jbrdodd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I'm a history tutor whos tutoring a year 10 student at the moment.

I teach a certain topic then I put flashcards for her to copy down on the next slide. So this means she listens to me whilst I explain a topic then she has time on the next slide to create flashcards so she is able to listen and get down the vital information

However, I'm doubting myself whether if this is an effective method and whether if writing too much during a session is bad for the student and should just get her to copy the flashcards in her own time so Im able to teach more material.
Kumaa1995
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I can't speak much on History in particular but...

Since this looks to be 1:1, I would work on the amount of teaching material, whilst recommending studying/revision methods to the student in their own time, as developing these flip cards in their own time will allow the student to try and recall the information.

You can work on trying to use video materials, alongside doing things such as mindmaps. It'll let her connect things better so she has a more thorough understanding. Not to mention just be sure to give her plenty of time to ask questions.

If you haven't already perhaps put recommended reading/revision resources on the slides so she can also refer to these in her own time, especially if she also has a copy of the slides.

It would also perhaps be worthwhile in spending some time on the subsequent lesson covering the previous lesson, to see if she can recall the information. If it is a 1:1, then you can maybe try and use the time to allow her to recall/teach you the information. Not in that view, but students that are able to teach others or recite information to others will generally have the benefit of retaining the information and being more comfortable with the information. Heck, if you wanted to take it a step further, in advance of the session you could given her a specific topic to research/revise on in her own time with recommended reading, or even your own notes in advance, allow her to cover this, and then have a go at trying to 'teach' or recite the information back at you in a small/miniature delivery of teaching. This will let her be more comfortable in the subject whilst allowing you to pick up on any points she may have missed or got wrong in her own delivery.

Lastly, don't be afraid of deviating from slides when and where possible to create a discussion-board-esque session where you both discuss the topic, be it through the aid of a video, or even just a general discussion, and don't be afraid of asking her on her thoughts of your teaching- Allow her to take some control/responsibility over it, I guess!
Last edited by Kumaa1995; 2 weeks ago
jbrdodd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Kumaa1995)
I can't speak much on History in particular but...

Since this looks to be 1:1, I would work on the amount of teaching material, whilst recommending studying/revision methods to the student in their own time, as developing these flip cards in their own time will allow the student to try and recall the information.

You can work on trying to use video materials, alongside doing things such as mindmaps. It'll let her connect things better so she has a more thorough understanding. Not to mention just be sure to give her plenty of time to ask questions.

If you haven't already perhaps put recommended reading/revision resources on the slides so she can also refer to these in her own time, especially if she also has a copy of the slides.

It would also perhaps be worthwhile in spending some time on the subsequent lesson covering the previous lesson, to see if she can recall the information. If it is a 1:1, then you can maybe try and use the time to allow her to recall/teach you the information. Not in that view, but students that are able to teach others or recite information to others will generally have the benefit of retaining the information and being more comfortable with the information. Heck, if you wanted to take it a step further, in advance of the session you could given her a specific topic to research/revise on in her own time with recommended reading, or even your own notes in advance, allow her to cover this, and then have a go at trying to 'teach' or recite the information back at you in a small/miniature delivery of teaching. This will let her be more comfortable in the subject whilst allowing you to pick up on any points she may have missed or got wrong in her own delivery.

Lastly, don't be afraid of deviating from slides when and where possible to create a discussion-board-esque session where you both discuss the topic, be it through the aid of a video, or even just a general discussion, and don't be afraid of asking her on her thoughts of your teaching- Allow her to take some control/responsibility over it, I guess!
My only problem about teaching just material is that I want to make sure theyre getting effective materials, because if she doesnt write them in the session theres the worry she wont do them at all.

Another problem with using video material is simply that I have little to zero time by the end of the session and usually overun teaching content and making her write flashcards too.

That idea about her teaching the lesson is definitely a good idea and will incorperate it into my tutoring at some point

And just to mention, her mum has mentioned that she has been asking her dad to ask her questions from the flashcards we have been making in the sessions so I do believe my sessions have been effective
mike23mike
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by jbrdodd)
I'm a history tutor whos tutoring a year 10 student at the moment.

I teach a certain topic then I put flashcards for her to copy down on the next slide. So this means she listens to me whilst I explain a topic then she has time on the next slide to create flashcards so she is able to listen and get down the vital information

However, I'm doubting myself whether if this is an effective method and whether if writing too much during a session is bad for the student and should just get her to copy the flashcards in her own time so Im able to teach more material.
Flashcards are an effective learning tool. A quick look at Google Scholar seems to indicate their successful use for learning vocab:

- The Impact of Using Flash Cards on Promoting University Students’ Knowledge of Vocabulary
-
Intentional Vocabulary Learning Using Digital Flashcards
-
Using flash card as instructional media to enrich the student's vocabulary mastery in learning English

I could not see any research papers on the use of flashcards for learning history. Lots of schools publish their revision guides online e.g Kingsmead School.

I recommend you work through topic XXX then work on some 4-mark short answer questions on topic XXX and build up to the longer essay question (9 & 12 marks).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (162)
41.86%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (56)
14.47%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (161)
41.6%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
2.07%

Watched Threads