?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
like uni work
need motivation tips

Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Don't let yourself do anything else until you do your work and 'bribe' yourself by saying if you do X pages of work you get to watch 1 episode of TV (or something)
Hope this helps
Arden University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi there,

I think a lot of the time you may not have the motivation to complete your work and this is where self-discipline comes in. For me, some days I feel like just procrastinating and sitting around the house all day doing nothing, but I know I'll regret it and feel bad for not sitting down and doing some work. Some days you have to force yourself to sit down and study - I know it can be quite difficult at the moment with everyone in a lockdown and so you cannot dissociate your study life from home life.

In this situation, I would suggest having a separate place where you would normally do all your work so when you go there you know you need to sit down and concentrate. This may be as simple as your dining room, where there is no technology that may distract you. The biggest problem with being at home and studying, is all the distractions are easily accessible to you so removing them from the room will help you a lot with concentrating on the task at hand. As said above, giving yourself little goals before you can do something you enjoy, such as watching an episode of a programme you've been watching, has always helped me. I give myself daily goals on what needs to be completed by the end of the day, with mini goals in between. This always increases my productivity as I know I will be praising myself for it afterwards. You always feel a lot better when you actually crack down and complete the work than if you didn't! Little breaks are also so beneficial - I tend to go for little 10 minute walks throughout my day to relax my brain, and get rid of any brain fog I might have.

Self-discipline on those days where you lack motivation will come a lot easier if you are passionate about the subject you are studying, even thinking about future prospects and where it will lead you. Reminding yourself of what it is you want and how you're going to get it may give you the push to sit down and do your work!

Hope this helps

Toni Bennett
Arden University Student Ambassador
Dragon264
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by 1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.)
Don't let yourself do anything else until you do your work and 'bribe' yourself by saying if you do X pages of work you get to watch 1 episode of TV (or something)
Hope this helps
Using a reward system is really helpful to motivate yourself. I use chocolate to motivate myself! However TV is probably a healthier option
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (88)
42.72%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (33)
16.02%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (82)
39.81%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (3)
1.46%

Watched Threads