Choosing a Medical School: Dundee, Aberdeen and St Andrews

Watch this thread
Charlie_Campbell
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi everyone,

I have been really fortunate this year to have received 3 offers to study medicine from Dundee, Aberdeen and St. Andrews. Unfortunately my top choice, Glasgow, rejected me so now I'm struggling to decide between the three different Unis. I'm being drawn towards Dundee because of the course structure, the fact that the med school is in Ninewells and the opportunity for very early patient contact but, due to COVID, I've been unable to see any of the Unis in person or visit the cities which makes deciding where I'm going to study and live for the next 5-6 years a very difficult task. Can anyone who has either decided or studied in one of these Unis please tell me which one you'd recommend and why?
Abzug you
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Charlie_Campbell)
Hi everyone,

I have been really fortunate this year to have received 3 offers to study medicine from Dundee, Aberdeen and St. Andrews. Unfortunately my top choice, Glasgow, rejected me so now I'm struggling to decide between the three different Unis. I'm being drawn towards Dundee because of the course structure, the fact that the med school is in Ninewells and the opportunity for very early patient contact but, due to COVID, I've been unable to see any of the Unis in person or visit the cities which makes deciding where I'm going to study and live for the next 5-6 years a very difficult task. Can anyone who has either decided or studied in one of these Unis please tell me which one you'd recommend and why?
Congratulations!
I’m happy to share my impression from open days in 2019 as I visited Dundee, Aberdeen, St Andrews and Glasgow.
Courses at Aberdeen and Dundee felt quite similar and both had well organised tours and information. The Medical teaching building in Aberdeen is quite detached from the main university campus so it felt quite isolated from the main campus, library, and student life! Medical students in Dundee are based at Ninewells hospital but the main student campus felt closer so perhaps easier to get involved in what’s going on at the campus and integrate with other students. St. Andrews medical open day was also good and the course there is really unique, one of few to do dissection and you have 3 years based in St Andrews follow by three years at a partner university so depends if you view that as a positive or negative factor. As St Andrews is a small town, everything was within easy walking distance.
Dundee has had a lot of investment in recent years including a lot of redevelopment of its waterfront area, the university and town both had a really friendly feel. Dundee is more central and has better links to get to Glasgow or Edinburgh
Aberdeen although the main campus was nice the town feels really run down, industrial, and its really cold so far north.
St Andrews had a lovely historic town centre, Sandy beaches and a castle but if you like clubs and nightlife then it’s not the place for you!
Good luck choosing, in reality all are good options to have.
Charlie_Campbell
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Abzug you)
Congratulations!
I’m happy to share my impression from open days in 2019 as I visited Dundee, Aberdeen, St Andrews and Glasgow.
Courses at Aberdeen and Dundee felt quite similar and both had well organised tours and information. The Medical teaching building in Aberdeen is quite detached from the main university campus so it felt quite isolated from the main campus, library, and student life! Medical students in Dundee are based at Ninewells hospital but the main student campus felt closer so perhaps easier to get involved in what’s going on at the campus and integrate with other students. St. Andrews medical open day was also good and the course there is really unique, one of few to do dissection and you have 3 years based in St Andrews follow by three years at a partner university so depends if you view that as a positive or negative factor. As St Andrews is a small town, everything was within easy walking distance.
Dundee has had a lot of investment in recent years including a lot of redevelopment of its waterfront area, the university and town both had a really friendly feel. Dundee is more central and has better links to get to Glasgow or Edinburgh
Aberdeen although the main campus was nice the town feels really run down, industrial, and its really cold so far north.
St Andrews had a lovely historic town centre, Sandy beaches and a castle but if you like clubs and nightlife then it’s not the place for you!
Good luck choosing, in reality all are good options to have.
Thank you so much for your detailed response. This has really helped my decision making.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (278)
41.8%
The paper was reasonable (277)
41.65%
Not feeling great about that exam... (60)
9.02%
It was TERRIBLE (50)
7.52%

Watched Threads