Kirsty2C
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hello,

I have my online interview tomorrow morning. I have prepared a presentation like they asked and I know that there will also be a 20 min session where I have to present a lesson as well as a 20 min formal interview. They have also said there will be a 20 min subject knowledge interview and this is the bit I am really freaking out about. Its to do a primary course, I do have a degree and the relevant GCSE's ect but I haven't had to do key stage one or two stuff for soo long that I cant remember much. Has anyone had experience of doing this type of interview and could you let me know types of questions asked? Thanks!
Kumaa1995
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Kirsty2C)
Hello,

I have my online interview tomorrow morning. I have prepared a presentation like they asked and I know that there will also be a 20 min session where I have to present a lesson as well as a 20 min formal interview. They have also said there will be a 20 min subject knowledge interview and this is the bit I am really freaking out about. Its to do a primary course, I do have a degree and the relevant GCSE's ect but I haven't had to do key stage one or two stuff for soo long that I cant remember much. Has anyone had experience of doing this type of interview and could you let me know types of questions asked? Thanks!
I'm not sure how it works for secondary education, but this is essentially the equivalent of a Micro teach. They probably aren't expecting pitch-perfect teaching methodologies and resources. Just prepare a presentation, be sure to ask questions through the session, treat them as if they were your students. This is something that a lot of schools will expect from you during an interview, where you'll deliver a 20-minute micro-teach so they can assess your teaching ability. I never had this as part of the interview process for my PGCE, but we did have a micro-teach assessment!

Not questions along the lines of "Do you understand this"- But more specific questions which will allow you to assess for knowledge and learning. These are the keys to a good session, and making sure your students are learning. Make sure your presentation doesn't go straight to the point. Whilst it's a 20-minute session, you don't need to cover a great deal of material, just making sure you cover a topic so that you can demonstrate your confidence. Spending a couple of minutes at the start of the session to outline your aims and objectives will allow the 'students' to understand their expectations of the session.

Subject knowledge, had this been written in advance I would've recommended spending some time going over past papers for both GCSE/A-Level and seeing the depth with which you can talk about it. This is a weird one because this to a degree is where lesson plans and just general planning/preparation is key. Not to mention teaching resources with exam boards exist for a reason.

I realize this entire message reaches you too late, but hopefully, others can take something from it, probably. Wish you the best of luck all the same!
Last edited by Kumaa1995; 2 weeks ago
Kirsty2C
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Thank you for your reply. I had my interview yesterday and got offered the place on the spot 😊
Kumaa1995
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Kirsty2C)
Thank you for your reply. I had my interview yesterday and got offered the place on the spot 😊
Congratulations and best of luck on the course!

It's definitely a busy one
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (170)
41.87%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (60)
14.78%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (168)
41.38%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
1.97%

Watched Threads