The Student Room Group

neuropsychologist vs neuroscience ?

What is difference between neuropsychologist and neuroscientist. Salary difference ? Which one is better and why ?
Reply 1
Original post by Elenngilbrt
What is difference between neuropsychologist and neuroscientist. Salary difference ? Which one is better and why ?

Neuropsychology is a branch of psychology whereas neuroscience is just straight up a separate science. It would vary when you choose your uni course as since neuropsychology is a branch of psychology, it’s going to have much more psychology components. I think the salary depends on how experienced you are, where you work etc.

To practice as a psychologist you’re gonna have to get a DClinPsy and most neuroscientists get a PhD or at least a Masters too so neither is better in terms of how much time you have to spend in education. I think it also depends on more specific things that you prefer to do to decide which is better. With neuroscience you can go into research, become a professor, get a job in AI or do something completely different that requires knowledge about the brain. With neuropsychology you could become a neuropsychologist or if you changed your mind before doing your doctorate you could go into a different branch of psychology.

Both are competitive though, especially psychology which a lot of people choose to do at uni even if they don’t have the intentions to become a psychologist after graduating. Hope this helps!
Original post by mi.len
Neuropsychology is a branch of psychology whereas neuroscience is just straight up a separate science. It would vary when you choose your uni course as since neuropsychology is a branch of psychology, it’s going to have much more psychology components. I think the salary depends on how experienced you are, where you work etc.

To practice as a psychologist you’re gonna have to get a DClinPsy and most neuroscientists get a PhD or at least a Masters too so neither is better in terms of how much time you have to spend in education. I think it also depends on more specific things that you prefer to do to decide which is better. With neuroscience you can go into research, become a professor, get a job in AI or do something completely different that requires knowledge about the brain. With neuropsychology you could become a neuropsychologist or if you changed your mind before doing your doctorate you could go into a different branch of psychology.

Both are competitive though, especially psychology which a lot of people choose to do at uni even if they don’t have the intentions to become a psychologist after graduating. Hope this helps!

That's very informative thank you. I am studying Neuroscience now and I was thinking to do a masters degree. I found out I can do phycology masters and then PhD to become a neuropsychologist. I was just trying to make sure I will get a job at the of studying all of these degrees. I don't want to waste lots of years studying and then not getting a job.
Reply 3
That's very informative thank you. I am studying Neuroscience now and I was thinking to do a masters degree. I found out I can do phycology masters and then PhD to become a neuropsychologist. I was just trying to make sure I will get a job at the of studying all of these degrees. I don't want to waste lots of years studying and then not getting a job.

No problem! I think the only part that would be difficult is getting into a Masters or doctorate over actually finding a job as they are more competitive. But once you’re in I think it’s pretty smooth sailing if you know what you’re looking for.

Hi! I am starting a neuroscience BSc degree this september and was just wondering how you're finding your degree now? I'm really worried I wont enjoy it or it won't be anything near what i'm expecting. :// Hope your studies are going well :smile:
Original post by shirel.barda
Hi! I am starting a neuroscience BSc degree this september and was just wondering how you're finding your degree now? I'm really worried I wont enjoy it or it won't be anything near what i'm expecting. :// Hope your studies are going well :smile:

Thanks for your kind words. I really enjoy Neuroscience I think it is better than Biomedical science or any other science-related degrees. You will get lots of different jobs with this degree. During your studies, there will be times that you will think about why you did not choose other degrees, but in the end, I am sure you will love it. If you like learning about the brain and brain-related diseases also neurological diseases you will enjoy your degree a lot. Work hard and do your best. Good luck!
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending