Is it possible to study 3 GCSEs AND 3 A levels in 1 or 2 years?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
username4832702
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I didn't get the grades I wanted at GCSE or A level, and I really want to do medicine. I've been advised to re-take my GCSEs and take a year or two out and complete 3 A levels.

I don't know what to do.

Has anyone else here done that?

Currently, I'm in my first year of a STEM degree (non-science).

Any advice would be appreciated
bejie
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
IMO do it one at a time and take it easy on yourself, so you could do 3 GCSE in one year, the levels in 2 years after your degree/ or leave the degree IF it would not help you for medicine, so check the uni etc.

so if I was you

do your degree if you check unis will accept your degree onto a medical course whether that be a graduate or non graduate, so you would not need to take a levels or gcse again and simply do work experience extra curricular and do well in ucat

or
do what is required e.g only sit gcses/ a levels if needed on top of your degree after the degree , and at the same time do additional work to be a competitive applicant..
superbo9y
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Déessee

could you tell me what GCSE's you plan on retaking, as well as what A-levels you are taking, and what grade you got for each?
This helps measure the difficulty of each one, and how long it would roughly take you to redo those.
You could post it here, or PM me, and I'll do my best to help

kind regards
Last edited by superbo9y; 5 months ago
username4832702
Rep:
?
(Original post by superbo9y)
Déessee

could you tell me what GCSE's you plan on retaking, as well as what A-levels you are taking, and what grade you got for each?
This helps measure the difficulty of each one, and how long it would roughly take you to redo those.
You could post it here, or PM me, and I'll do my best to help

kind regards
1. Plan on retaking gcse Maths, Bio & Chem.
2. Plan on taking A level Bio, Chem & a 3rd A level (unsure).
Didn't do the above 3 A levels, and got Bs & Cs for the GCSEs.
superbo9y
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
iam currently

IMO
...and im guessing you require A's for the GCSE's (equivalent of a 7+)
Also for the A-level Bio and Chem - that alone (from 0 to all content) as you know takes 2 years by itself (AS and A-level years).
Hmm - this will take quite the dedication, you should know that.
It's good to be realistic in life.
If you were working at a grade B/C in GCSE Maths, bio and chem [GCSE] (or rather, what you got in your exam) - it could take anywhere between 6 months (mimimum) up to 12 months+ to get that grade up. It could even be less than that, depending on your effort, work rate and consistency.

As for the A-levels (only considering Bio and Chem as of now) - if it takes 2 years on average (simply on a normal school time-table) - the main differences are (im assuming)
no tutor (downside)
but
you aren't working on a fixed schedule (upside) - which means you can be very flexible in terms of how you would like to work up to those gcses/ A-levels you set yourself to achieve.

If i knew more information (more about yourself, for instance, or how you intend to achieve this vocation) , maybe my guess would be more accurate, but I would say (approx)

for GCSE's, ~ 6 months
for A-levels ~ 18 months

so in total, approx 24 months - 2 years

this is literally just a number.

Everything you actually do, will be different in its own way, i.e. no one ever knows for sure how long it would take to complete it, how well you do things, and so on.

Take things in your own stride.

have a good think about what you would like to do, how you plan to implement this, and where you see yourself in a few years time.

Now make a decision, and once you do, follow the path to success.

---------------------------

I have plenty of amazing various revision resources, so does the rest of the TSR team, and likewise the internet itself, so don't hesitate to reach out to anyone for some support.

I'll end this post with a quote from no other than Einstein himself;

“The only source of knowledge is experience.”

do with that as you wish 😅
🍀 Good luck to you, whatever you decide to do, Déessee,

✌🏽
username4832702
Rep:
?
(Original post by superbo9y)
iam currently

IMO
...and im guessing you require A's for the GCSE's (equivalent of a 7+)
Also for the A-level Bio and Chem - that alone (from 0 to all content) as you know takes 2 years by itself (AS and A-level years).
Hmm - this will take quite the dedication, you should know that.
It's good to be realistic in life.
If you were working at a grade B/C in GCSE Maths, bio and chem [GCSE] (or rather, what you got in your exam) - it could take anywhere between 6 months (mimimum) up to 12 months+ to get that grade up. It could even be less than that, depending on your effort, work rate and consistency.

As for the A-levels (only considering Bio and Chem as of now) - if it takes 2 years on average (simply on a normal school time-table) - the main differences are (im assuming)
no tutor (downside)
but
you aren't working on a fixed schedule (upside) - which means you can be very flexible in terms of how you would like to work up to those gcses/ A-levels you set yourself to achieve.

If i knew more information (more about yourself, for instance, or how you intend to achieve this vocation) , maybe my guess would be more accurate, but I would say (approx)

for GCSE's, ~ 6 months
for A-levels ~ 18 months

so in total, approx 24 months - 2 years

this is literally just a number.

Everything you actually do, will be different in its own way, i.e. no one ever knows for sure how long it would take to complete it, how well you do things, and so on.

Take things in your own stride.

have a good think about what you would like to do, how you plan to implement this, and where you see yourself in a few years time.

Now make a decision, and once you do, follow the path to success.

---------------------------

I have plenty of amazing various revision resources, so does the rest of the TSR team, and likewise the internet itself, so don't hesitate to reach out to anyone for some support.

I'll end this post with a quote from no other than Einstein himself;

“The only source of knowledge is experience.”

do with that as you wish 😅
🍀 Good luck to you, whatever you decide to do, Déessee,

✌🏽
Thank you for this useful reply
I would need to take a 3rd A level so that number would change = will take longer than 2 years?

I will PM you.
Prefect1992
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Can't comment on GCSE's Specifically but I'm currently studying on a level 2 qualification (not something that would be taught at GCSE though) and the guided learning hours (different from total hours as this is just time taken to read through workbooks etc) are like 8-10 hours over 10 weeks or so.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I think doing 3 A-levels from scratch and retaking 3 GCSEs in one year is excessive and probably unrealistic. I imagine medical schools would expect you to complete any A-levels taken within the usual two year timeframe rather than sit them over a longer period though. However not all medical schools have stringent GCSE grade cut off points (and some may not have any), so whether you need to retake GCSEs would probably mainly depend on your maths/English language/science GCSE grades.

Note that I believe several medical schools don't consider applications from people who have started any degree elsewhere, and many indicate they strongly prefer would-be applicants in that position to complete their degree then apply for graduate entry medicine. Of course GEM is more competitive than standard entry medicine, but the fact they include that language might be an indication that dropping out of a degree to reapply to medicine, or reapply to medicine while on another course, may make you be seen as a less competitive applicant anyway. ecolier might know if this is the case or not?
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
...Note that I believe several medical schools don't consider applications from people who have started any degree elsewhere...
I have been discussing with OP elsewhere about their plan to medicine anyway... med schools will usually mind if a student is currently studying a degree (if they are not due to graduate next year), but if OP drops out then it should be OK.

The bottleneck would then be - can OP do all these in a year?
username4832702
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)

The bottleneck would then be - can OP do all these in a year?
It's not 1 year though, it's two, isn't it? 2023 entry, so can't i sit the exams in 2023 the summer before?
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Yes, you can.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
6.45%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (6)
19.35%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (3)
9.68%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (3)
9.68%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (11)
35.48%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (6)
19.35%

Watched Threads