The Student Room Group

What’s your opinion on all girls schools?

Hey

I know that a lot of girls who went to all girls school say they didn’t enjoy it and found that it was a really toxic environment but I go to one and I a absolutely love it and now would never go back to a mixed school. Just wanted to hear other people’s opinions so feel free to share!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Buddingdentist08
Hey

I know that a lot of girls who went to all girls school say they didn’t enjoy it and found that it was a really toxic environment but I go to one and I a absolutely love it and now would never go back to a mixed school. Just wanted to hear other people’s opinions so feel free to share!

I used to go to one in year 7 and the older kids were horrible. They used to bully the younger years, and a few of them used to shout racial slurs and bully me and my friend group. Some of the kids from older years in that particular school were really violent too.
Obviously it wasn’t all bad, there were some really really nice people, even some older kids that I used to talk with every day. I wasn’t there for that long so i can’t really give a good overall view, but from my experience I think that only girls schools can sometimes be way more toxic and violent than mixed schools. In my current school which is mixed, there’s been wayyy less violent fights, like I can only remember around 4 or 5 proper fights that happened across 4 years - and from these only two were from my year group.
I'm not that keen on "all girls schools", either primary or secondary school age groups.
Long established 'all girls schools' often have a far more intense culture of cliques, hierarchies, spiteful interactions and extreme rivalry between students.
Leading to a deeply unpleasant tradition of entrenched bullying, secrecy and sophisticated coverups.
With multiple generations of alumni & staff from the worst examples of such institutions instinctively following the textbook of ' see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil '.
Original post by londonmyst
I'm not that keen on "all girls schools", either primary or secondary school age groups.
Long established 'all girls schools' often have a far more intense culture of cliques, hierarchies, spiteful interactions and extreme rivalry between students.
Leading to a deeply unpleasant tradition of entrenched bullying, secrecy and sophisticated coverups.
With multiple generations of alumni & staff from the worst examples of such institutions instinctively following the textbook of ' see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil '.

I get what you mean but I disagree. My all girls school is over 300 years old and we don’t really have cliques or anything like that
I went to one and it was fine, I didn't feel anything particularly special or different.
I feel like it’s stupid. Why segregate?
Dumb, it's dumb
I'm a dude so I'm just going to imagine that I'm in a school that was all boys

-_-

Congratulations, I'm going to have nightmares for a while now
Reply 8
Hey

i go to one and it's acc quite good
Original post by Moonlight rain
I feel like it’s stupid. Why segregate?

Girls can work better with all female classmates. I certainly do
Original post by iamthicccccc1405
Dumb, it's dumb

Why?
Original post by tsukife
i go to one and it's acc quite good

Yes, I definitely agree. I think it is dependant on the person though
Original post by Anonymous
Girls can work better with all female classmates. I certainly do

Yeah but how likely is it gonna be that when you get a job, it’s going to be all females? You have to be able to get used to it. In my opinion, it’s the same as many years ago when they segregated people by race.
apparently if you go to a all girls school you will become lesbian or bi like a few years in like girls will like girls idk lol
Original post by Moonlight rain
Yeah but how likely is it gonna be that when you get a job, it’s going to be all females? You have to be able to get used to it. In my opinion, it’s the same as many years ago when they segregated people by race.

It’s extremely unlikely to work in an all female environment of course but it’s not that we have no contact with boys whatsoever. I’m just saying that at this time in your life, lots of girls are more comfortable surrounded by all female classmates
Original post by loraa11
apparently if you go to a all girls school you will become lesbian or bi like a few years in like girls will like girls idk lol

Haha that’s defo not true and I’m sure the OP and others would agree that what you said is very prejudiced
don't agree with single-sex schooling
Definitely good for girls to get their education without boys dragging them down :smile: evidence shows that whilst boys often do better in schools with girls around, girls do best with other girls :biggrin:

i think it's really nice and important for girls to have girls-only spaces.
Hey

My sister and I go to one and are very happy. Some girls left to go to co-ed in the sixth form and they certainly have had stories about 6th form boys that are similar to the headlines in the press. Loads of girls in my school are going to elite unis to do mech eng, EEE, and other applied sciences. I suspect that there are more girls doing the necessary STEM subjects at A level because there are no boys in the class.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Haha that’s defo not true and I’m sure the OP and others would agree that what you said is very prejudiced

I mean not only does that sound homophobic but also just dumb :laugh:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending