JessD3333
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hey guys!

I am aware that this is quite a niche question but does anyone have any advice on how to write a good 30 mark essay in the appraising section of the exam,

particularly on what to include in an introduction, forming an argument and making sophisticated wider listening links

any help would be much appreciated
nnth
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by JessD3333)
Hey guys!

I am aware that this is quite a niche question but does anyone have any advice on how to write a good 30 mark essay in the appraising section of the exam,

particularly on what to include in an introduction, forming an argument and making sophisticated wider listening links

any help would be much appreciated
Hi I do edexcel A level music, here are some tips that mya help you when writing the essays:

- write an introduction which contextualises the composer and that work. You can talk about the period in which they composed their piece, the genre, similar composers, who inspired them, who they inspired, their main pieces, and why they composed that piece
- for every point you make in the paragraphs about the music elements, you have to include descriptive adjectives, context, and wider listening.
- split the paragraphs up according to the music elements. E.g. one paragraph for rhythm, tempo and metre, one paragraph for melody
- you don't need a conclusion as it's not an analytical essay, therefore you don't need a line of argument. In these types of essays, you're describing the music and showing your understanding of key terms, but there is no debate question.
Last edited by nnth; 3 months ago
JessD3333
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by nnth)
Hi I do edexcel A level music, here are some tips that mya help you when writing the essays:

- write an introduction which contextualises the composer and that work. You can talk about the period in which they composed their piece, the genre, similar composers, who inspired them, who they inspired, their main pieces, and why they composed that piece
- for every point you make in the paragraphs about the music elements, you have to include descriptive adjectives, context, and wider listening.
- split the paragraphs up according to the music elements. E.g. one paragraph for rhythm, tempo and metre, one paragraph for melody
- you don't need a conclusion as it's not an analytical essay, therefore you don't need a line of argument. In these types of essays, you're describing the music and showing your understanding of key terms, but there is no debate question.
thank you so much!
nnth
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by JessD3333)
thank you so much!
you're welcome
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (58)
21.8%
Excited but a bit nervous (122)
45.86%
Not bothered either way (34)
12.78%
I'm really nervous (52)
19.55%

Watched Threads