much about the share price.

However, lots of pundits at the moment seem to think that old world companies such as these will see somewhat of a resurgence as the economy starts to kick back into life, particularly aviation and oil stocks.

I lean more towards Consumer discretionary companies + Tech + Bioscience companies + Health etc. The trust focuses more on Capital growth and only has a yield of 0.75%, as most of the companies are focused on growth and therefore don't pay a dividend like the old school established companies. The trust im in launched in March 2018 and is up 201% in those 3 years (obviously last year was a crazy year and no doubt skewed the figure massively).
Which trust?

So you don't have five or ten year performance? The trust I am invested launched in 1860.
Last edited by Quady; 1 year ago
neal95
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Quady)
Which trust?

So you don't have five or ten year performance? The trust I am invested launched in 1860.
Baillie Gifford US Growth Trust. There is no 5 year record for this trust, but it is essentially the closed ended version of Baillie Gifford American, with a bit more invested in private companies and the ability to leverage. A large part of it therefore apes Baillie Gifford American, which has gained 198% over 3 years, and 380% over 5 years.

Baillie Gifford American launched in 1997 and has made solid returns for people. I'm averse to open ended vehicles on the whole however, and prefer the stability and less panic in closed ended investments.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (10)
38.46%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (8)
30.77%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
7.69%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (1)
3.85%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (1)
3.85%
I’m starting to consider my university options (3)
11.54%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
3.85%

Watched Threads