The Student Room Group

How do so many people make friends just like that.

Hi,
For a period of say a month or so, I've been feeling very lonely, like I have no friends. I see on all these peoples story's on Instagram or Snapchat of them going out with mates, and often it's 4-5 people in a group. Also, people are saying after lockdown they are going to go bowling, cinema, house parties with their friends but I've never had that and I don't think I ever will.
I do talk to people, but I wouldn't really class them as friends. I have to admit, I'd say I'm more introverted than extroverted, but I would find some fun to have things to look forward to, and especially have friends that are really close.
How do people make these friends and become close to them?
If you have money, go clubbing or drink booze at a bar or house, then making friends is easy.
Original post by Black Matter
If you have money, go clubbing or drink booze at a bar or house, then making friends is easy.

I don't like clubbing and I don't drink so that's gone for me :frown:
Original post by Anonymous19272
I don't like clubbing and I don't drink so that's gone for me :frown:

Making friends is hard then. Just accept being alone.

Or change your lifestyle and go clubbing or drink alcohol which is essential for most social life.
Making friends is hard then. Just accept being alone.

Or change your lifestyle and go clubbing or drink alcohol which is essential for most social life.

Does clubbing involve drinking?
Does clubbing involve drinking?

Yeah usually loud music and drinking alcohol like vodka or wine or beer. Sometimes sexual. I don't drink or party. I am quiet. I like sex though.
Hi,
For a period of say a month or so, I've been feeling very lonely, like I have no friends. I see on all these peoples story's on Instagram or Snapchat of them going out with mates, and often it's 4-5 people in a group. Also, people are saying after lockdown they are going to go bowling, cinema, house parties with their friends but I've never had that and I don't think I ever will.
I do talk to people, but I wouldn't really class them as friends. I have to admit, I'd say I'm more introverted than extroverted, but I would find some fun to have things to look forward to, and especially have friends that are really close.

I'm sure you could make friends with someone - try not to just jump into friendship groups though it makes you seem off and less people will like you
Original post by QueenKagami
I'm sure you could make friends with someone - try not to just jump into friendship groups though it makes you seem off and less people will like you

Making friends is impossible. Need to be a uni student first. And then unless you partying or drink a lot of alcohol or go nightclub or pub. Yeah and you need a boyfriend or girlfriend or else you'll get bullied and called a prude or a virgin.
Original post by QueenKagami

Oh, that makes sense, thank you. How could I meet new people and make friends which I become really close to. Is it mostly just trial and fail?

Making friends is impossible. Need to be a uni student first. And then unless you partying or drink a lot of alcohol or go nightclub or pub. Yeah and you need a boyfriend or girlfriend or else you'll get bullied and called a prude or a virgin.

I'm not sure you're giving the best advice. I don't think people get bullied for not having a bf/gf. I'm sure 40-60% of the population don't have a bf/gf. I think that will be later when I'm 25 or so. I just want to make friends who I'll become really close to and can go out and have fun with. Not become wasted- sorry but that's just not me. I prefer the cinema/barbecue/bowling.
Oh, that makes sense, thank you. How could I meet new people and make friends which I become really close to. Is it mostly just trial and fail?

I'm not sure you're giving the best advice. I don't think people get bullied for not having a bf/gf. I'm sure 40-60% of the population don't have a bf/gf. I think that will be later when I'm 25 or so. I just want to make friends who I'll become really close to and can go out and have fun with. Not become wasted- sorry but that's just not me. I prefer the cinema/barbecue/bowling.

My advice is good. I can tell you how to make friends, go out and get drunk and party in a nightclub or with friends house or pub.

Most people have a boyfriend or girlfriend apart from virgins or prudes.
Reply 10
Hi,

Hey there,
First of all, it's safe to say that I'm an introvert myself, but do enjoy the casual outing with my friends (only have 3 by the way)

To answer your first question, about how people make friends so quick, on a serious note, it's primarily due to them being a bit more extrovert, and don't really acre about awaking the bad first impression, as long as they meet people like them, which are many. That's doesn't mean that being introvert is bad, it comes with many qualities.

I for one worked on my social communication skills a bit more. People tend to ask you for help and advice when you speak up for them quite often, and I for one have been a reference for quite a few classmates and schoolmates, from many ages. Helping others really builds a good bond, but be careful not to give them too much space as they might benedit from you. Being a good person, talkative at the right times, and a discussion opener gives more info about you to others, which might help them know you better, thus deciding if they'd like to talk to you and get to know you.

This has worked for me very well😂

If you have any specific questions I'm open to help as long as I'm online, I'm new to this site but it looks so fun and is very beneficial.

Have a good one!
My advice is good. I can tell you how to make friends, go out and get drunk and party in a nightclub or with friends house or pub.

Most people have a boyfriend or girlfriend apart from virgins or prudes.

Your advice isn’t good. You’re saying that you can only make friends clubbing or drinking, which couldn’t be further from wrong. It can make it easier to make friends but it isn’t impossible. Muslims exist, you know. And they seem to be making friends. I have made friends and I don’t do either
Original post by Alan Y
Hey there,
First of all, it's safe to say that I'm an introvert myself, but do enjoy the casual outing with my friends (only have 3 by the way)

To answer your first question, about how people make friends so quick, on a serious note, it's primarily due to them being a bit more extrovert, and don't really acre about awaking the bad first impression, as long as they meet people like them, which are many. That's doesn't mean that being introvert is bad, it comes with many qualities.

I for one worked on my social communication skills a bit more. People tend to ask you for help and advice when you speak up for them quite often, and I for one have been a reference for quite a few classmates and schoolmates, from many ages. Helping others really builds a good bond, but be careful not to give them too much space as they might benedit from you. Being a good person, talkative at the right times, and a discussion opener gives more info about you to others, which might help them know you better, thus deciding if they'd like to talk to you and get to know you.

This has worked for me very well😂

If you have any specific questions I'm open to help as long as I'm online, I'm new to this site but it looks so fun and is very beneficial.

Have a good one!

Thank you! This has been very helpful!
When it comes to inviting friends out, who normally takes the first step? What would you do if a friend doesn't invite you out?
I have also went out with some friends some days, but normally it has to be me who has to take the first step and ask. Same with starting conversations on texts. Does this mean these friends are not really someone I should be close to because I always have to take the first step? Finally, is it okay to have awkward silences; is this normal, because I always feel like I should fill in the silence by talking because whenever I see other people on the street talking to their friends, there is never silence, always smiling and making jokes?
Once again, thank you for your help

Original post by Moonlight rain
Your advice isn’t good. You’re saying that you can only make friends clubbing or drinking, which couldn’t be further from wrong. It can make it easier to make friends but it isn’t impossible. Muslims exist, you know. And they seem to be making friends. I have made friends and I don’t do either

That's very encouraging. Thanks for your input.
Original post by Moonlight rain

Some Muslims drink alcohol and go clubbing too, did you know? So do not stereotype minorities.

As for friends, I think someone who does not drink alcohol, party or go clubbing will have a difficult time. Not impossible but very difficult. They should maybe try sports or health conscious friends or the gym as they may be more into fitness and sports and some may not drink or party regularly.
Hi,

a lot of what you see on stories is fake. Don't compare yourself to other people, seriously.
Get a new hobby, attend clubs (not the type where you go clubbing lol), talk to more people in class etc.
And just be a genuinely nice person who helps people out, and don't expect anything in return. But don't let people walk over you.

:smile: <3
Reply 15
Thank you! This has been very helpful!
When it comes to inviting friends out, who normally takes the first step? What would you do if a friend doesn't invite you out?
I have also went out with some friends some days, but normally it has to be me who has to take the first step and ask. Same with starting conversations on texts. Does this mean these friends are not really someone I should be close to because I always have to take the first step? Finally, is it okay to have awkward silences; is this normal, because I always feel like I should fill in the silence by talking because whenever I see other people on the street talking to their friends, there is never silence, always smiling and making jokes?
Once again, thank you for your help

That's very encouraging. Thanks for your input.

No problem!
When we come to invite each other, there's no specific person. I mean that, if you're in a group of friends which really ARE close, there is no specific person in this group that makes the invites. But there will always be that person who is more keen on going out, that type of personality. It's nice when, once in a while, you take the role of inviting everyone. I used to always be invited to birthday parties, to the cinema, to a football match, with friends, and I felt wrong that I wasn't returning the appreciation. So when I did, I invited everyone to my birthdayday, and they all admit, it wa stye most fun ever! So we have to take these quick and fun decisions into consideration, as our chances are few, we never know what might happen (for instdafnce, the coronavirus pandemic 🙄).
If you feel that these friends are a bit distant, and you feel that you always wait for them to invite you on special occasions, and not much more friendlier, then they might not be the best catch for you. But you have to know that there are many different types of friends, some prefer to go out, some prefer general chats, and some are really the both, id's up to you to find those mates. (I'm my group of friends, A likes to go out a lot, and always invites, but most of the time we can't make it. With B, we never chat together by messages, but we are classmates, and we spend 100% of out time together outside home. C is my text mate, as we got to know each other distantly, but we are both in the school band, and have good chemistry. So here you can realise that not all friends are the same, bit we all ate close in the end.)

About awkward silences, that just means that you need to get to know each other more. The chats and laughs we have on while together are about the topics that link us as a group, and that we have followed since we gained interest from each other. So the best tip that I can give you to get to know them better, silence is not bad, but it's a sign that there are still a bit more obstacles and questions to ask in order to build that mutual chemistry between you all.

Hope this helps, I'll be going to sleep now. I'll be absent until next morning 😂😂
Reply 16

Bad advice.
At uni it’s just the right time and place imo, I’m introverted affff. But in my first yr, this flatmate wouldn’t stop talking and always talked to me. Then we just became close friends. We went to new societies together and made more friends and just built on that tbh. So maybe try joining more societies? Then get closer and u guys will automatically plan trips when ur bored (This is if ur in uni, idk how old u are)

I don’t drink either, but I tried going clubbing once and it was a disaster lmao
Some people are just likeable, dunno what it is.

Quick Reply

Latest