kat.gatie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey, so I'm an international student and would like to apply to UK universities without using the UCAS portal. Are there any universities that offer direct application portals for international students? please let me know I would be very grateful.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by kat.gatie)
Hey, so I'm an international student and would like to apply to UK universities without using the UCAS portal. Are there any universities that offer direct application portals for international students? please let me know I would be very grateful.
UK universities have a contract with UCAS that all undergraduate full time degree applications have to come through UCAS.

There's a few exceptions for things like foundation years or courses that are only available to international students or with unusual start dates. And a few universities accept applications through the Common App (but that costs more than UCAS)

Why can't you apply using UCAS? You get 5 choices that way
Last edited by PQ; 1 month ago
Arden University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi there,

If you are looking for an alternative, Arden University provides the ability to apply for a degree independently. It is predominantly a distance learning university, with the opportunity to study through blended learning, whereby half the study is completed at a study centre and the other half at home. I am not sure if this would be of any benefit to you, but it may be something worth having a look at as you do not have to apply through UCAS. We provide a variety of degrees - undergraduate, masters, MBA, foundation years - in subjects including psychology, criminology, accounting, health and social care, business, computing, law, finance etc.

We have a guide for international students you may be interested in reading: https://arden.ac.uk/studying-with-us...-student-guide

Hope this helps

Toni Bennett
Arden University Student Ambassador
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Bangor Uni)
Hi kat.gatie,

Every University will be different and it can depend sometime where outside the UK you are applying from. Having said this International Students can apply directly with Bangor University, have a read here - https://www.bangor.ac.uk/international/applying.

The main difference is that through UCAS you can apply for up to 5 courses at any University through one application where as if you go direct you will need to make a single application for each course you wish to apply for.

Hope this helps
Rhian
How does that work with the UCAS Business Rules in your contract with UCAS (page 11 here https://www.ucas.com/file/366691/dow...token=5UycyRoa )
"2. The standard application route should be used to recruit applicants in most cases. The Record of Prior Acceptance (RPA) can be used according to exemptions listed in the Admissions Guide but must only be used in applicants’ best interests and must never be used in order to curtail student choice"
(the exemptions for RPAs are only allowed for UF offers for people with no UCAS application applying to a single UK choice)
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by kat.gatie)
What course? There are a few (usually private) medical schools that will accept direct applications, even circumventing the "four-medical-schools" rule.

- UCLan
- Buckingham
- Brunel
- Northumbria / St George's Uni comes to mind.
Last edited by ecolier; 1 month ago
cchloepx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why don't you want to apply with UCAS? Every other student applies to UK unis with UCAS so why should it be any different for others?
As those above have said, the majority of UK unis have a contract with UCAS, so there aren't other options. If you don't want to apply to unis through UCAS, then maybe consider university elsewhere? I'm pretty sure US universities are applied to directly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (1)
50%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (1)
50%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (0)
0%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (0)
0%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (0)
0%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (0)
0%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (0)
0%

Watched Threads