cdclements
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Peperawrni)
Just an input to people who want to live in Notts in first year for the nightlife or whatever. You're not going to have all the time in the world to enjoy the night life (especially if things don't actually reopen as they were before come September) and having to trek back home after a long day of face-to-face teaching may get old fast, especially if for whatever reason you end up missing the last hopper bus. I was a GEM1 in 2019 so I got a bit of normal GEM and also covid GEM so experienced the 'best' of both worlds. Nobody knows what things will be like in September. It could all go tits up again and you end up with 90% online learning again. But if it does end up becoming mostly face-to-face, I would definitely look at the bigger picture of things in terms of genuine convenience. Derby isn't the nicest of places to live and Notts is great, but realistically commuting just for the sights and night life would, for me personally, have got old really fast. This is even more true if where you end up living isn't directly on the hopper bus route. It's nice to just be able to walk/get a quick bus home, especially if you then have a load of work to do in the evening. Keep in mind that in CP1, CP2, CP3 and even GEM2, Notts will always be there as an option as somewhere to live. But for your first year, maybe try not to make things trickier than they need to be. You can always go to Notts in the evenings to enjoy the nightlife/ get the hopper bus for free for daytime activities, and the Red Arrow runs 24/7.

Just my two cents and of course it really depends on what transport you have access to. If you have a car/a reliable lift, then it will probably be a lot easier for you
Even though I don't know the area, I was thinking of something similar. It would be easier to travel to Nottingham once or twice a week for sports or social, rather than travelling to Derby every day of the week in my mind. Plus it seems cheaper in Derby😂 Would be interested in finding some students who would prefer to live in Derby.
auburnstar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by cdclements)
Even though I don't know the area, I was thinking of something similar. It would be easier to travel to Nottingham once or twice a week for sports or social, rather than travelling to Derby every day of the week in my mind. Plus it seems cheaper in Derby😂 Would be interested in finding some students who would prefer to live in Derby.
*waves* Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but in years 2-4 travel to placements can be refunded by NHS but travel to the med school in Derby where the bulk of GEM non-placement teaching happens would not be. And walking/cycling/scootering is free.

Also although Notts is bigger and generally nicer than Derby, there are some nice/generally acceptable places in Derby tbh and it's cheaper. Just avoid the um, derelict ?future ice rink eyesore.
Last edited by auburnstar; 3 weeks ago
tinglybananaman
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm not completely opposed to living in derby (for the first year anyway) I would just prefer Notts and commuting daily isnt really to much of an issue. I'd have to visit Derby to make my mind up completely but people saying on this forum that it's not a particularly nice place to live makes me want to live elsewhere 😂😂
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Haha guys Derby really isn't that bad... Nottingham has some shady areas too (it wasn't nicknamed Shottingham, a few years ago, without a reason).

Plus, IMO, Royal Derby Hospital is better than all the hospitals in Nottingham (bias alert!). You'd enjoy it there.
Last edited by ecolier; 3 weeks ago
Peperawrni
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by tinglybananaman)
I'm not completely opposed to living in derby (for the first year anyway) I would just prefer Notts and commuting daily isnt really to much of an issue. I'd have to visit Derby to make my mind up completely but people saying on this forum that it's not a particularly nice place to live makes me want to live elsewhere 😂😂
I mean if you compare it to Nottingham, most would consider it the lesser city. But there are lovely parks, the surrounding countryside is beautiful, and (in pre-covid times) there are things to do, especially if you don't actually have much free time. It's just the City Centre which is a bit on the ugly side and of course there are dodgier areas like all cities have. As a place to live, it's not bad at all if the house/flat you life in is actually nice (there are a lot of houses up for rent, make sure you visit before you sign). Just keep in mind that Derby is a university city, not a Peak District village :lol:
Peperawrni
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Plus, IMO, Royal Derby Hospital is better than all the hospitals in Nottingham (bias alert!). You'd enjoy it there.
Tbf though, the amount of time spent in any part of RDH that isn't the medical school during GEM1 or GEM2 is 0%, unless you include walking through it or going to the staff canteen for lunch :lol:
Last edited by Peperawrni; 3 weeks ago
ecolier
Rep:
?
Tbf though, the amount of time spent in any part of RDH that isn't the medical school during GEM1 or GEM2 is 0%, unless you include walking through it or going to the staff canteen for lunch :lol:
As in, the top floor restaurant with the panoramic (floor to ceiling) view of the lovely Uttoxeter Road roundabout? Lovely.

Make sure you use the Students' Mess though (next to the Doctors' one), it's probably one of the only hospitals with a dedicated room just for med students!

Compare that to the depressing mess that's QMC's restaurant :puke:
Chelsea2018
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
As in, the top floor restaurant with the panoramic (floor to ceiling) view of the lovely Uttoxeter Road roundabout? Lovely.

Make sure you use the Students' Mess though (next to the Doctors' one), it's probably one of the only hospitals with a dedicated room just for med students!

Compare that to the depressing mess that's QMC's restaurant :puke:
By any chance do you live in Derby or work there as you know a lot about Derby,thanks for defending the area. Derby is a really nice place especially around the royal derby hospital.It is a lovely place, I would say pretty similar to Nottingham.
Last edited by Chelsea2018; 3 weeks ago
ecolier
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chelsea2018)
By any chance do you live in Derby or work there as you know a lot about Derby. Derby is a really nice place especially around the royal derby hospital..
Yes, I did both.

It is a lovely place, I would say pretty similar to Nottingham
I agree!

I would think that having lived in both Derby and Nottingham, worked in RDH, QMC and Nottingham City and also taught at Nottingham med school (Nottingham and Derby) I would be able to help
auburnstar
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Haha guys Derby really isn't that bad... Nottingham has some shady areas too (it wasn't nicknamed Shottingham, a few years ago, without a reason).

Anywhere that's not Birmingham I'm happy 😂 I live in the North East atm but for some reason whenever I've travelled thru Brum it's been grey depressing skies 😂 Coventry's nice though lmao.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by auburnstar)
Anywhere that's not Birmingham I'm happy 😂
:rofl: Actually, RDH is very close to a slip road which takes you onto the A38.

Plenty of Derby consultants I know actually live to the south west of Derby (including Burton) for this reason.

I live in the North East atm but for some reason whenever I've travelled thru Brum it's been grey depressing skies 😂 Coventry's nice though lmao.
Haha :lol:
auburnstar
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
:rofl: Actually, RDH is very close to a slip road which takes you onto the A38.

Plenty of Derby consultants I know actually live to the south west of Derby (including Burton) for this reason.
This is also why there's a lot of warehouses there, according to Google anyway. :lol:
Out of sheer curiosity, did you go to Nottingham and what made you stay there for further training/teaching? I know it's common generally to stay on where you went to uni for Foundation (having built relationships, familiarity, knowing the hospitals well etc) but just wondered if there was anything that was particularly nice that made you stay on?
ulyseessgrant
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi Everyone! Congrats to everyone who got an offer. I was wondering is it common for first years to get together and find accommodation near the hospital in Derby. My family live in the NG9 area but I'm not sure if it would easy to commute in often given the distance and that I don't have a car. Any advice would be helpful.
auburnstar
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ulyseessgrant)
Hi Everyone! Congrats to everyone who got an offer. I was wondering is it common for first years to get together and find accommodation near the hospital in Derby. My family live in the NG9 area but I'm not sure if it would easy to commute in often given the distance and that I don't have a car. Any advice would be helpful.
From what I've read it's very common, if anything probably what most people opt to do, other than halls in Derby. It's cheaper than Nottingham and the proximity is very handy.

Do you guys have any suggestions as to what I should do with my many folders worth of GAMSAT revision? :lol: I'm thinking of keeping some of the bioscience/biochem related notes but chucking the rest.
Last edited by auburnstar; 2 weeks ago
ecolier
Rep:
?
This is also why there's a lot of warehouses there, according to Google anyway. :lol:
Out of sheer curiosity, did you go to Nottingham and what made you stay there for further training/teaching?
My family home is in Derby!

And my rotations took me to Nottingham.

I know it's common generally to stay on where you went to uni for Foundation (having built relationships, familiarity, knowing the hospitals well etc) but just wondered if there was anything that was particularly nice that made you stay on?
Nope, Foundation Training and Core Medical Training both in the Trent region!
Peperawrni
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Do you guys have any suggestions as to what I should do with my many folders worth of GAMSAT revision? :lol: I'm thinking of keeping some of the bioscience/biochem related notes but chucking the rest.
Celebrate your offer by having a bonfire and use your GAMSAT notes as kindling. You won't need them and even if you need a refreshment on knowledge, you have the whole internet to help you!
Ahsix
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Quite nervous about meeting people & friends as I feel like I’d be one of the older members of the course what sort of backgrounds has everyone come from in terms of uni?
auburnstar
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Celebrate your offer by having a bonfire and use your GAMSAT notes as kindling. You won't need them and even if you need a refreshment on knowledge, you have the whole internet to help you!
Excellent. And to be fair, they are mostly derived from Khan Academy (thank u Sal for single handedly getting through re-learning the basic sciences from scratch for free!).

ecolier That sounds like it was a fun journey! Thats cool that you were able to be close regionally to family ☺️

Ahsix I did a BA Hons in Music at Durham, graduated last year. I enjoyed the degree but realised I definitely didn't want to do it as a career, and I really enjoyed part time HCA'ing. I'm currently 22 so am very much on the young side for GEM! I live in the North East atm and work in public health.
Last edited by auburnstar; 2 weeks ago
ecolier
Rep:
?
....ecolier That sounds like it was a fun journey! Thats cool that you were able to be close regionally to family ☺️
Not for specialty training though :cry:

Serves me right for picking a niche specialty with only a handful of posts in each region. The year I applied, East Midlands Deanery had only 1 or 2 neurology specialty traning posts.

But yes, (everyone in this thread too) do feel free to ask me about working / living in the region. I didn't study at Nottingham / Derby though so can't help with that.
Last edited by ecolier; 2 weeks ago
auburnstar
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Not for specialty training though :cry:

Serves me right for picking a niche specialty with only a handful of posts in each region. The year I applied, East Midlands Deanery had only 1 or 2 neurology specialty traning posts.

But yes, (everyone in this thread too) do feel free to ask me about working / living in the region. I didn't study at Nottingham / Derby though so can't help with that.
Is there anything about living/working in Derby/Notts that we should know before we arrive? Any insider tips ? 😂
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (197)
5.05%
Uncertainty around my education (564)
14.47%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (439)
11.26%
Lack of purpose or motivation (537)
13.78%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (193)
4.95%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (233)
5.98%
Loneliness (329)
8.44%
Financial worries (143)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (153)
3.93%
Exposure to negative news/social media (175)
4.49%
Lack of real life entertainment (219)
5.62%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (350)
8.98%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (366)
9.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed