The Student Room Group

Access to HE nursing

Hello :smile:
I have been doing my access course for a few months now and I need 30 merits or distinctions for university however I have only really achieved merits and my recent grade was only a pass :frown:
Any tips or advise to get the higher grades my tutors haven’t really explained the best and I really could do with the help?
Original post by Chlobrown
I have been doing my access course for a few months now and I need 30 merits or distinctions for university however I have only really achieved merits and my recent grade was only a pass :frown:
Any tips or advise to get the higher grades my tutors haven’t really explained the best and I really could do with the help?

I've done an Access course with straight distinctions, so I might be able to advise.

One of the key things you need to be aware of in your Access course is that it's graded differently to normal courses. You're marked on the evidence you present in your work. In particular, the teachers will be looking at the grade descriptors in your unit outline for the particular module. If there is sufficient evidence of you meeting the grade descriptor requirements, they will award you the merit or distinction for the particular descriptor.

General things you should be aware of are:
Spelling and grammar
Academic writing style - if you need help on this, I suggest How to Write Great Essays by Peter Levin
Analyse and use critical thinking where possible - find YouTube videos on critical thinking at university level for an approrpiate definition
Referencing properly
Use the headings to your advantage to limit the number of words you will need to use.
Look at the recommended content and material your tutor has provided you - they provide the material to you partly because they contain material for the higher grades. Look through them with a fine toothcomb.

Anything more than that, then I would probably need to see the individual unit outline to explain more.
Original post by Chlobrown

I am with DistanceLearningCentre doing Access to Nursing/Midwifery, so I’m not sure if yours are marked the same as mine but I’m sure they will be similar!

Do outside research. The materials contain enough information to help you pass, but they are too brief to help you get higher grades. Look online for useful websites (simplypsychology is currently WINNING for me, and Khan Academy was very helpful during my biology units), journal articles, studies, book excerpts... Use this further learning in your answers, and reference it appropriately.

Referencing, referencing, REFERENCING. Make sure you include in-text references, a reference list, and a bibliography where necessary. If I’m doubt about whether you should reference that paraphrase, reference it. Always. And make sure you’re doing it in the correct format. Websites like citethisforme are fab to get you started, but are quite often wrong. Check your own citations against ones from the learning materials to get a real sense of how they expect these to be laid out.

Write academically. Aim for perfection with your spelling, grammar, and punctuation. Write like it’s going to be published in a scientific journal - write like a nerd. Pack in as much detail as you can - going under the word limit looks like you haven’t done sufficient research and reading for a higher grade. Be concise with your language at the same time - waffling on looks like you don’t really understand it, like you’re trying to flesh out your word count, and/or can actually talk you out of a higher grade by accidentally contradicting yourself!

Does your provider include anything to help with your assessments? You should always have a list of things that they want to see to allow you to pass, and to give you a higher grade. I know DLC has podcasts accompanying assessments which basically have a list of the things you should be including or thinking about (not the answers obviously, just like “we’d like to see a specific example” and “don’t focus too much on x”). Try to find out if your provider has these available as they are a useful resource.

The feedback can sting at first, but do try to read through it carefully when you are less affected by the grade. My tutor gave me a Merit for a unit, stating that she wanted more specific examples in my work. I added some more specific examples in my next assessment, and low and behold, she gave me a Distinction! Good feedback will tell you exactly what you can do to fix problems, and if you’re not getting that from your feedback sheet, you can absolutely ask your tutor for more detailed feedback on things you can improve.

It’s tricky, I feel like there’s an actual technique for achieving high grades on an Access course - but it’s a technique you can learn! Keep at it, as I’m sure you are doing a fabulous job! 🖤
Original post by MindMax2000
I've done an Access course with straight distinctions, so I might be able to advise.

One of the key things you need to be aware of in your Access course is that it's graded differently to normal courses. You're marked on the evidence you present in your work. In particular, the teachers will be looking at the grade descriptors in your unit outline for the particular module. If there is sufficient evidence of you meeting the grade descriptor requirements, they will award you the merit or distinction for the particular descriptor.

General things you should be aware of are:
Spelling and grammar
Academic writing style - if you need help on this, I suggest How to Write Great Essays by Peter Levin
Analyse and use critical thinking where possible - find YouTube videos on critical thinking at university level for an approrpiate definition
Referencing properly
Use the headings to your advantage to limit the number of words you will need to use.
Look at the recommended content and material your tutor has provided you - they provide the material to you partly because they contain material for the higher grades. Look through them with a fine toothcomb.

Anything more than that, then I would probably need to see the individual unit outline to explain more.

Congratulations on straight distinctions - I got my first merit instead of distinction on a 6-credit unit and cried lmao, so I am very jealous! I know how challenging it can be though, so well done on your hard work paying off! 🖤
Original post by WhoopsItsHannah
Congratulations on straight distinctions - I got my first merit instead of distinction on a 6-credit unit and cried lmao, so I am very jealous! I know how challenging it can be though, so well done on your hard work paying off! 🖤

Thanks. It was a year ago, but it's appreciated. If I can get 2 A*s in my A Levels as well, it would be nice.
If 30 credits at Distinction and 15 at merit is the equivalent to ABB+ What would be the equivalent of 36 credits at Distinction and 9 at Merit?
Original post by traceyannedwards
If 30 credits at Distinction and 15 at merit is the equivalent to ABB+ What would be the equivalent of 36 credits at Distinction and 9 at Merit?

There's no universally agreed equivalence when it comes to Access grades. UCAS allocates merits and distinctions grades differently to say some universities.

Under UCAS, 45 distinctions would not be worth more than AAA, but under some universities' grading system, 45 distinctions = A*A*A*. Go figure.
You would need to check the individual university's Access grade requirements for the course you want to do.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest