The Student Room Group

What’s your opinion on all girls schools?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vapordave
don't agree with single-sex schooling

Why not? No hate just interested to know
don't agree with single-sex schooling

Why not? No hate , just interested to hear
Original post by cucaracha
I mean not only does that sound homophobic but also just dumb :laugh:

So true
Original post by tjlba1101
My sister and I go to one and are very happy. Some girls left to go to co-ed in the sixth form and certainly have had stories about 6th form boys that are similar to the headlines in the press. Loads of girls in my school are going to elite unis to do mech eng, EEE, and other applied sciences. I suspect that there are more girls doing the necessary STEM subjects at A level because there are no boys in the class.

Completely agree that’s very true in my experience
I’ve never been to an all girl school but I think don’t think you can necessarily say they are better as some will be much better than others just as some state schools are better than others.
Original post by tjlba1101
My sister and I go to one and are very happy. Some girls left to go to co-ed in the sixth form and they certainly have had stories about 6th form boys that are similar to the headlines in the press. Loads of girls in my school are going to elite unis to do mech eng, EEE, and other applied sciences. I suspect that there are more girls doing the necessary STEM subjects at A level because there are no boys in the class.

Original post by Buddingdentist08
Completely agree that’s very true in my experience

I do stem a-levels and having boys in the class doesn’t make any difference and I can’t see how being all girl affects the number of girls taking STEM subjects - in fact - my chemistry class only has one boy and nationally I believe for chemistry and biology (I might be wrong) more girls take them than boys. In maths and biology is about an even split of boys and girls in my classes. Computer science and physics are less popular with girls but I don’t know anyone who hasn’t taken an option because they are afraid of boys making up the majority of the class. I’m not saying that it doesn’t happen just that I’ve got friends that do them and they have never been bothered by the number of boys and I’ve never known someone choose not to take STEM options because of the girl to boy ratio.

What sort of headlines in the press, I assume you are referring to assaults etc which is definitely not the norm. I’ve been in a mixed school all my life and have never felt threatened by boys. I have had to deal with sexist teachers who assume boys are more clever and ones that make crude jokes but it’s only ever made me work harder to prove them wrong.

Out of curiosity did you pick and go out of your way to go to an all girls school or is it the most local/ best local school?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Hellllpppp
I’ve never been to an all girl school but I think don’t think you can necessarily say they are better as some will be much better than others just as some state schools are better than others.
I do stem a-levels and having boys in the class doesn’t make any difference and I can’t see how being all girl affects the number of girls taking STEM subjects - in fact - my chemistry class only has one boy and nationally I believe for chemistry and biology (I might be wrong) more girls take them than boys. In maths and biology is about an even split of boys and girls in my classes. Computer science and physics are less popular with girls but I don’t know anyone who hasn’t taken an option because they are afraid of boys making up the majority of the class. I’m not saying that it doesn’t happen just that I’ve got friends that do them and they have never been bothered by the number of boys and I’ve never known someone choose not to take STEM options because of the girl to boy ratio.

What sort of headlines in the press, I assume you are referring to assaults etc which is definitely not the norm. I’ve been in a mixed school all my life and have never felt threatened by boys. I have had to deal with sexist teachers who assume boys are more clever and ones that make crude jokes but it’s only ever made me work harder to prove them wrong.

Out of curiosity did you pick and go out of your way to go to an all girls school or is it the most local/ best local school?

I understand what your saying and completely agree that it is dependent on the person. I also agree that lots of girls do take stem subjects at mixed schools but like I said sometimes girls, like me, just feel more comfortable with all female classmates.

My school isn’t local but it’s a selective school and achieves very good results so that’s why I chose to go there. It was my second choice but my first choice was also an all girls selective school.

Thanks for contributing!
Hey

I know that a lot of girls who went to all girls school say they didn’t enjoy it and found that it was a really toxic environment but I go to one and I a absolutely love it and now would never go back to a mixed school. Just wanted to hear other people’s opinions so feel free to share!

They are VERY toxic - I'd never teach in one again. The bulllying was off the scale and the way they 'kept' grudges against teachers was terrible ... fortunately none against me but had to take students into my class because they were rude to colleagues.
I go to a london all girls private school (all get the rep that they are obnoxious and toxic environments) and although it’s academically intense and the stress can get to you I personally love it and wouldn’t rather be anywhere else. I think it’s such a kind community and there’s less internal worries that can arise from boys also being present. I also do not feel judged and am more comfortable expressing myself in lessons than I think I would be otherwise. We also have like 80% of people doing stem (not that it’s better I do all humanities) but compared to national figures I think it’s good that they encourage girls to do what they love and not necessarily conform to stereotypes.
Original post by Muttley79
They are VERY toxic - I'd never teach in one again. The bulllying was off the scale and the way they 'kept' grudges against teachers was terrible ... fortunately none against me but had to take students into my class because they were rude to colleagues.

That sounds terrible do you think that the cause of that issue might have just been the type of girls that went there? Surely you agree that sometimes they are very beneficial?
Why not? No hate , just interested to hear

I think it's important for children to mix with peers of the opposite sex (and peers that are different to them in general), so they know how to interact as adults.
Original post by Anonymous
I go to a london all girls private school (all get the rep that they are obnoxious and toxic environments) and although it’s academically intense and the stress can get to you I personally love it and wouldn’t rather be anywhere else. I think it’s such a kind community and there’s less internal worries that can arise from boys also being present. I also do not feel judged and am more comfortable expressing myself in lessons than I think I would be otherwise. We also have like 80% of people doing stem (not that it’s better I do all humanities) but compared to national figures I think it’s good that they encourage girls to do what they love and not necessarily conform to stereotypes.

Yes! Totally agree with you. They are demanding but the friendship and community completely makes up for it in my experience
I think it's important for children to mix with peers of the opposite sex (and peers that are different to them in general), so they know how to interact as adults.

Fair enough but just because I go to an all girls school that doesn’t mean I don’t interact with boys.
I understand what your saying and completely agree that it is dependent on the person. I also agree that lots of girls do take stem subjects at mixed schools but like I said sometimes girls, like me, just feel more comfortable with all female classmates.

My school isn’t local but it’s a selective school and achieves very good results so that’s why I chose to go there. It was my second choice but my first choice was also an all girls selective school.

Thanks for contributing!

Personally I would love to go to a selective school without all the distrust I’ve behaviour but I have always wondered what regular schools must be like in areas where the best pupils are elsewhere.

Original post by cucaracha
Definitely good for girls to get their education without boys dragging them down :smile: evidence shows that whilst boys often do better in schools with girls around, girls do best with other girls :biggrin:

i think it's really nice and important for girls to have girls-only spaces.

Just curious why do you think it’s important to have girls-only spaces? And have you got stats I’ve been looking and I can’t find anything comparing attainment?
Fair enough but just because I go to an all girls school that doesn’t mean I don’t interact with boys.

I know, but most of children's social interactions are from school.
That sounds terrible do you think that the cause of that issue might have just been the type of girls that went there? Surely you agree that sometimes they are very beneficial?

No - there are girls schools near where I live now that are just as bad. The number of students with eating disorders tends to be higher than at mixed schools.

When else in life are you in a single gender environment? When I went to university the girls from single gender school were so obvious both in their behaviour around boys and their [lack of] ability to work in a group with them.
I know, but most of children's social interactions are from school.

True but we still get plenty out of school.
No - there are girls schools near where I live now that are just as bad. The number of students with eating disorders tends to be higher than at mixed schools.

When else in life are you in a single gender environment? When I went to university the girls from single gender school were so obvious both in their behaviour around boys and their [lack of] ability to work in a group with them.

That’s just the same as going to all boys school as well but I get what you mean. I know that you are unlikely to ever be in an all female environment again but at this time in my life, as well as lots of other teenage girls, it’s best for us to attend school with all female classmates. I can also say that the majority of students mix with boys outside of school so they still pick up those social skills.
(edited 3 years ago)
True but we still get plenty out of school.

That’s just the same as going to all boys school as well but I get what you mean. I know that you are unlikely to ever be in an all female environment again but at this time in my life, as well as lots of other teenage girls, it’s best for us to attend school with all female classmates. I can also say that the majority of students mix with boys outside of school so they still pick up those social skills.

They don't learn how to work with boys though - and you need to develop that when you are young.

It is NOT best to be in a toxic all female environment - I've seen the damage it does. I've worked in mixed and single gender schools and know a lot of schools well :smile:
They don't learn how to work with boys though - and you need to develop that when you are young.

It is NOT best to be in a toxic all female environment - I've seen the damage it does. I've worked in mixed and single gender schools and know a lot of schools well :smile:

Well I went to a mixed primary and now I see boys outside of school in multiple different activities regularly so I know I have definitely developed that.

I understand that that’s your experience my in my experience so far I know that it is best.

Thanks for contributing. :biggrin:
SO TOXIC like i mean the culture, here are a couple of *unsaid rules*:
the populars and unpopulars dont mix,dont talk and dont look at each other (even if the popular talks to unpopular thatll be gossip, if unpopular talks to popular,popular ignores her)
expect a heirachy there WILL be a queen bee and if you aint friends with her u automatically disowned by the whole year group
if u r popular u have to be part of the netball team or have blue eyes and blonde hair AND be reasonably clever
if u slip up (eg physical looks ie makeup haircut and nails or personality ie if u cry or shout at someone )thatll be the gossip for the next week
carry a black handbag unless its a gold and black backpack
on the bright side:
you do work harder cuz everyone concentrates
you kinda just cope with the mental breakdowns
a tip:
dont trust even ur best friends to give you tips on revision or anything like that they wont give it to you
just try and ignore populars and do ur own thing, that way you will be much happier :smile:
Well I went to a mixed primary and now I see boys outside of school in multiple different activities regularly so I know I have definitely developed that.

I understand that that’s your experience my in my experience so far I know that it is best.

Thanks for contributing. :biggrin:

Primary is very different - you will observe the difference when you go to uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending