im soo stresseddd, gcse historyy help

Watch this thread
og-icon
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
This questions is to anyone who got a grade 8 or 9 in GCSE History!

Hello, I am in Year 9 and have chosen GCSE History, I need you to recommend the best book for GCSE History, do mention if certain book are useless or a waste of time
Topics: AQA

Paper 1: Understanding the Modern World
- America: Oppurtunity and Inequality: 1920-1973
-Conflict and tension: Interwar Years: 1919-1939

Paper 2: Shaping the Nation
-Health and the people: 1000 to the present day
-Elizabethan England: 1568-1603

So this is what we are going to learn about

I have heard that the GCSE History CGP guide is not good
Can you guys tell me what revision guides you lot got and found useful and which ones you did not really like.

Also I want to do good in History GCSE, any tips/ tricks would be really appreciated

Oh and also I would like to say Thank you if you are reading this, appreciate it!
reenie8723
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Heya,
I do GCSE History and I’m in Year 10 personally for me I find the CGP Revision Guides absolutely fantastic it is just perfect and it helps me give perfect analysis on the sources and the practice questions really help give me an insight on the types of questions, I also have the revision notes history AQA book and that is good as well. I would recommend that you ask what textbook you will be using for GCSE and either buying it or finding the revision book for it. For tips, flash cards is your god as it all about active recall and PRACTICE PRACTICE these tips have all helped me achieve 9s in every history test I’ve done this year hope it helps <3
panicatthetardis
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by og-icon)
This questions is to anyone who got a grade 8 or 9 in GCSE History!

Hello, I am in Year 9 and have chosen GCSE History, I need you to recommend the best book for GCSE History, do mention if certain book are useless or a waste of time
Topics: AQA

Paper 1: Understanding the Modern World
- America: Oppurtunity and Inequality: 1920-1973
-Conflict and tension: Interwar Years: 1919-1939

Paper 2: Shaping the Nation
-Health and the people: 1000 to the present day
-Elizabethan England: 1568-1603

So this is what we are going to learn about

I have heard that the GCSE History CGP guide is not good
Can you guys tell me what revision guides you lot got and found useful and which ones you did not really like.

Also I want to do good in History GCSE, any tips/ tricks would be really appreciated

Oh and also I would like to say Thank you if you are reading this, appreciate it!
I'm doing ocr history and am in Year 11 but I reckon the principles are similar, so I really recommend practicing exam-style questions as much as possible because the way you answer the question is as important, if not more important than your knowledge. My history teacher hadn't done this very much and had a basic overview of answering each question which they told us which I really hate, because questions such as source questions are often really weirdly worded, and having a set answer structure is sO much more helpful.
Secondly you'll probably be overwhelmed with dates BUT don't panic! If you can't remember an exact date (unless it's a very important one such as the 1875 public health act), it's ok to basically paraphrase them like 'in the late 1750's' for example, and as far as I'm aware it's also unlikely you get marks taken off for one wrong date.
I haven't used a revision guide at all for my revision (but I'm still working at a grade 8/9 level) instead I basically took the textbook and created huge timelines for each topic (this really helps to get rid of any ordering issues because the stupid textbooks often don't do things in chronological order) and also do a lot of past paper questions in my own time. Seneca is really good as well (but for me they did not have all the OCR topics) for knowledge learning too. I also advise trying to make things seem as interesting and somewhat stupid which can help remembering them- for example to remember who had major impact on public health during the industrial era we have the saying 'acts, facts, taps and crps' to refer to Chadwick, Pasteur, Snow and Bazelgette, and it's much easier to remember.
I hope this helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (37)
25.87%
As I expected (46)
32.17%
Harder (53)
37.06%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.9%

Watched Threads