The Student Room Group

What jobs do private school kids end up doing?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Iasona
You're still rich though and very privileged. I'm guessing you go the Ladies' College. I know the types that go there and to other private schools in the area. Lots end up studying horse breeding at the Royal Agricultural University

yes i go to clc - and there is no 'type' trust me
Original post by pugpuppy111
I went to a private school for a year in Y8 and none of the parents were super rich or posh or had contacts that can get you jobs. They were all working professionals, lawyers, consultants who work extremely hard, save and spend money on their children's education rather than other luxury, material things.

What?

Having family and family friends with professional jobs like lawyers are precisely the contacts you can use to get you good jobs. They allow for easy access to that summer job, that internship, even that paid job that gets your foot through the door.

I know because that is the background I come from. It makes life so much easier. I'm always amazed by how blind people can be to their own privilege.
Original post by barnet1471
Three of the last five Prime Ministers went to fee paying schools.

Don't know what point you're trying to prove, but your sample size is too small lol x
Original post by DuckOnQuack

It is surprisingly harder than you think to maintain/improve your families wealth unless you are a) inheriting a large business/bank account/amount of land or b) motivated to do so.

The last several decades of research into intergenerational social mobility in the UK strongly contradicts your claim.
Original post by Contested Claim
What?

Having family and family friends with professional jobs like lawyers are precisely the contacts you can use to get you good jobs. They allow for easy access to that summer job, that internship, even that paid job that gets your foot through the door.

I know because that is the background I come from. It makes life so much easier. I'm always amazed by how blind people can be to their own privilege.

My best friend's mum is an accountant and nortary at a top firm yet she could not get him an internship or any contacts to help with his career. She tried but it never happened. Again, it depends on the situation, how far up the parent is in the company, the company itself, etc.
Not all lawyers and doctors can help their kids, it just depends.
Private schools equip people with the desirable skills and knowledge that companies usually aim for. You know, explorative mindset, flexibility, people skills etc.. but not everyone is good at that, so not everybody is able to get a job at their daddy’s place as they could just be awful at all of those things, unlike other people who went to normal schools. So experience is nice, yeah, but if the person is a melt, you can’t really change that unless they change themselves
The last several decades of research into intergenerational social mobility in the UK strongly contradicts your claim.

Which is why I gave two examples where it is easy.
What?

Exactly lol, they talk as though it’s shelf stacking at Tesco’s. Little do they know that millions of families survive off minimum wage jobs and will never know the wealth or connections of a job like a solicitor
Original post by janijay
I think it would've been less likely your boys would've gotten into Oxford if they didn't go to a private school. Obviously not impossible as state school students also get in, but you can't deny this has been a cause of contention for many years. Even recently with the whole A Level results day last year, many private school kids were given higher grades compared to state school ones, where there could be a student who is very academically gifted but given lower results because of the school he was in.

I'm not sure what your comments boil down to? Are you saying that private school doesn't give any advantage and it's in the person themselves to make the most of their life? Please clarify this as this is what I haven taken from your response. If so, I think you also have a very out of touch point of view. If you truly believed this then why did you not send your boys to a state school and why did you not go to a state sixth form? Honestly your comments echo the hypocrisy of Diane Abbott sending her son to private school.

In addition, I feel students who are at private schools on bursaries and scholarships have a very different experience than those who's paying are paying for their education. By 'very different experience' I mean scholarship students can be seen differently or even 'poor' and be bullied by other students in the year group from rich families. Scholarship students may not be able to join in with other students in some outside school activities simply because their parents can't afford it. Hence, they make the most of their education and work harder at the opportunity.

Scholarships and bursaries are very different things (at least at my school). Bursary is usually most of if not all of fees paid by school (most of bursary students aren’t especially bright it seems but the school takes a couple from the same school every year). Scholarship goes up to 7% for various things from art or music to maths. Myself and several friends have scholarships but it’s much more to say you have a scholarship rather than the monetary benefits of having one.
Personally I believe private school can give good connections, but I think many send their children for the pastoral system. And the fact that private schools do deliver better results, for example I will openly admit that without my parents or school encouraging me to do well I probably would’ve done worse so far.
As wide a range as most schools I guess. I was private school educated but as far as I know none of my colleagues were.
I’d like to point out that “getting a high paying job” is not necessarily the only reason or even the main reason why people send their children to private schools.
Original post by Iasona
Exactly lol, they talk as though it’s shelf stacking at Tesco’s. Little do they know that millions of families survive off minimum wage jobs and will never know the wealth or connections of a job like a solicitor

I clearly said it depends on the situation. I know someone who is a lawyer and she cannot give her son work experience, an internship or a job at her firm, which is a top law firm. I'm not saying its shelf stacking at Tesco, I'm saying you can't just say "oh his parents are lawyers he can easily get a job at their firm", no, it's not always like that.
Oh, and yes I do know many families who work off of minimum wage jobs and I understand they don't have the connections. Although my best friend does, he cannot make use of it because he won't get anything through his mum. All he can get is some guidance on the process of becoming a lawyer, which can be found online.
His mum's parents never went to university, worked minimum wage jobs, yet she managed to get into a top law firm. She's hardworking and intelligent and that's how she got to where she is today.
Original post by zarayx
i currently go to one of the most expensive private schools in london and can tell you that a lot of them will end up as/already are crack dealers 👍

Wait for real?
Reply 74
Original post by darrene.tpwk
Wait for real?

Very much doubt it. Crack’s just not that popular a drug.
Original post by janijay
For people who have had experience with private school educated students, what kind of jobs do they end up doing? What jobs are regarded as being 'elite'?

Obviously being wealthy and going to private school give connections or connections from their parents to help you to get a good job. I only know a few private school students. Once of them has become a premiership rugby player, another is currently a paralegal. I think the jobs these kids end up doing is also quite situational (how much their parents push them, if they're relying on daddy's inheritance, if they can afford to pursue an unconventional career because of the safety net of their family wealth).

But what do the bog standard private school kids who have parents on a decent salary (not HUGE wealth and not that many connections) end up doing? Doctors, lawyers? I feel like there isn't that much money in those types of jobs anymore to be honest... Unless you work in those sectors until you're like 50.

Also, do some of them flunk and end up doing crap paying jobs? It's hard for me to imagine a child who was born into privilege end up having a poorer lifestyle than their parents... Does wealth keep accumulating? or do a lot of students don't have any ambition because they already know they're rich and end up just getting crap salary jobs? Hope this makes sense.

Quite varied. The school(s) I went to had kids from some pretty wealthy families, but I don't think the school was the main driver of their career choices - I think the university courses they chose had more bearing. I know one or two people from school who just laze about, they either have trust funds or large parental allowances continuing into their 20s, but I don't know many like that - my experience is there's a pretty strong work ethic with people from backgrounds where a parent or grandparent is a very high achiever and a lot of those kinds of families tend to feature high achievers throughout. If anything, the pressure is there to succeed and a lot of pressure not to be a layabout. As regards career choices, I have school friends in the arts, media, civil service, NGOs, politics and business. The school I spent most of my teenage years at tended towards producing people who would go on to be very active in those kinds of fields. There aren't so many scientists, doctors, lawyers, etc, but there are some.
Reply 76
Original post by darrene.tpwk
Wait for real?

yup
Original post by zarayx
yup

R u sure they don’t just do drugs cos virtually everyone ik has done drugs at school at one point, but I wouldn’t say they would be crack dealers.
Reply 78
Original post by RamseyGOAT
R u sure they don’t just do drugs cos virtually everyone ik has done drugs at school at one point, but I wouldn’t say they would be crack dealers.

some already are dealers.
Original post by janijay
For people who have had experience with private school educated students, what kind of jobs do they end up doing? What jobs are regarded as being 'elite'?

Obviously being wealthy and going to private school give connections or connections from their parents to help you to get a good job. I only know a few private school students. Once of them has become a premiership rugby player, another is currently a paralegal. I think the jobs these kids end up doing is also quite situational (how much their parents push them, if they're relying on daddy's inheritance, if they can afford to pursue an unconventional career because of the safety net of their family wealth).

But what do the bog standard private school kids who have parents on a decent salary (not HUGE wealth and not that many connections) end up doing? Doctors, lawyers? I feel like there isn't that much money in those types of jobs anymore to be honest... Unless you work in those sectors until you're like 50.

Also, do some of them flunk and end up doing crap paying jobs? It's hard for me to imagine a child who was born into privilege end up having a poorer lifestyle than their parents... Does wealth keep accumulating? or do a lot of students don't have any ambition because they already know they're rich and end up just getting crap salary jobs? Hope this makes sense.

When I was at uni back in the day, one of my neighbours in the halls had come from Pangbourne College and said that he was due to inherit millions in his 20s. He was doing engineering (mechanical?) and was into boats - Pangbourne is a nautical college after all. I lost touch with him as our degrees weren't in sync so no idea what he's doing now but I doubt that he's struggling in life!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending