Is it possible to identify the IV and DV in a correlational study?- Rep available

Watch
italianstallion
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
In my psychology courswork I have to indicated my DV, IV and EVs. However, since i'm doing a correlational analysis I'm not sure which one each one is. Can someone help
adarklingplain
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Dependant variable is the variable which depends on the thing you're changing (well that's how I remember it) so if you were doing a correlational analysis on the effect of the rate of interval on recall, then the DV would be the level of recall, because it depends on the independant variable, which you yourself are changing (the length of interval).
RightSaidJames
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It's not that hard, just read the definitions of each term and match it to the correct variable:

IV - Independent Variable - The variable being modified in order to produce results
DV - Dependent Variable - The variable being measured by you, whose value may or may not depend on the IV.
EVs - External Variables - Variables in the experiment not being controlled or measured, but which may interfere with the results.

Saying all that, correlational studies don't have have an IV or a DV, because they're just analyses of events that have already happened, not experiments.
wellpastmybedtime
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Oh God!
Having a bad day today.

In a correlational study you do not have a cause and effect so you cannot have an IV and a DV. You can only have two variables - the two things you are looking for a LINK between ( a link is not a cause and effect - there may be some third unidentified factor bringing those tow together.).

Bottom line in a co relational analysis or investigation there will be no IV and no DV, just two identified variables.

That any use?
wellpastmybedtime
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You only have an IV and a DV in an experiment.
wellpastmybedtime
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Your EV's will still exist - thats any factor in the environment which you have not control over which might have an effect on the two variables you are studying.

When you write this up you identify your design as a correlation and thereby justify the use only of two variables.

You do n ot have an IV and a DV because your investigation is correlationals and does not allow one variable to be manipulated and the other to be measured. It lookd for a link not a cause and effect.

That is what you write uder justification. Your variables will be V1 and V2.

Your hypothesis will state something in the order of , there will be a significant correlation between ( if you are two tailed)
chazwomaq
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I diasgree that you can't have IVs and DVs in an observational study. I read these terms in papers all the time.

If you check wikipedia you'll see the primary definition does not depend on experiments and causality: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depend...dent_variables

For example, let's say you were looking at the correlation between plant growth and sunlight exposure in plants in an observational study. I would call plant mass the DV, and sunlight the IV, even though this is not an experiment. It's plausible that sunlight causes increased growth, but it's implausible that plant growth causes more sunlight. Of course, you must beware of confounds.

So to answer the OP, can you give us more details of your coursework to help us advise?
Kkays
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
We were taught that in correlational studies you have the predictor variable and the outcome variable which is equivalent to the IV and DV used in experimental studies.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (254)
34.14%
No (490)
65.86%

Watched Threads