YGA19932
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi,

Anyone with experience with this assignment?

1.Briefly describe the approach a phenomenological researcher might take when researching this topic and state a suitable research question for a phenomenological inquiry into the topic. In order to answer this, describe some key aspects of the methodology they would need to research this topic (for example, the data source, the method of capturing this data and the analysis they would need to use to satisfy the research question you have stated). 500 words
2.A discursive researcher has designed a project to research this topic using ten focus groups of five participants in each group. The researcher will be looking at the interpretative repertoires, subject positions and ideological dilemmas interpreted from the focus group data. State a suitable research question for this researcher to base their focus group questions on, and briefly discuss the strengths and limitations of using the discursive approach to research this topic. 500 words

In Question 1 you are asked to consider the topic described in the question in terms of how a phenomenological researcher might approach it methodologically. To do this, you should review Weeks 9 and 11, including book Chapters 7 and 8. You have been asked to write a suitable research question a phenomenological researcher might use for this topic. This does not mean the actual questions an interviewer might ask people, but the wider question for which the method is trying to find an answer. So consider what the aim of a phenomenological research question might be. What are they looking for when they do research? You will find that book Chapter 8 will help you to consider this. The question should be quite general and express this research aim in the context of the topic given to you. It might be useful to remember that qualitative research questions (of which this would be one) are not expressed in terms of quantities (e.g., does one person have/display more of something than another?) or direct comparisons of groups. The first question also asks you to describe some of the key aspects of phenomenological methodology which would be used for this research. It might be helpful here to imagine you are going to conduct a small-scale phenomenological project using your research question. Would you use participants and, if so, from which age/social/gender (etc.) groups? How would you collect the data and analyse it? We don’t require a great deal of detail or explanation about this, but it would help to justify your decisions very briefly (e.g., why might you consider aspects of the Lifeworld in your analysis?). Writing clearly and concisely will be important.

Question 2 asks you to write a suitable research question (as you did with Question 1), but for a discursive psychology project on the topic. You are then asked to discuss the strengths and limitations of using a discursive approach to research this topic. Again, the research question you create needs to be a broad question addressing the aims of this discursive project; it is not asking you to come up with individual questions you would ask in the focus groups, rather it is the overall guiding research question, which will guide the overarching research and focus groups discussions. The discursive approach is discussed in Weeks 9, 12 and 13 of the module, and we think Chapters 7 and 9 of Book 1 should be particularly useful. In Chapter 9 you can read about how identity is the main focus of discursive psychological studies, and researchers are primarily interested in the construction of those identities through the way people talk and act. So how could this be expressed as a research question on the given topic? You are only required to state this research question, so you do not need to explain it. Instead, the majority of this answer should be on providing a brief discussion of the strengths and limitations of using discursive psychology to research this topic. In addition to Chapters 7 and 9, for a discussion on strengths and limitations, you may find the Book 1, Chapter 1, and Week 1 materials useful. While you do not need to include other methodological approaches in your answer to this question, thinking about the types of knowledge and data the different methods generate and the types of questions they can and cannot answer may help you to answer this question. When considering strengths or limitations, do make sure the point is in the context of this topic. For example, if I wished to make the point that discursive psychology helps us to examine how ideas are negotiated in real-life conversations, I could express this as being able to explore recreational drug-users’ attempts to make valid subject positions with the discourse available to them, something not available to other methods and approaches. Remember to address a few limitations as well as strengths.

Please write both answers as prose paragraphs, not lists. Include references in your text as you would for an essay and a reference list at the end of Part 1. You are not expected to source material from outside of the module to answer these questions. Also please state the word count at the end of Part 1. You have only 500 words for each answer of Part 1 (1000 words in total) so concise and clear writing will be important. The two questions of Part 1 are equally weighted for marks.

Part 1 is worth 90% of the marks for TMA 04, and the two questions are equally weighted.
GabiAbi84
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
PleAse be aware that the sharing of TMA details goes against OU policy.
If you have specific questions about what it is asking better to just ask them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
14.69%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.59%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
4.9%
I need help with my personal statement (58)
40.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (36)
25.17%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.1%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
6.99%

Watched Threads