Sandtrooper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I've been doing a lot of career soul searching recently, and I've come to realise that I'd really like to become an admissions tutor or student recruitment officer. I'm hugely passionate about making higher education more accessible, and this feels like the best role to do it in.

I've had two years of experience in the higher education sector, although not in admissions, and although I've signed a two year contract to teach at a US university next year, I will have the summers and holidays free, so am hoping to ask if I can volunteer in their offices to learn about international student recruitment, so I can add that to my profile.

On top of that, I've also volunteered on here for five years, so I have a lot of knowledge about UCAS and various university courses.

Is this enough? Is there any other work experience I would need to get to add to my profile?
Jonathanツ
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I don't know but I reckon you would be a damn good admissions tutor
Sandtrooper
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jonathanツ)
I don't know but I reckon you would be a damn good admissions tutor
Aaw, thanks man, that means a lot.
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
PQ any advice for someone who wants to work in admissions?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Sandtrooper)
I've been doing a lot of career soul searching recently, and I've come to realise that I'd really like to become an admissions tutor or student recruitment officer. I'm hugely passionate about making higher education more accessible, and this feels like the best role to do it in.

I've had two years of experience in the higher education sector, although not in admissions, and although I've signed a two year contract to teach at a US university next year, I will have the summers and holidays free, so am hoping to ask if I can volunteer in their offices to learn about international student recruitment, so I can add that to my profile.

On top of that, I've also volunteered on here for five years, so I have a lot of knowledge about UCAS and various university courses.

Is this enough? Is there any other work experience I would need to get to add to my profile?
That’s plenty for most entry level admissions jobs.

Different universities have different structures but keep an eye on jobs.ac.uk for vacancies. “Assistant” is usually the entry level with “Administrator” and “Manager” or “Coordinator” the higher steps. Have a look at the job descriptions for the different jobs to get a feel for the different areas of work involved at different universities. Alongside the day to day processing and responding to enquiries jobs can include all sorts of extra bits:
- project management (changes to processing or admissions systems, confirmation and clearing)
- presenting (at open days ucas fairs and similar)
- comms management (using CRMs, copy writing emails, letters and website content)
- database and data management (the main admissions systems in the UK are SITS (also called eVision - the most expensive but the best by far), Campus and another one I’ve forgotten). Some jobs are 100% web based others will expect you to train to use the client database access to make some changes.
- policy (especially with all the talk around PQA this is high profile at the moment, translating policy changes nationally into local policies and processes is a major task).
Last edited by PQ; 2 weeks ago
Sandtrooper
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
That’s plenty for most entry level admissions jobs.

Different universities have different structures but keep an eye on jobs.ac.uk for vacancies. “Assistant” is usually the entry level with “Administrator” and “Manager” or “Coordinator” the higher steps. Have a look at the job descriptions for the different jobs to get a feel for the different areas of work involved at different universities. Alongside the day to day processing and responding to enquiries jobs can include all sorts of extra bits:
- project management (changes to processing or admissions systems, confirmation and clearing)
- presenting (at open days ucas fairs and similar)
- comms management (using CRMs, copy writing emails, letters and website content)
- database and data management (the main admissions systems in the UK are SITS (also called eVision - the most expensive but the best by far), Campus and another one I’ve forgotten). Some jobs are 100% web based others will expect you to train to use the client database access to make some changes.
- policy (especially with all the talk around PQA this is high profile at the moment, translating policy changes nationally into local policies and processes is a major task).
Thanks so much for this detailed response, PQ! That's good to know that I have enough experience. I'll try to make sure that I get some training in databases, as I have done everything else on your list. Do you think that the two year gap will worry them?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Sandtrooper)
Thanks so much for this detailed response, PQ! That's good to know that I have enough experience. I'll try to make sure that I get some training in databases, as I have done everything else on your list. Do you think that the two year gap will worry them?
Not at all. Especially given the gap is for teaching! One of the trickiest parts of the work in admissions is communicating and building good relationships with academic staff who have dozens of other priorities and pressures. Teaching is a really good set of skills to bring into an admissions role.
Sandtrooper
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by PQ)
Not at all. Especially given the gap is for teaching! One of the trickiest parts of the work in admissions is communicating and building good relationships with academic staff who have dozens of other priorities and pressures. Teaching is a really good set of skills to bring into an admissions role.
That's really reassuring, thank you! I've rotated around a couple of university departments, so I should be able to show all of the soft skills they need in a HE role. Fingers crossed it works out (although I realise I am looking very far ahead).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (170)
41.67%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (61)
14.95%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (169)
41.42%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
1.96%

Watched Threads