The Student Room Group

Strathclyde or Sussex?

I currently hold offers from Strathclyde and Sussex for an MSc in International Accounting and Finance, and Accounting and Finance respectively. I am an international student and I'd just like to know which school is better overall and would give me the better uni experience.
Original post by saltedpecans
I currently hold offers from Strathclyde and Sussex for an MSc in International Accounting and Finance, and Accounting and Finance respectively. I am an international student and I'd just like to know which school is better overall and would give me the better uni experience.

Hi @saltedpecans,

Congratulations on receiving an offer from Sussex! I can provide you with a bit of information about Sussex and how to decide if the university is for you!

In terms of university ranking Sussex is currently 5th in the UK for graduate prospects in Accounting and Finance and it is in the Top 10 in the UK for Business and Economics you can see more about this on the course page: Accounting and Finance MSc

You can also see the rankings at Sussex more generally here: Sussex University Rankings

However, beyond this and in terms of where you would have a better university experience overall, this is likely to be based on factors that are personal to you. For example, I personally considered location, specific modules that were offered on my course and where I would be happiest when making my final choice however, this was for an undergraduate degree. Nevertheless, I would say that it would be helpful to rank any factors which are important to you in order of importance and compare the two universities and see which one comes out on top as this may be a good place to start.

Personally, I feel that overall happiness was the most important to me because in order to have a good university experience it is important to be happy where you are!

Also, I have found that I have enjoyed studying in Brighton where Sussex university is located especially as it is a short distance away from the beach! I have also found that I enjoyed going to the independent shops and the general vibe of Brighton which has been very welcoming.

I hope that this has been helpful and please feel free to ask me any other questions you may have.

Best wishes,
Merade (Yr 3 History and Politics BA)
Original post by University of Sussex Official Reps
Hi @saltedpecans,

Congratulations on receiving an offer from Sussex! I can provide you with a bit of information about Sussex and how to decide if the university is for you!

In terms of university ranking Sussex is currently 5th in the UK for graduate prospects in Accounting and Finance and it is in the Top 10 in the UK for Business and Economics you can see more about this on the course page: Accounting and Finance MSc

You can also see the rankings at Sussex more generally here: Sussex University Rankings

However, beyond this and in terms of where you would have a better university experience overall, this is likely to be based on factors that are personal to you. For example, I personally considered location, specific modules that were offered on my course and where I would be happiest when making my final choice however, this was for an undergraduate degree. Nevertheless, I would say that it would be helpful to rank any factors which are important to you in order of importance and compare the two universities and see which one comes out on top as this may be a good place to start.

Personally, I feel that overall happiness was the most important to me because in order to have a good university experience it is important to be happy where you are!

Also, I have found that I have enjoyed studying in Brighton where Sussex university is located especially as it is a short distance away from the beach! I have also found that I enjoyed going to the independent shops and the general vibe of Brighton which has been very welcoming.

I hope that this has been helpful and please feel free to ask me any other questions you may have.

Best wishes,

Thanks so much!!
Thanks so much!!

Hi @saltedpecans

No problem! Feel free to ask any other questions if you have any!

Best wishes,

Hey @saltedpecans :biggrin: Apologies that I've not seen this post sooner! So happy to hear you're considering studying at Strathclyde :smile: It's a big decision to make so it's great you're asking around to find the answers you're looking for.

I'm not a current Strathclyde student (I work here now, although I did complete my undergraduate degree in the Business School!) and I always think that you really get a feel for what it's like to study somewhere by talking to current students. We use Unibuddy and one of our ambassadors, Scott, is a current MSc International Accounting & Finance student, and has also completed their undergrad at Strathclyde too. You can find the link to their profile by clicking here and I'd definitely recommend dropping him a message for any student life questions you have! He'll be able to tell you far better than I could what it's really like to study the degree.

As the University of Sussex Rep says- the decision is really personal to you and you should have a think about the things that are important to you in a university. You'll probably end up loving *both* universities and courses for totally different reasons and that's what can make choosing so tricky! :blush:

When it comes to Strathclyde, you'd be joining our Business School which has a fantastic global reputation. We work really closely with industry, and you'll have a chance to work on live industry projects throughout your time on the MSc - doing things like research projects and financial analysis of a company in the later parts of the degree. Lots of the ways we teach are really practical, hands on and designed to be useful for our grads after they graduate :smile:

What's more- we're right in the heart of Glasgow in Scotland. Glasgow is such a fantastic place to live, work and study! We're known for our friendliness and for our humour. It's a massive student city (there are 4 universities in the local area) so it's a very vibrant, student friendly and an exciting place to live. There's always something to do in Glasgow- whatever you're interested in. Even if you don't decide to study here I'd 100% recommend visiting the city! You've also got great access to the typical Scottish landscapes - you can visit Loch Lomond in around half an hour from the city centre.

I hope some of that has helped a little. I know it must be so hard to make your decision :colondollar: Feel free to drop me a message any time and I'll be happy to help with any questions you have.

Good luck!
- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending