Lj245
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Suggestions on how I should revise for open book exams. Some of my exams are mcq and short answers and I'll have 24 hours for that so I don't see what productive revision I can do for that.
My other exams, the lecturers have said the questions will be a lot more problem solving than before, but since the exams will be different to previously I don't have any past q's that are relevant. Any help appreciated

tynecoaster
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Lj245)
Suggestions on how I should revise for open book exams. Some of my exams are mcq and short answers and I'll have 24 hours for that so I don't see what productive revision I can do for that.
My other exams, the lecturers have said the questions will be a lot more problem solving than before, but since the exams will be different to previously I don't have any past q's that are relevant. Any help appreciated
Just try doing various past paper questions using your book(s) so will learn where to find the information and you will have practiced using it and working through the examples. We had an open book exam for one of my subjects at uni - heat transfer I think - which sounded good but the subject was so hard you couldn't do it even with the books in front of you (hence the reason why the lecturer let us so that at least we could write something on our papers!)
University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Lj245)
Hey Lj245

It’s really hard to prepare in advance for online exams as although we can revise all the information until we are confident that we know it, we don’t really know what we are going to be questioned on. Although my exams were open book, I still revised beforehand. I made notes on different topics that could come up from my online seminars and read these over until I had a good understanding of the subject. This also helped me to remember where the material was in my notes when I sat my exam.

One of my exams was usually a multiple choice and a couple of essay questions. The online version last semester was four essays with two compulsory ones and two optional out of four. It was a lot of work and that’s why we have two days to take the exam. I read all the questions, picked the ones I wanted to answer, wrote them out on paper and then typed them up after. This took a lot of time and I adjusted the way I worked for my second online exam the week after. We were allowed to use track changes and I felt more confident typing out the exam rather than writing it all out beforehand.

Have you spoken to any of your lecturers to give you guidance for your exams? I would email them and perhaps you could have a quick zoom call with them to discuss your concerns.

Good luck

Melissa- Student Ambassador
rp498
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador)
Hey Lj245

It’s really hard to prepare in advance for online exams as although we can revise all the information until we are confident that we know it, we don’t really know what we are going to be questioned on. Although my exams were open book, I still revised beforehand. I made notes on different topics that could come up from my online seminars and read these over until I had a good understanding of the subject. This also helped me to remember where the material was in my notes when I sat my exam.

One of my exams was usually a multiple choice and a couple of essay questions. The online version last semester was four essays with two compulsory ones and two optional out of four. It was a lot of work and that’s why we have two days to take the exam. I read all the questions, picked the ones I wanted to answer, wrote them out on paper and then typed them up after. This took a lot of time and I adjusted the way I worked for my second online exam the week after. We were allowed to use track changes and I felt more confident typing out the exam rather than writing it all out beforehand.

Have you spoken to any of your lecturers to give you guidance for your exams? I would email them and perhaps you could have a quick zoom call with them to discuss your concerns.

Good luck

Melissa- Student Ambassador
hmm
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (80)
42.78%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (32)
17.11%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (72)
38.5%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (3)
1.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed