When do I get my maintenance loan? How do I pay rent?

Watch
Lopemeaning
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
When do I receive my maintenance loan? If I move into accommodation before I get the loan how am I expected to pay for it? I’m worried I’ll have no money to pay rent if i don’t get my loan before I move in and I’m confused about the timeline/process. Please can someone explain?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Lopemeaning)
When do I receive my maintenance loan? If I move into accommodation before I get the loan how am I expected to pay for it? I’m worried I’ll have no money to pay rent if i don’t get my loan before I move in and I’m confused about the timeline/process. Please can someone explain?
SFE don't pay maintenance loans until your university has confirmed your attendance on the course.

It's up to you to negotiate with your landlord about how and when you pay rent. Most students have some savings or work and save over the summer to cover their first instalment (and/or put their savings into a student account to unlock an interest free overdraft to help cover the costs)
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hello Lopemeaning,

After your maintenance loan has been approved by Student Finance, you will usually receive three instalments of maintenance loan (September, January and April). University accommodation is mindful of this and you should get your loan before your expected to pay for your accommodation. I think when you get your approval of your amount expected from SFE you should check the breakdown of payments for your accommodation. If this is not covered then perhaps look into an interest free overdraft, or sometimes students have saved money for University.

I hope this makes sense, but if it doesn't please ask any further questions.

Gabrielle- University of Hull Rep
Chronoscope
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Adding onto the other comments:
My uni (I think this is similar for others too) has a window period (up until x deadline) for paying accommodation at the start of each term so you shouldn’t have to pay it immediately (some leeway usually) as long as you’ve paid the initial uni accom deposit and have enrolled at the uni for your course. Receiving the actual maintenance loan arrives pretty swiftly though.
Last edited by Chronoscope; 5 months ago
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hello Lopemeaning ,

This is a very good question, and was something on my mind before attending uni!

You'll have to apply for your student loan through student finance anytime from now to summer (but try get it sorted sooner rather than later). Then after you get your maintenance loan approved by Student Finance, you will usually receive three instalments of maintenance loan in September, January and April. You can check on your student finance account for the expected given dates for when you will be paid

You can always email your Student Housing Team who can provide some specific information for when they expect to have the payments through, but they are always very mindful about the delay student finance can sometimes have in paying etc. You also have a finance team at your university who will be open ears and professionals in this topic so can provide some specific guidance for you

Sam- Official Student Rep
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Please don’t wait until the summer to apply for your loans. The deadline to be guaranteed payment at the start of your course is 21 May. And that’s the date that you and your parents have to have sent in all your forms and evidence by.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (10)
13.33%
I need help researching courses (6)
8%
I need help with filling out the application form (4)
5.33%
I need help with my personal statement (31)
41.33%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (19)
25.33%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.67%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
4%

Watched Threads