help needed - discord (safety risk?) [kinda long]

Watch
username5702447
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hello,
This is a part 2 of a question I had, i got a response (which made me less anxious, thank you to that person) but im still a bit worried. !!you can skip the old question but it would make a bit more sense if u read it!!

-----------[OLD QUESTION]---------
So before I begin, I know I was incredibly stupid. Please don't judge 😭.

So a few months back I had discord and was playing Roblox for fun. This person came up to me and asked me if they could use my avatar for their game, I said sure, and they gave me their discord tag. I added them on discord and they said they need my avatar file - which was a HAR file. I didn't know what a HAR file was, so I stupidly gave it to them, and they got into my account yada yada (they tried to take my account but I signed them out before they could)but that's not what I'm worried about. A few days later some random person with symbols in their discord tag added me. They did have four of their socials linked, but I could only find two (Reddit and Twitter) but on both of these profiles they said that they didn't use these platforms. (On Reddit they put "I don't use Reddit Sm but I'm here" or something and on Twitter they said it was "just a cord fill".). I have no idea who they are because we did not have any mutual friends or servers. It could have been a throwaway account because the original person couldn't take my account. However, this random account had nitro which costs money and i don't think someone would spend money on a throwaway account.

This did happen months ago and nothing else has happened since (but I THINK they joined my clothing group using an alternative account, not sure though) but I'm scared they have some information of mine without me knowing. I've already deleted my discord account permanently. What should I do?
------------[NEW]-----------
So, from this HAR file i sent the person can't get anything other than my cookies. That's great to know, but I still have no idea what this stranger could want from me. I haven't posted my discord anywhere, and this person doesn't have any mutual friends or servers. I doubt that they were from an old server because i rarely ever join servers, let alone leave them. When i used discord I was in 7 servers max. However, I'm slightly worried they somehow dug up information on me. The username i use(d) for discord/roblox is not used on any other social media platform that I use. I was thinking that this random person was the same person that tried to take my account coming back to try again because they couldn't take it the first time, but the random account did have socials linked to them but i could only find two of four accounts they linked (they were both "i dont use ___ tm haha its a cord fill" or whatever). Im also slightly worried because four people i used to talk to know my real name (only first, but one of them knows my last but i know hers too), birthday, and age. (they dont know where i live). They've also seen photos of me. They've all sent photos of themselves, names, ages, etc but im a bit worried that they would leak something. So far nothing has happened and i still trust them, but i have lost contact with most of them.

So back to my main concern, any ideas who this random stranger could be and what they want? Or how they got my tag?

this did happen ages ago and nothing has happened that im aware of

EDIT: i forgot to mention that this random person that somehow got my disc tag did have three badges - first year nitro, hypesquad brilliance and nitro server booster (the triangle one)
Last edited by username5702447; 2 weeks ago
Jonathanツ
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
My apologies, I can't be arsed to read this question
username5702447
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jonathanツ)
My apologies, I can't be arsed to read this question
fair enough
laurawatt
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If nothing’s happened then nothing probably will happen. Make sure you’ve changed any passwords that were the same as your discord’s
username5702447
Rep:
?
(Original post by laurawatt)
If nothing’s happened then nothing probably will happen. Make sure you’ve changed any passwords that were the same as your discord’s
they got in using cookies so i doubt they even know my passwords, but thank you!!
MasterBenedict
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Regarding the second question, I really wouldn't be that worried. As long as you logged out and in and changed your password you should be fine. I'd also suggest enabling an account pin in Roblox settings for peace of mind.

This sounds like a standard cookie logging scam, you were likely chosen completely randomly/because you had a valuable item on your account (such as a limited edition item, or Limited).

I won't go into too much detail, but I've seen the inside and outside of how these scams operate and spent a considerable amount of time trying to understand them. This sounds like a completely standard operation, likely carried out by someone between the ages of 12-18, who has no connection or interest in you beyond stealing your Roblox account.

Hope this helps.
username5702447
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by MasterBenedict)
Regarding the second question, I really wouldn't be that worried. As long as you logged out and in and changed your password you should be fine. I'd also suggest enabling an account pin in Roblox settings for peace of mind.

This sounds like a standard cookie logging scam, you were likely chosen completely randomly/because you had a valuable item on your account (such as a limited edition item, or Limited).

I won't go into too much detail, but I've seen the inside and outside of how these scams operate and spent a considerable amount of time trying to understand them. This sounds like a completely standard operation, likely carried out by someone between the ages of 12-18, who has no connection or interest in you beyond stealing your Roblox account.

Hope this helps.
thank you for the response!! unfortunately i did lose a limited, but i signed them out before they could steal my account and lock it. Im still kind of worried that this new person (the random one that added me) has some of my personal information, even if they weren't the person that tried to steal my account. This person did have a few discord badges (nitro boost, first year nitro, and a hypesquad brilliance badge) so im not sure if it really was the same person, and if it isn't, i don't know how they even got my tag since i haven't posted it anywhere.
ozzyoscy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Ah I remember being a kid on the internet and thinking everything was real and world-ending.

After a few death threats you realise it's all words.
username5702447
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ozzyoscy)
Ah I remember being a kid on the internet and thinking everything was real and world-ending.

After a few death threats you realise it's all words.
i dont know why but that helped me feel less anxious about this whole thing, so thank you for that
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (113)
4.9%
Uncertainty around my education (345)
14.95%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (252)
10.92%
Lack of purpose or motivation (324)
14.04%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (104)
4.51%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (135)
5.85%
Loneliness (199)
8.62%
Financial worries (87)
3.77%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (96)
4.16%
Exposure to negative news/social media (112)
4.85%
Lack of real life entertainment (123)
5.33%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (202)
8.75%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (216)
9.36%

Watched Threads