marinafinn
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I am absolutely shocked and disgusted by this system, and just wondered what other people's thoughts are on it.

I'm N. Irish and going to be going to an English uni. My household income is under £19,000 between my mum and dad to support themselves and me and my younger sister, so needless to say I would be receiving the highest possible amount they offer when they take that into account. I have just discovered that the student finance I can receive, between both the maintenance loan AND maintenance grant, is still almost £3k LESS than what someone in England can get up to. I would understand this perhaps if it was about cost of living being higher in England, but I'm literally going to an English uni too? And a typically posh expensive one at that?? I will be paying the exact same amount as an English person who's getting that £3k extra in maintenance.

Just wondering if anyone knows why this is and how on earth it's fair?? Firstly they want us to repay our loans a whole £6k earlier than the English (who don't have to start paying back until earning over £26k), and now they won't even loan us enough money to afford accommodation?

Anyway, f*ck the system.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (190)
5.05%
Uncertainty around my education (552)
14.66%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (420)
11.16%
Lack of purpose or motivation (518)
13.76%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (188)
4.99%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (225)
5.98%
Loneliness (316)
8.39%
Financial worries (138)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (146)
3.88%
Exposure to negative news/social media (168)
4.46%
Lack of real life entertainment (214)
5.68%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (336)
8.92%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (354)
9.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed