Ohnourlp
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
My university is being very unsupportive and I’ve gotten an offer elsewhere. I did a foundation year and I’m eligible to an extra 4 years of funding which is the exact length of my new course. However before I leave my university and withdraw do I have to pay any fees then and there ?? What if I can’t afford it. The website says something along fees and paying back 100% but does that mean I pay the Tution fees again myself ? I already know I owe £9250 for this year that I will pay back after I work.
WantBeAnonymous
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The portion of your tuition fees that you are responsible for will still be paid by your loan.
You will get a letter telling you how much maintenance loan you are entitled to keep (to be paid back the usual way) and you must give the rest back. If you do not pay them back then next years loan will have an overpayment deduction on it and you’ll get less.
Ohnourlp
Rep:
?
(Original post by WantBeAnonymous)
The portion of your tuition fees that you are responsible for will still be paid by your loan.
You will get a letter telling you how much maintenance loan you are entitled to keep (to be paid back the usual way) and you must give the rest back. If you do not pay them back then next years loan will have an overpayment deduction on it and you’ll get less.
I don’t understand, I am still currently at student and I used my maintenance loan for the rent accommodation and student necessities. Why would I need to pay it back before withdrawing ?
Isinglass
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
As maintenance loans are only to 'maintain' you whilst you are actually a student, if you withdraw before the end of the year, but after that term's maintenance loan instalment has been paid to you, you will have to refund the overpayment. But if you remain enrolled at your current university until the end of the academic year, you should not have to pay anything back.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Ohnourlp)
My university is being very unsupportive and I’ve gotten an offer elsewhere. I did a foundation year and I’m eligible to an extra 4 years of funding which is the exact length of my new course. However before I leave my university and withdraw do I have to pay any fees then and there ?? What if I can’t afford it. The website says something along fees and paying back 100% but does that mean I pay the Tution fees again myself ? I already know I owe £9250 for this year that I will pay back after I work.
I think the confusion may be because you are using the word 'withdraw' when you are actually 'transferring'. Withdraw means that you are leaving the university before the end of the year, and not completing your Foundation year (or whichever year you are in). I suspect you are 'transferring' ie completing your Foundation year, and then instead of progressing to year 1 at the same uni, you are transferring to another uni. If you are transferring then so long as you don't have an y debts like damage bills or rent owing to the uni that is fine, fees etc are collected through the student loan process.
WantBeAnonymous
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Ohnourlp)
I don’t understand, I am still currently at student and I used my maintenance loan for the rent accommodation and student necessities. Why would I need to pay it back before withdrawing ?
You’re allowed to keep a certain amount of your maintenance loan based on how long you’ve been there. Basically they’ll ask you to give back the part of your most recent loan payment and how much depends on when you withdraw.

I withdrew 1 week after I received a loan payment and I was told I was allowed to keep £52 and had to give the rest back
Sonia_3
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It's best to check with somebody from SFC or even your student's union/support but I don't think you will be required to pay anything back 'there and then' if you complete that foundation year and then move on to a different course. I changed courses halfway through my first year of uni and the extra student finance that had technically been overpaid (because I didn't complete the semester) was just taken off of the rest of my student finance for the other course (divided between 3 years), but in your case it seems straight forward.
Sonia_3
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by WantBeAnonymous)
You’re allowed to keep a certain amount of your maintenance loan based on how long you’ve been there. Basically they’ll ask you to give back the part of your most recent loan payment and how much depends on when you withdraw.

I withdrew 1 week after I received a loan payment and I was told I was allowed to keep £52 and had to give the rest back
That would only be the case if they were completely withdrawing and not going to uni. I think OP plans on completing the foundation year and then transferring.
Ohnourlp
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
I think the confusion may be because you are using the word 'withdraw' when you are actually 'transferring'. Withdraw means that you are leaving the university before the end of the year, and not completing your Foundation year (or whichever year you are in). I suspect you are 'transferring' ie completing your Foundation year, and then instead of progressing to year 1 at the same uni, you are transferring to another uni. If you are transferring then so long as you don't have an y debts like damage bills or rent owing to the uni that is fine, fees etc are collected through the student loan process.
Thank you so much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (191)
5.05%
Uncertainty around my education (554)
14.66%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (421)
11.14%
Lack of purpose or motivation (519)
13.73%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (189)
5%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (226)
5.98%
Loneliness (317)
8.39%
Financial worries (139)
3.68%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (147)
3.89%
Exposure to negative news/social media (169)
4.47%
Lack of real life entertainment (215)
5.69%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (337)
8.92%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (355)
9.39%

Watched Threads