Postgraduate Student Loan Confusion!!

Watch
JackYoung49
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I'm currently enrolled on an MSc course, where I started full-time in September 2019, before changing to part-time in time for 2nd semester after Christmas.

By the end of the academic year in June 2020, I had completed 100/180 credits and was due to restart in January 2021 to complete the remaining modules. However, it is a lab-based course and there was no opportunity to be in labs due to Covid-19 and I decided not to continue with my Masters.

I am unsure whether I will complete my MSc starting in January 2022 (or whether the uni will let me) or whether to just take a PGCert/PGDip.

How will this affect my student finance? I've received about £9000 of the £10,906 I was entitled to so far, but obviously have still had to pay for rent and everything that goes along with it. Will I need to pay any of it back?
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by JackYoung49)
I'm currently enrolled on an MSc course, where I started full-time in September 2019, before changing to part-time in time for 2nd semester after Christmas.

By the end of the academic year in June 2020, I had completed 100/180 credits and was due to restart in January 2021 to complete the remaining modules. However, it is a lab-based course and there was no opportunity to be in labs due to Covid-19 and I decided not to continue with my Masters.

I am unsure whether I will complete my MSc starting in January 2022 (or whether the uni will let me) or whether to just take a PGCert/PGDip.

How will this affect my student finance? I've received about £9000 of the £10,906 I was entitled to so far, but obviously have still had to pay for rent and everything that goes along with it. Will I need to pay any of it back?
Is Student Finance aware of your current circumstances (i.e. that you've gone part-time etc.)? They will be best placed to advise you on whether any overpayments have been made and so on.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (190)
5.05%
Uncertainty around my education (552)
14.66%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (420)
11.16%
Lack of purpose or motivation (518)
13.76%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (188)
4.99%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (225)
5.98%
Loneliness (316)
8.39%
Financial worries (138)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (146)
3.88%
Exposure to negative news/social media (168)
4.46%
Lack of real life entertainment (214)
5.68%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (336)
8.92%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (354)
9.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed