SamJ2000
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hello,
If you have your grades already,
Is is just an offer or Rejection.
If they have all information and grades on you from early on is it as simple as Offer or rejection.

Still waiting to hear back , I feel it’s not looking good.
One rejection out of 4 already. If they know it’s a rejection do they send it out straight away, I can’t see the point of them not, it’s an agonising wait if not.
Jonathanツ
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I waited about 3 months to receive a rejection and simply wish they could have put me out of my misery earlier.

If you have the grades already it doesn't really impact an offer or rejection, I think there respected just as much as predicted grades.
The only thing already having your grades will impact is if you receive an unconditional or conditional offer.
As you have them, it will either be unconditional or a rejection.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by SamJ2000)
Hello,
If they have all information and grades on you from early on is it as simple as Offer or rejection.

One rejection out of 4 already. If they know it’s a rejection do they send it out straight away, I can’t see the point of them not, it’s an agonising wait if not.
Universities have 2 choices for all applicants - offer or reject.

The only difference for applicants with their grades already is that the offer doesn't have any conditions to be met
SamJ2000
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jonathanツ)
I waited about 3 months to receive a rejection and simply wish they could have put me out of my misery earlier.

If you have the grades already it doesn't really impact an offer or rejection, I think there respected just as much as predicted grades.
The only thing already having your grades will impact is if you receive an unconditional or conditional offer.
As you have them, it will either be unconditional or a rejection.
Many thanks for getting back to me,

The wait is absolutely soul destroying, you just have no idea. Stupidly I did think I had a good chance at Bristol but I was rejected. Also difficult as you never know why.

I guess it’s back to waiting. Just one offer would be fantastic and change my life, 2 offers would make my day and give me choice.

I guess there are many of us in the same position.

Some universities seem to get back earlier.
Jonathanツ
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Many thanks for getting back to me,

The wait is absolutely soul destroying, you just have no idea. Stupidly I did think I had a good chance at Bristol but I was rejected. Also difficult as you never know why.

I guess it’s back to waiting. Just one offer would be fantastic and change my life, 2 offers would make my day and give me choice.

I guess there are many of us in the same position.

Some universities seem to get back earlier.
The UCAS system is completely horrible in my opinion and I think the person who invented it should be shot. No 17/18 year old deserves rejection or to be limited in terms of what courses they can apply to. They also do not deserve to wait for months and then receive a big fat rejection.

I hope all you're other responses are all offers
SamJ2000
Rep:
?
The UCAS system is completely horrible in my opinion and I think the person who invented it should be shot. No 17/18 year old deserves rejection or to be limited in terms of what courses they can apply to. They also do not deserve to wait for months and then receive a big fat rejection.

I completely agree with you. I think being shot may be a bit harsh and final but I get how you feel.
A small story that justifies the need for change.

I have Twin cousins, both identical and both strangely enough decided to attend different secondary schools. Both ended up with exactly the same grades in exactly the same subjects. One slightly more sporty than the other but in some ways two peas in a pods.

It is so sad as one has just been offered 3 choices to do medical and the other has had all rejections.
I have read both statements and even though they are different they are both similar as they have both had the same experiences. If one has been rejected based on the PS then it’s madness.
It means you can work your but off for your exams but if someone reads your statement and decide against it then your out of the game.

If this is the case it means we get the same students year after year based on what someone thinks of your personality and your PS.

Surely we need different students in society to give us different people in the workplace.

Ok, I better stop and get off my soap box
Last edited by SamJ2000; 5 months ago
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I completely agree with you. I think being shot may be a bit harsh and final but I get how you feel.
A small story that justifies the need for change.

I have Twin cousins, both identical and both strangely enough decided to attend different secondary schools. Both ended up with exactly the same grades in exactly the same subjects. One slightly more sporty than the other but in some ways two peas in a pods.

It is so sad as one has just been offered 3 choices to do medical and the other has had all rejections.
I have read both statements and even though they are different they are both similar as they have both had the same experiences. If one has been rejected based on the PS then it’s madness.
It means you can work your but off for your exams but if someone reads your statement and decide against it then your out of the game.

If this is the case it means we get the same students year after year based on what someone thinks of your personality and your PS.

Surely we need different students in society to give us different people in the workplace.

Ok, I better stop and get off my soap box
med school selection is generally on the basis of performance in the UCAT and interview - plus picking the right courses to match your strengths. No UK med schools select on the PS anymore (and very few other courses select on the basis of PS).

Twins getting different replies to their applications is likely due to them submitting different applications and performing differently in the tests and interviews - it isn't a sign of unfairness.

What course have you applied to.
Last edited by PQ; 5 months ago
Euapp
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hello,

Or an offer for an alternative course.
ashtolga23
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hello,

I believe it means any offers you get will be unconditional, as you've already got your grades.

To be fair, while I get the frustration, part of the wait is there because it may take a while to get to you. They haven't just seen your application and decided to make you wait for the fun of it.
SamJ2000
Rep:
?
(Original post by Euapp)
Or an offer for an alternative course.
Is this something that could happen?
Euapp
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Is this something that could happen?
Definitely! I know quite a few people who have been offered alternative courses. They were good candidates but the courses were very oversubscribed, so rather than lose a good candidate they offered an alternative degree course.
SamJ2000
Rep:
?
(Original post by Euapp)
Definitely! I know quite a few people who have been offered alternative courses. They were good candidates but the courses were very oversubscribed, so rather than lose a good candidate they offered an alternative degree course.
That would be the be the next best thing to an offer. Not sure what they would offer instead of Business but I am up for anything if it’s of interest and could help
SamJ2000
Rep:
?
That would be the be the next best thing to an offer. Not sure what they would offer instead of Business but I am up for anything if it’s of interest and could help
Thanks for the info,
Euapp
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I know people that were offered business with a language instead of pure business, but that would depend on you A level choices.
SamJ2000
Rep:
?
(Original post by Euapp)
I know people that were offered business with a language instead of pure business, but that would depend on you A level choices.
I did only apply for Business but did state I am fluent in 3 languages, Spanish, English French so you never know.
Still waiting on 4 after one rejection so you never know.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago

Whichever system is used some are going to be rejected. If a university has more students applying than places then that has to be the case. Universities spend months due to the number of applicants to work through
Jonathanツ
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Whichever system is used some are going to be rejected. If a university has more students applying than places then that has to be the case. Universities spend months due to the number of applicants to work through
True, but my argument about how we are forced to choose too early still stands
Euapp
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I did only apply for Business but did state I am fluent in 3 languages, Spanish, English French so you never know.
Still waiting on 4 after one rejection so you never know.
But if you've only had one rejection up until now you shouldn't panic. There's 4 more choices to get replies from. Did you apply late in the application cycle?
SamJ2000
Rep:
?
(Original post by Euapp)
But if you've only had one rejection up until now you shouldn't panic. There's 4 more choices to get replies from. Did you apply late in the application cycle?
Yes, by 3 days. I had to wait to get my papers translated. I did explain this at the time so I do hope they will take it into consideration. It was so difficult to get any one professional at the time due to lock down etc.
Euapp
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Yes, by 3 days. I had to wait to get my papers translated. I did explain this at the time so I do hope they will take it into consideration. It was so difficult to get any one professional at the time due to lock down etc.
If you have a solid application I wouldn't worry too much.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.76%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.32%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (38)
17.12%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
15.32%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (59)
26.58%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (42)
18.92%

Watched Threads