Bright_Arm_2464
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hey all, This year I started my foundation course at a UK university. Unfortunately, I won't be continuing my studies at this university after the foundation course because I cannot afford to. I am an international student and things were looking quite good at the beginning, but covid and things have severely affected my guardian's finances and I simply don't think I can continue university here as it is very expensive.I know that foundations are mostly to continue at the same university but I wouldn't be able to afford it.My question is that, is it possible to apply to any other universities abroad with my foundation programme certificate? Any country which is cheaper or something like that. I will start some part-time jobs to help with income and save up (might take a gap year) so I can continue my studies.I have not done my Alevels as I chose to do a foundation year instead, so I'll only have GCSE's and a foundation certificate to my name. (I have good grades in my GCSE's and foundation so far)Tldr : can I apply anywhere else? Like some other countries in Europe where fees is lesser? Or any country for that matter which would prove to be cheaper for me to continue my studies.Please assist me with any information if you may have.
DevilsAdvocate_
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Complete your foundation year by asking for financial support from your current uni. See what they can do to help you get through the course. Once you’ve completed the course, it may be better to go home and apply to do a course that has online teaching. This will save you expense of living away from home, so your only paying for tuition fees. Honestly everything is now online even exams so it doesn’t matter where your studying from.
Bright_Arm_2464
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by DevilsAdvocate_)
Complete your foundation year by asking for financial support from your current uni. See what they can do to help you get through the course. Once you’ve completed the course, it may be better to go home and apply to do a course that has online teaching. This will save you expense of living away from home, so your only paying for tuition fees. Honestly everything is now online even exams so it doesn’t matter where your studying from.
I have, and with the current state of things - I'll be able to just complete the foundation year. It is still an exorbitant amount of tuition fees. Even if I go to my home country, I would have to pay a lot of tuition fees to continue my undergraduate course. That's why I'm looking to move to some other country to continue my studies, which could be cheaper to afford financially. Idk which country or uni's accept foundation programmes as a way to enter their undergrad program. Looking for any information I can get!
syralie01928
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Have you looked into scholarships? I'm not sure which country you're from but generally it is easier to get a scholarship from your home country (from your local university as a local student, from companies based in your home country, from your country's government/government agencies, from foundations in your country). Just a suggestion.

From what I understand, certain European countries such as Norway have free tuition fees even for foreigners and you'd just have to pay the miscellaneous fees. https://ec.europa.eu/education/study...ry-profiles_en.
Last edited by syralie01928; 1 week ago
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
In my experience in U.K. admissions, we would not consider a foundation year studied overseas.

As you’ve noted, foundation years are not universally accepted even within the same country, so elsewhere is likely to be even more case by case. That’s not to say that it is impossible, but you will need to approach some possible uni’s in your target country and see whether they would encourage you to apply or not.

Edit: I see from your previous thread that you’ve already contacted at least one Uni. Their reply suggests that they need to see both your modules and grades before advising further.
Last edited by Admit-One; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (74)
4.71%
Uncertainty around my education (239)
15.22%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (170)
10.83%
Lack of purpose or motivation (222)
14.14%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (70)
4.46%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (92)
5.86%
Loneliness (139)
8.85%
Financial worries (55)
3.5%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (71)
4.52%
Exposure to negative news/social media (76)
4.84%
Lack of real life entertainment (81)
5.16%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (136)
8.66%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (145)
9.24%

Watched Threads