bl4ck_wid0w11
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
How can I become an elementary teacher with a BA in psychology? Please help!! Thank you
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by bl4ck_wid0w11)
How can I become an elementary teacher with a BA in psychology? Please help!! Thank you
Like a primary school teacher?

The typical route would be to do a one-year post-graduate teacher training course. This year is a combination of academic study and practical placements in school. There are a few options: School Direct, uni-based PGCE, SCITT etc. You can find out more information on the Get Into Teaching website.

Once you finish your training, you would then have a 2-year induction period. During this time, you would have a job at a school and be paid a salary, but would still have a mentor / increased number of observations / some paperwork to do before becoming a fully qualified teacher.
bl4ck_wid0w11
Rep:
?
(Original post by bluebeetle)
Like a primary school teacher?

The typical route would be to do a one-year post-graduate teacher training course. This year is a combination of academic study and practical placements in school. There are a few options: School Direct, uni-based PGCE, SCITT etc. You can find out more information on the Get Into Teaching website.

Once you finish your training, you would then have a 2-year induction period. During this time, you would have a job at a school and be paid a salary, but would still have a mentor / increased number of observations / some paperwork to do before becoming a fully qualified teacher.
thank you so much for replying I couldn't find any information elsewhere!! Yes, I mean primary I said elementary because in the US we don't say primary, sorry! So in total, I would have to study at university for five years? I wanted to do an undergrad in Primary Education but got an offer for a BA in Psychology instead so that's why I was wondering how I could become a primary teacher with a psychology degree.
bluebeetle
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
thank you so much for replying I couldn't find any information elsewhere!! Yes, I mean primary I said elementary because in the US we don't say primary, sorry! So in total, I would have to study at university for five years? I wanted to do an undergrad in Primary Education but got an offer for a BA in Psychology instead so that's why I was wondering how I could become a primary teacher with a psychology degree.
If you’re in England, it should be only 4 years total (3 yr undergrad + 1 year post-grad).
bl4ck_wid0w11
Rep:
?
If you’re in England, it should be only 4 years total (3 yr undergrad + 1 year post-grad).
I’m studying in Scotland!
bluebeetle
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I’m studying in Scotland!
Ah yes, bit longer then! I believe that in Scotland, it's a PGDE rather than a PGCE and the entry requirements may be different.

There's a thread for Scottish applicants here, which might have more relevant information:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...560938&page=71
bl4ck_wid0w11
Rep:
?
Ah yes, bit longer then! I believe that in Scotland, it's a PGDE rather than a PGCE and the entry requirements may be different.

There's a thread for Scottish applicants here, which might have more relevant information:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...560938&page=71
Thank you! Finding information as an international student is a little tough.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (172)
41.85%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (61)
14.84%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (170)
41.36%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
1.95%

Watched Threads