The Student Room Group

Multiple A-Levels for a Single Subject, but from different exam boards to farm UCAS?

Okay Ladies and Gentlemen, here's the lowdown;

I'm currently studying A Level Maths (Edexcel), Physics (AQA) and CompSci (OCR) in first year.

Now I've been weighing my options for uni and at the moment I'm looking at around 156 UCAS Points which ig will be plenty for most of the courses I'm looking at (Aerospace Engineering mEng) but I'd really like to stand out in my interviews.

And so initially I thought about doing an extra course, maybe an AS or a BTEC L3 in something I know a little about already, maybe Computing, ICT or Business etc etc, but it seemed like a lot of extra work.

And then it hit me - a lot of the specifications for A-Levels aren't radically different between exam boards. Like the fundamental ideas of the subject are covered by all of the different courses.

Now of course there will be some aspect of variance between them, maybe specific experiments in physics or certain frameworks in CompSci will be present in OCR but not in Pearson, but I reckon I could potentially scrape a pass in another exam board's paper by transferring my skills learnt from my current courses and blagging the questions I never learnt the answers to.

So what if I were to complete my current courses as normal, then go on to enter the equivalent exams for the same subjects, as an external candidate?

To be honest I'm not even sure if it's allowed and it might not be particularly impressive to a Uni if my qualifications are all in the same subjects, but at least my UCAS score would be pretty clutch.

So instead of my application saying something like this:

A Level Maths (Edexcel) - A* - 56pts
A Level Computing (OCR) - A* - 56pts
A Level Physics (AQA) - A - 48pts

= 160pts

Maybe it could look like this:

+A Level Maths (AQA) - D - 24pts
+A Level Maths (OCR) - C - 32pts
+A Level Maths (WJEC) - D - 24pts

+A Level Computing (AQA) - C - 32pts
+A Level Computing (WJEC) - C - 32pts

+A Level Physics (OCR) - D - 24pts
+A Level Physics (Edexcel) - D - 24pts
+A Level Physics (WJEC) - D - 24pts

=332pts

I understand that there might be additional admin fees etc and a logistical nightmare in finding schools that accept external applicants for each of these courses but I mean 332 is a pretty big flex

So what do you guys think? Is it possible or is there a gaping hole in my plot here?
This is pointless, for multiple reasons.

To begin with, most universities don't use the UCAS Tariff, and those that do usually do not require very high points from the tariff (usually equivalent to like BCC or something...), and hence you can realistically meet those entry criteria without taking extra versions of the same course. So it's a moot point in that regard.

Secondly, university admissions staff aren't stupid. They're going to see you're just taking multiple versions of the same exam, and that isn't going to impress them particularly even if you do well in them (probably just make them slightly confused about why you are doing it). If you do badly in different versions of essentially the same subject, then that might raise some red flags about your actual ability in that subject, so that might even backfire.

Also this isn't something that will "stand out in interview" and the only unis I know of that interview for that subject don't use the UCAS tariff, so see point one again. If anything, they would just ask you in the interview "wtf?" (see point two), or more likely just ignore it and proceed with the interview as normal - which for those that interview (Oxbridge and maybe Imperial, essentially), will be trying to give you unfamiliar problems that you can solve with what you know, but that requires a bit of thinking to work towards a solution. They also aren't necessarily interested in the actual solution, but likely more how you reason towards it.

Finally, universities usually don't consider multiple A-levels with overlapping content (e.g. human biology and biology, economics and business studies) towards meeting entry requirements, so almost certainly will not consider multiple A-levels taken in the same subject.

Essentially, you are misunderstanding on several levels how universities assess applications for university study. The reality is that your proposed plan at best will make no difference, and at worst may harm your chances by either a) making universities raise an eyebrow at the fact you got an A* in one maths exam and a D in another one, or b) cause you to spread yourself too thinly preparing for the exams and do poorly in all of them.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by artful_lounger
This is pointless, for multiple reasons.

To begin with, most universities don't use the UCAS Tariff, and those that do usually do not require very high points from the tariff (usually equivalent to like BCC or something...), and hence you can realistically meet those entry criteria without taking extra versions of the same course. So it's a moot point in that regard.

Secondly, university admissions staff aren't stupid. They're going to see you're just taking multiple versions of the same exam, and that isn't going to impress them particularly even fi you do well in them (probably just make them slightly confused about why you are doing it). If you do badly in different versions of essentially the same subject, then that might raise some red flags about your actual ability in that subject, so that might even backfire.

Also this isn't something that will "stand out in interview" and the only unis I know of that interview for that subject don't use the UCAS tariff, so see point one again. If anything, they would just ask you in the interview "wtf?" (see point two), or more likely just ignore it and proceed with the interview as normal - which for those that interview (Oxbridge and maybe Imperial, essentially), will be trying to give you unfamiliar problems that you can solve with what you know, but that requires a bit of thinking to work towards a solution. They also aren't necessarily interested in the actual solution, but likely more how you reason towards it.

Essentially, you are misunderstanding on several levels how universities assess applications for university study. The reality is that your proposed plan at best will make no difference, and at worst may harm your chances by either a) making universities raise an eyebrow at the fact you got an A* in one maths exam and a D in another one, or b) cause you to spread yourself too thinly preparing for the exams and do poorly in all of them.

Finally, universities usually don't consider multiple A-levels with overlapping content (e.g. human biology and biology, economics and business studies) towards meeting entry requirements, so almost certainly will not consider multiple A-levels taken in the same subject.

Haha alright, thanks for the quick reply. Certainly did seem like a bit of a crazy idea, maybe an extra AS or an EPQ is the way forward.
Original post by CameronC2k21
Haha alright, thanks for the quick reply. Certainly did seem like a bit of a crazy idea, maybe an extra AS or an EPQ is the way forward.

I think your best option, especially if you want to aim for "top" unis for engineering, would be to take AS Further Maths if you can't take the full A-level. It would be useful for admissions, and very useful for when you actually get onto the degree programme. Even in just the AS FM you cover a lot of the topics that you really want to have had some exposure to before starting an engineering degree (mostly complex numbers and matrices, plus extra work in vectors and calculus), and it gives them more of an indication of your mathematical ability and motivation to do a lot of mathematical work (which is basically the sum of an engineering degree).

An EPQ can be nice to do and give you some interesting stuff to talk about in your personal statement, and a couple unis do give reduced offers to people with high grades in an EPQ, but most just consider it a bonus. If you don't have a pretty clear idea for a project for the EPQ it's not really worth doing just to add a qualification - it's most useful if you have something extracurricular you would be doing anyway, which is suitable for an EPQ, which you can then make into a formal curricular activity.
Reply 4
It would be completely pointless but also impossible. The exam timetables are synchronised so they all have the same subject at the same time and moving the time of an exam because you are already taking the subject with a different board is not allowed
Original post by CameronC2k21
Okay Ladies and Gentlemen, here's the lowdown;

I'm currently studying A Level Maths (Edexcel), Physics (AQA) and CompSci (OCR) in first year.

Now I've been weighing my options for uni and at the moment I'm looking at around 156 UCAS Points which ig will be plenty for most of the courses I'm looking at (Aerospace Engineering mEng) but I'd really like to stand out in my interviews.

And so initially I thought about doing an extra course, maybe an AS or a BTEC L3 in something I know a little about already, maybe Computing, ICT or Business etc etc, but it seemed like a lot of extra work.

And then it hit me - a lot of the specifications for A-Levels aren't radically different between exam boards. Like the fundamental ideas of the subject are covered by all of the different courses.

Now of course there will be some aspect of variance between them, maybe specific experiments in physics or certain frameworks in CompSci will be present in OCR but not in Pearson, but I reckon I could potentially scrape a pass in another exam board's paper by transferring my skills learnt from my current courses and blagging the questions I never learnt the answers to.

So what if I were to complete my current courses as normal, then go on to enter the equivalent exams for the same subjects, as an external candidate?

To be honest I'm not even sure if it's allowed and it might not be particularly impressive to a Uni if my qualifications are all in the same subjects, but at least my UCAS score would be pretty clutch.

So instead of my application saying something like this:

= 160pts

Maybe it could look like this:

+A Level Maths (AQA) - D - 24pts
+A Level Maths (OCR) - C - 32pts
+A Level Maths (WJEC) - D - 24pts

+A Level Computing (AQA) - C - 32pts
+A Level Computing (WJEC) - C - 32pts

+A Level Physics (OCR) - D - 24pts
+A Level Physics (Edexcel) - D - 24pts
+A Level Physics (WJEC) - D - 24pts

=332pts

I understand that there might be additional admin fees etc and a logistical nightmare in finding schools that accept external applicants for each of these courses but I mean 332 is a pretty big flex

So what do you guys think? Is it possible or is there a gaping hole in my plot here?

There is no point lol.
Plus idk if you know this, but for same subjects on different exam boards, they all host the exams on the same day so idk how u are gonna manage to your maths exams all on the same day, its gonna be a nightmare for you.

Quick Reply

Latest