made no friends and my first year of uni is over soon

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I didn't make any friends this university year as a fresher, I know im probably undesirable and annoying to be friends with but I thought uni was gonna be fun and the only people I've actually met are my flatmates that I don't talk to.
BeccaSX_x
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Covid will have made it harder! Join clubs & societies and try and make friends beyond your flat mates. Just because you don’t click with them doesn’t mean others don’t wanna be friends with you x
LillyLS
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I didn't make any friends this university year as a fresher, I know im probably undesirable and annoying to be friends with but I thought uni was gonna be fun and the only people I've actually met are my flatmates that I don't talk to.
u sound quite a shy person...
if ur very shy...then maybe start coming out of ur shell a bit x
go up 2 a few people, and just say hi and say ur name, and just start up a conversation x
or jst find a person who is in like any of ur classes or something and see if they have the same interests as u x
hope this helped
LillyLS
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by BeccaSX_x)
Covid will have made it harder! Join clubs & societies and try and make friends beyond your flat mates. Just because you don’t click with them doesn’t mean others don’t wanna be friends with you x
i totally agree!! x
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
Why dont you talk to your flatmates?
throwaway456444
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It is normal not to make any friends in first year, particularly now. It'll probably be better by third year.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by BeccaSX_x)
I joined societies but it's super awkward, we're just on zoom and I'm stuck in my home country rn
Anonymous #1
Why dont you talk to your flatmates?
we're very cordial, it's just like a hello how are you and we only see each other in the kitchen to make food and immediately leave after
username5604436
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
we're very cordial, it's just like a hello how are you and we only see each other in the kitchen to make food and immediately leave after
Why not suggest watching a movie or sth if you have a living room?
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
Why dont you message them? You have to try and make some effort.
username5604436
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
PRSOM - who are u lol
picklejuice2001
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
girl same. I'm always going to places by myself, then back to my tiny box room and eat dinner (always pasta or noodles) then sleep. Life feels so empty at the moment. I hate it so much

what uni do you go to?
Anonymous #1
I never text anyone it gives me so much anxiety and I just don't want to bother them
EconomicsStud3nt
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It’s quite common to have not made friends in the first year in my opinion. I’m second year and I don’t have anyone other than acquaintances but then I’ve commuted the first two years.

Next year I’ll move to campus and maybe that’ll change things for me.

I hope things get better for you. Uni is stressful enough as it is. But when you’re (well I am at least) the non social type it is very difficult.
TJ1997
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by EconomicsStud3nt)
It’s quite common to have not made friends in the first year in my opinion. I’m second year and I don’t have anyone other than acquaintances but then I’ve commuted the first two years.

Next year I’ll move to campus and maybe that’ll change things for me.

I hope things get better for you. Uni is stressful enough as it is. But when you’re (well I am at least) the non social type it is very difficult.
Agreed, for introverts it’s definitely harder and first year is definitely full of people vying to be friends with you; usually they are just another face or a superficial acquaintance that you might bump into sometimes on campus by the end of the year.

Campus life is good but I find after the first term of second year is over, most people have formed their own bubble, have their own house shares and will barely venture outside these (unless for societies or maybe course related stuff). Societies are your best bet but can be hit and miss sometimes if you share the same interests but don’t actually connect on a human level (banter, personalities, etc).

Uni is defo not always the ‘time of your life’ as seems to be the long held claim, but you just have to keep going and focus on that degree. It gets harder after uni for friendships, but it’s not impossible so hope shouldn’t fade away..
Anonymous #3
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by TJ1997)
Agreed, for introverts it’s definitely harder and first year is definitely full of people vying to be friends with you; usually they are just another face or a superficial acquaintance that you might bump into sometimes on campus by the end of the year.

Campus life is good but I find after the first term of second year is over, most people have formed their own bubble, have their own house shares and will barely venture outside these (unless for societies or maybe course related stuff). Societies are your best bet but can be hit and miss sometimes if you share the same interests but don’t actually connect on a human level (banter, personalities, etc).

Uni is defo not always the ‘time of your life’ as seems to be the long held claim, but you just have to keep going and focus on that degree. It gets harder after uni for friendships, but it’s not impossible so hope shouldn’t fade away..
How is it harder after uni to make friends? I’ve found it really difficult with the pandemic and I’m going into my third year in September so now I’m really worried. I only have a couple of friends at my uni
EconomicsStud3nt
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by TJ1997)

Yeah, it’s difficult. I have given myself a tough ask. I’m just going with the expectation that you never know what can happen.

At the end of the day, being unsocial is just my personality. So it doesn’t matter if I live here or there. I’m only moving so that I have a place to study and can attend lectures more regularly.

Thanks for the advice. And the encouragement.
axolottis
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I get exactly what u mean, I’m a first year too and I’ve found it rlly hard making friends especially when my flatmates seem to decline every offer made by me to hang out in the kitchen and chat/watch a movie etc . Sadly I’ve reached out to people in flats near mine and on all the 3 occasions, they ended up ghosting me after a few times of doing things in person . The social zooms of societies that i joined in term 1 and term 2 have all been very awkward with only a few people talking and as different people come into the socials every time it’s held, it’s very hard to even make acquaintances. This ended up in me being very depressed in term 1 and only leaving my room to go and make food in the kitchen or go to the loo rip :|
scrollandquills
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 minutes ago
in the same boat, you're not alone
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (102)
5.18%
Uncertainty around my education (295)
14.98%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (208)
10.56%
Lack of purpose or motivation (276)
14.02%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (86)
4.37%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (112)
5.69%
Loneliness (172)
8.74%
Financial worries (70)
3.56%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (86)
4.37%
Exposure to negative news/social media (92)
4.67%
Lack of real life entertainment (108)
5.49%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (175)
8.89%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (187)
9.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed