sealgrue
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Heya,
My school keeps referencing guidance given to it by the SQA about how it should do assessments this year that I can't seem to find online. There are some issues with some assessments that me and some other students are trying to raise and get fixed with the school, so it would be useful to have something to base this on. Does anyone have a link to it? Or a copy of the document?
BlackLab
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
https://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/96760.html

This is probably the most detailed we have seen. There will be other information only available to teachers.

What is the issue and I can tell you what our school is doing to see if it is the same.
G_Quinn
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hiya, may I ask what qualifications are you taking?

Here’s a link for you!

https://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/71527.html

Hope this helps.
sealgrue
Rep:
?
(Original post by BlackLab)
https://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/96760.html

This is probably the most detailed we have seen. There will be other information only available to teachers.

What is the issue and I can tell you what our school is doing to see if it is the same.
Thanks, that's what we'd found earlier. Guess we're stuck without the info the people we are asking to change things have ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
There's just been a few issues with teachers framing tests as "final" and not consulting with other staff about when to conduct tests meaning there's been a lot of unnecessary stress put on us. And there's been wayyy less opportunities for practice this year for more practical assessments like drama, with the assessment being moved even earlier than in a normal year, which seems to go against the guidance on assessing for potential and when to assess etc.
BlackLab
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I don't think it will just be your school that is compressing everything, we are all the same.

We are having our main assessments over 2 weeks in early May. There isn't a timetable yet, but they have said they will try to make sure as few people as possible have two assessments on the same day. They will be sat in exam conditions in the main hall. Not in classrooms. The results of these assessments will be the main input to our grades.

We are having interim assessments as soon as we return after easter, several each day. In the letter we were given it says these will be in class to give a practice run before the main assessment and show areas we need to improve on, but these will only be a week or so before the main assessment so by the time they are marked and returned not much time to work on them. In exceptional circumstances the interim results could be used as evidence if something goes wrong with the main assessment.

I am not doing any practical subjects so don't have a problem with practical practice, but everyone is in the same situation so hopefully they have thought about how to make it as fair as possible. We have also been told the approaches being followed by our school have been agreed by all schools in our local authority level so you should hopefully find a similar approach in all your local schools to make it fair.
Last edited by BlackLab; 3 weeks ago
sealgrue
Rep:
?
Thanks for all the info, that's helpful. I'll check out some of the things you mentioned.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (136)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (409)
14.69%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (313)
11.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (390)
14.01%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (127)
4.56%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (170)
6.11%
Loneliness (242)
8.69%
Financial worries (100)
3.59%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (112)
4.02%
Exposure to negative news/social media (129)
4.63%
Lack of real life entertainment (148)
5.32%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (243)
8.73%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (265)
9.52%

Watched Threads