The Student Room Group

US threatens to pummel UK industries

I punched up the title a little but its hardly untrue. I do wonder where all those poor mistaken people wittering on about 'taking back control' are now, seeing as the the cold hand of reality has put paid to that rubbish of making trade deals and being able to do as they want.
As the US has nicely shown here, sovereignty is relative, we havent gained much and we are now economically infinitely weaker to be bullied by our former colonies.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-56565636

Scroll to see replies

Screenshot_2021-03-30-10-03-27-75.jpg

If only we had a US president who actually liked the UK ...
Original post by Starship Trooper

Is this satire?

These tariffs were first proposed by the Trump administration. Additionally, if you read the article, you'd be aware that the Biden administration had removed some tariffs on British goods originally imposed by Trump.
Reply 3
Original post by Napp
I punched up the title a little but its hardly untrue. I do wonder where all those poor mistaken people wittering on about 'taking back control' are now, seeing as the the cold hand of reality has put paid to that rubbish of making trade deals and being able to do as they want.
As the US has nicely shown here, sovereignty is relative, we havent gained much and we are now economically infinitely weaker to be bullied by our former colonies.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-56565636

I like how you put in the Brexit angle when the Eurozone has been threatened with the same (indeed the tech tax is one of the things we'd been working together on).

I should clarify that I oppose this. A tech tax is simply beaurocratic double taxation and only required because the government fears wholesale reform of tax avoidance law and transfer pricing.
Reply 4
Original post by Rakas21
I like how you put in the Brexit angle when the Eurozone has been threatened with the same (indeed the tech tax is one of the things we'd been working together on).

I should clarify that I oppose this. A tech tax is simply beaurocratic double taxation and only required because the government fears wholesale reform of tax avoidance law and transfer pricing.

Are you denying the facts then or merely taking umbrage that i mentioned it?
The EU has not been threatened with tariffs anyway, specifically those discussions have been dropped.

Might i ask why youre defending American corporates who do nothing but harm to the UK though? Tax dodging being an odd thing to defend by most accounts, especially foreign firms.
Reply 5

He didnt though? :s-smilie: His administration actively said to take Britain to the cleaners and whacked us with tariffs. Despite what some poor deluded souls would think, there is no real special relationship and thge US is out for its own :lol: Not a bad thing for them but not good for the UK and never really has been.
Original post by Napp
He didnt though? :s-smilie: His administration actively said to take Britain to the cleaners and whacked us with tariffs. Despite what some poor deluded souls would think, there is no real special relationship and thge US is out for its own :lol: Not a bad thing for them but not good for the UK and never really has been.

Last time I checked he'd offered us a deal which Britain declined because of something to do with Airbus...

Agree, although trump spoke up for Biden and did want s deal unlike Biden and Obama who gave us the cold shoulder
Reply 7
Original post by Napp
Are you denying the facts then or merely taking umbrage that i mentioned it?
The EU has not been threatened with tariffs anyway, specifically those discussions have been dropped.

Might i ask why youre defending American corporates who do nothing but harm to the UK though? Tax dodging being an odd thing to defend by most accounts, especially foreign firms

As alluded to in my second paragraph I don't defend their tax dodging however I argue that the government should finally overhaul the tax code rather than ignore tax avoidance and institute double taxation.
But wait! I thought we held all the cards? I thought we were taking back control? I thought there would be countries lining up at Downing Street for deals!
Reply 9
Last time I checked he'd offered us a deal which Britain declined because of something to do with Airbus...

Agree, although trump spoke up for Biden and did want s deal unlike Biden and Obama who gave us the cold shoulder

Ah the plane subsidies have been rumbling on for a while. I cant say ive heard of that torpedoing any deal though, as opposed to tariffs?
To be fair none of them want a 'deal' n the sense Britain gets anything. All of these people are 'america first' and want to damage our sovereignty (irony abounds brexiteers) by offloading substandard muck (particularly food) into our market. Not to mention by killing our agri industry. I wouldnt call that a deal to be honest as opposed to a capitulation since Westminster knows they have no leverage.

At any rate, i have yet to see a single redeeming feature of any trade deal with America aside from cheap 3rd rate food being allowed into our shops.
Reply 10
Original post by Rakas21
As alluded to in my second paragraph I don't defend their tax dodging however I argue that the government should finally overhaul the tax code rather than ignore tax avoidance and institute double taxation.

I cant say i understand that double taxation comment sorry? Couldf you expand on that?
Indeed it should though. Alas, every time they do it simply gets worse. Either way, this comes across as naked quasi-mercantilism by the yanks in threatening to punish Britain for trying to extract money we're owed by their firms.
I think we deserve it y'know? A bit of revenge for all those taxes the uk put on us before the revolutionary war.
Original post by Napp
I cant say i understand that double taxation comment sorry? Couldf you expand on that?
Indeed it should though. Alas, every time they do it simply gets worse. Either way, this comes across as naked quasi-mercantilism by the yanks in threatening to punish Britain for trying to extract money we're owed by their firms.

Instituting a new levy when an old one already exists (i.e. the one they are avoiding) amounts to de facto double taxation and additional beaurocracy at that.

Indeed they are but that's not a shock. As alluded to many times before, Trumpian foreign policy was actually quite popular in Congress.
Original post by Napp
At any rate, i have yet to see a single redeeming feature of any trade deal with America aside from cheap 3rd rate food being allowed into our shops.

Greater access to the millions of US consumers? The whole food thing is hilarious to me considering how much trash we eat in the UK eg pork scratchings, various fast food joints and saver food items and ready meals...

I'm not the biggest free trader guy as you may know but I would say there is less risk to our sovereignty with a trade deal with the US than with being in say the single market see Norway.

As I've said before I'm not a sovereignty or death brexiteer- as I've said before if the EU was being run by Orban or Le Pen I could advocate rejoining (and I suspect Militant remainers will become born again Brexiteers were that to happen).
Original post by Rakas21
Trumpian foreign policy was actually quite popular in Congress.

Actions speak louder than words. Especially from politicians.

Trump was the only one who followed through on running on a non interventionist platform. (And no blowing up an empty airfield or assassinating a Iranian general doesn't really contravene that, though I don't condone that).
Reply 15
Greater access to the millions of US consumers? The whole food thing is hilarious to me considering how much trash we eat in the UK eg pork scratchings, various fast food joints and saver food items and ready meals...

I'm not the biggest free trader guy as you may know but I would say there is less risk to our sovereignty with a trade deal with the US than with being in say the single market see Norway.

As I've said before I'm not a sovereignty or death brexiteer- as I've said before if the EU was being run by Orban or Le Pen I could advocate rejoining (and I suspect Militant remainers will become born again Brexiteers were that to happen).

You make it sound like Britain has something to sell to these 'millions of US customers' :lol:
More than slightly facetious but either way, it is a well known fact that us food standards are disgusting.
You would only join the EU if it was run by an autocrat or the daughter of a fascist (she herself being one as well to be frank)...?
Reply 16
Original post by Rakas21
Instituting a new levy when an old one already exists (i.e. the one they are avoiding) amounts to de facto double taxation and additional beaurocracy at that.

Indeed they are but that's not a shock. As alluded to many times before, Trumpian foreign policy was actually quite popular in Congress.

Both a damning indictment of he US and an example par excellence of why the world dislikes America these days.. They can either be the leader of the world and respected for high morals and all that jazz or they can be selfish and hated, what they cant do is whine about the latter like they seem inclined to do. For example, their complaining that Iranians chant death to America i always found utterly hilarious given the history. Never mind the eyewatering irony of complaining about foreign migrants from south america given the US is the sole reason they exist in the first place.

Case in point, the critters that pass for congressmen are one of the main reasons China is winning across the world these days. After all, the only US 'victories' against it have been the result of bending arms and naked threats to 'allies'.

Is it just me or is that not the actions of an 'ally' we should have much to do with? Their defence umbrella not withstanding.
Original post by Napp
You make it sound like Britain has something to sell to these 'millions of US customers' :lol:

More than slightly facetious but either way, it is a well known fact that us food standards are disgusting.

You would only join the EU if it was run by an autocrat or the daughter of a fascist (she herself being one as well to be frank)...?

I'm sure we've got all sorts of crap to sell them and vice versa.

Meh. Millions of UK tourists seem to manage fine.

If that's how you want to characterise them but yes basically. I would describe then as social conservatives that unlike the current EU crowd actually like their prospective countries and have the radical notion that bringing in millions of immigrants/ refugees might not be the bestest idea in the world..
Original post by Napp
Both a damning indictment of he US and an example par excellence of why the world dislikes America these days.. They can either be the leader of the world and respected for high morals and all that jazz or they can be selfish and hated, what they cant do is whine about the latter like they seem inclined to do. For example, their complaining that Iranians chant death to America i always found utterly hilarious given the history.

Never mind the eyewatering irony of complaining about foreign migrants from south america given the US is the sole reason they exist in the first place.

Case in point, the critters that pass for congressmen are one of the main reasons China is winning across the world these days

. After all, the only US 'victories' against it have been the result of bending arms and naked threats to 'allies'.

Is it just me or is that not the actions of an 'ally' we should have much to do with? Their defence umbrella not withstanding.

Agreed but that's been the case for decades, at least since Nuremberg maybe longer.

That's not how it works. That's like saying Britain should have to pay a trillion pounds to Africa as reparations for colonialism (Which I believe you rightly don't support)

Agreed

With the 'bending arms' thing are you referring to Trump telling NATO countries to pull their weight? If so why should the US have to subsidize a rich country like Germany who can't be bothered to pay for their own military?

Agreed, at least under the Biden Admin 😉. Whilst we're at it we should cool our relationship with the Saudis and Israel too...
Original post by Napp
Both a damning indictment of he US and an example par excellence of why the world dislikes America these days.. They can either be the leader of the world and respected for high morals and all that jazz or they can be selfish and hated, what they cant do is whine about the latter like they seem inclined to do. For example, their complaining that Iranians chant death to America i always found utterly hilarious given the history. Never mind the eyewatering irony of complaining about foreign migrants from south america given the US is the sole reason they exist in the first place.

Case in point, the critters that pass for congressmen are one of the main reasons China is winning across the world these days. After all, the only US 'victories' against it have been the result of bending arms and naked threats to 'allies'.

To be honest I don't think the idealised lovely us has ever existed. They spent the first half of the 20th century being isolationist and stayed out of the war against fascism until it suited them and since ww2 they have fired on a British ship headed for Cuba among other things. They are simply being more overt about their self interest albeit some of it required in the face of corporate globalism shafting ordinary people. Their only saving grace (which remains the case) is that they are preferable to the enemy of the day.

I'm broadly content with the current relationship albeit as a nationalist I'd perhaps do a little more alone (I don't view the choice as choosing between the us or EU because I believe we can stand on our two feet and am happy to play both those sides given the real long term issue is the Rise of Asia.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending